IGNORED

Mark Ashton live on SSN

BCFC1512

19 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Its in our interest to Support a salary cap, dont know how it could apply to relegated premier league clubs though

The championship is so disjointed with the payments received on relegation. It seems odd to reward clubs for failure - to see clubs like Bournemouth who’ve overspent to get promoted to be rewarded with three years of payment is wrong in my opinion. Clubs who are promoted should budget in the event of relegation there is sufficient funds paid by simply being in the  premier league 

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Its in our interest to Support a salary cap, dont know how it could apply to relegated premier league clubs though

If it’s applied in the same way as LG1/2, then it will be based on a squad size (25 in this case) and salary cap based on 25 multiplied by the average Champ salary of £720k per annum which means a cap of £18m.

Under 21s are excluded from the calculation, and any players loaned out can have their wage contribution deducted too.

Any current contract above £720k pa will be treated as £720k until it is renewed (any club, not just relegated clubs).  Any new player contract will be treated at its value.

If you go over £18m you are fined on a sliding scale, the more you go over the more you are fined, and that money is distributed equally to any clubs that stay within £18m.

Also, don’t forget most players contracts either include a relegation reduction, or more common these days is that a Prem player will sign two contracts, a Prem one and a Champ one.  If clubs agree that the Champ contract to be greater than £720k, then they are risking penalties.

In terms of compliance, EFL expect regular feeds of payroll data in line with HMRC, so if you try to fiddle it by paying players without it going through payroll, you are asking for a double whammy of trouble.

5 minutes ago, HiddenGem7 said:

I can't help feeling that if this comes to pass, we will end up in a few years in a group of 10-12 clubs with a squad of exactly 25 players all on exactly £720k p.a. each, in which case I don't see how that benefits us at all.

Young players not included means you can spend more on older players.

3 hours ago, HiddenGem7 said:

I can't help feeling that if this comes to pass, we will end up in a few years in a group of 10-12 clubs with a squad of exactly 25 players all on exactly £720k p.a. each, in which case I don't see how that benefits us at all.

Well compared to the likes of villa, presumably their wage bill 2 years ago exceeded that by miles, so does bournemouth and stokes this year,,, so if they have to cut salarys then it means a more even playing field for clubs like our to compete in.

There’s a piece in the Post with regards to Ashton saying the club support a salary cap for the Championship.

We were among 13 clubs that spent 100% or more of our revenue on wages! 
Reading spent 226% of their revenue on wages! How is that even feasible?

And Birmingham are asking for a handout despite just receiving £30m from the sale of Bellingham! And this what I meant on a previous thread that some clubs shouldn’t be allowed to take any financial help on offer. If they couldn’t see what was happening here, then that’s their own problem, it’s not the Premier League’s or EFL’s position you have to provide money to clubs that can’t look after their own money!

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-ceo-claims-championship-4550108

Archived