IGNORED

Nagy

Harry

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

"Worst midfielder in many a year".

Somewhat of an overstatement. He clearly suits a true CM 3, which we seldom play- we come closer to that with Paterson in the side but while it's not the sole factor that seems to offer him a bit more protection- Palmer's defensive numbers are actually improved this season albeit a small sample size in the Cup. Put him in a side who consistently control the ball at this level and you see a different player I think, Nagy that is- whether that'll be us who knows but the jury on that aspect is very much out!

Nope. Not an overstatement. I think he’s terrible. 
You can always tell a poor player when people argue “put better players around him and he’d be better”. 
Pardoning my French, but non merde Sherlock 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Nope. Not an overstatement. I think he’s terrible. 
You can always tell a poor player when people argue “put better players around him and he’d be better”. 
Pardoning my French, but non merde Sherlock 

He's better in possession based sides- it's debatable as to whether we are a possession first side, in the League anyway.

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Honestly? 

There was a lot of giving the ball away, jogging by the side of his man & just casual play.

The opposition are good but he was really poor & was contributing very little when taken off.

Palmer is a waster. If we can get shot of somehow it would be a bonus. The bloke isn't interested.

21 minutes ago, Prinny said:

He's 4 years older, he needs to be better. Morrell was coming off unsuccessful loans to Sutton and Margate at this stage/age of his career. Massengo is a lower level championship player and is way ahead of him in development stages. Now that doesn't mean anything if he fails to develop but how did you judge Morrell at 19?

Nagy is weird. His flaw(because all championship players have flaws), is that his touch and passing just vary wildly. But his effort and energy were good, made some good intelligent runs and created space for others. I think you can have a player like that in the team, but he probably isn't justifying the cost as a back up central midfielder. I'm ok with Andy Weimann being CM rank 5-7 I don't think Adam Nagy is cost effective in that role.

i quite understand your point and thankyou for pointing out the age difference, i do see more potential in him than nagy i must admit but dont think hes ready for where we want to be yet

The frustrating thing about Nagy is that his strongest attribute is his fitness/stamina, but lacks in key areas required in the championship. His passing tends to slow our pace down, he doesn't risk the forward passes, and Physically he is dispossessed too easily. 

If his biggest asset is his ability to be a runner in CM, then I feel Weimann has proved to offer much more since transitioning to Centre Midfield. 

I can see him being sold before the window closes. 

15 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I honestly don't get the general confidence levels on here that Walsh and Morrell will tear up this league. 

Neither of them have a track record at this level. They've both had good loan spells in lower leagues. We saw against Northampton that our midfield looked amazing. It's not a given they'll deliver in championship games. 

Walsh looked a bit out of his depth for us before last season's loan. Maybe L1 is his level? Williams has form at this level but it could take a fair while before we know who is going to grab the MF slots. Right now Bakinson looks a good bet but on the basis of only a couple of games so that could change. 

Im a bit more optimistic about them than you are but I agree with general point that there is an assumption they are going to rip it up without them playing much in championship. 

11 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Palmer is a waster. If we can get shot of somehow it would be a bonus. The bloke isn't interested.

Disagree strongly

13 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

To comment that a professional footballer isn’t interested isn’t just A lazy Comment but also , complete bollocks. If he’s not good enough or doesn’t fit the way we play then fine , but not interested! 

Certainly hasn't done himself any good with that performance 

It must be harder for the international lads not being able to have family visit UK or travel to be with extended family 

I bet Nagy, Massengo etc have suffered as a result. 

Just feels like Nagy could be a great player but something isn't clicking. 

9 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Certainly hasn't done himself any good with that performance 

It must be harder for the international lads not being able to have family visit UK or travel to be with extended family 

I bet Nagy, Massengo etc have suffered as a result. 

Just feels like Nagy could be a great player but something isn't clicking. 

Massengo's family moved to Bristol didnt they?

There was an interview someone did with his Dad last year.

I didn’t think Nagy was bad enough for this thread. The midfield was not good but it wasn’t really the game for Palmer to play and I’d say the same for Brunt. They are two very good options when we can dominate a game but in this one that wasn’t going to be the case. 

Nagy I was disappointed in some of his play. Especially from a technical standpoint. He should be gifted enough to not have so many poor touches and misconnects striking the ball. I think he like Massengo lacks a bit of self control when getting around the pitch. Sometimes moving too much when maybe just drifting would suit. 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

If I’d have known he was gonna play, I wouldn’t have shelled out a tenner. 

The worst midfielder I’ve seen in many a year at our place. 

Watching him run around after El Ghazi tonight was like a slapstick comedy. I half expected El Ghazi to custard pie him at any time. 

He’s like a 10 year old playing in a men’s game. Runs everywhere, but does nothing. 

Lesson learnt for me tonight - wait for the team sheet before buying the stream. Awful. 

Harrrrrrrr?

He’s better than Gary Stanley.

We used to pay a tenner to get in the ground let alone stream it!

I’d have Shelton and Rennie in there with Smudger on one side and Mark Gavin on the other.

Then catch the City Dart back into the centre and have a 99p Burger, Chips and a Coke from Mickey Finn’s after the game.

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Not just on tonight’s performance though mate. He’s been dreadful for over a year now. 
I just can’t see anything positive in him. 

Unfitt, lack of of consistent game time? I dunno. He was class imo against Northampton. Granted it was lower league. 

8 hours ago, swanker said:

Didn’t watch the game or listen in on the radio but I take it Nagy was bad?

He got a hell of a lot of the ball, from the amount of times the commentator mispronounced his name anyway, but failed to do much with it.

That said, he certainly wasn’t alone.

12 minutes ago, Dog said:

Hes not amazing for his age. There have been plenty of 19 year olds over the years who have had a much bigger impact than Massengo has in this league.

As for him ever being championship standard I doubt we will see as he would have moved on by then.

Well down the pecking order now.

Who are these plenty of players? 

Your glass isn’t even ever half empty, it’s smashed on the floor in pieces 

18 minutes ago, Dog said:

Hes not amazing for his age. There have been plenty of 19 year olds over the years who have had a much bigger impact than Massengo has in this league.

As for him ever being championship standard I doubt we will see as he would have moved on by then.

Well down the pecking order now.

Mark these words. 

There will definitely be comments on this board in a similar vein about Bakinson a year or two ago. ‘Will never be up to it.. Plymouth fans said his problem is... he’s nowhere near first team.. blah blah’. 

Give massengo a chance to develop in a stable team with a clear plan, give him a clear role and he’s going to be class. 

We have more than one example in the team this season of young players who have been written off plenty on these boards and yet are now showing they are more than good enough for this level. (Remember the level last night was prem not championship).  And yet fans still make this same mistake of writing off a kid. 

9 hours ago, Harry said:

I think it's more a case of putting together players who work well together and complement each other. Goes for defence, midfield and attack.

15 minutes ago, Dog said:

Bellingham, Grealish, Brewster,James, Bird, Sibley, Knight, Bogle, Ryan Sessagnon, shackleton....

that's 10 off the top of my head feel free to spend some time educating yourself.

Players that went on to (or will go on to be) very good Premier League players.  Think you’ve proved the point for me.  Massengo doesn’t need to be as good as them at the same age to have a career at Championship level or higher.  Players improve from 19 to 22 you know and beyond. 

FYI I am fully educated thanks.  Just making you see things for yourself. 

Archived