IGNORED

Nagy

Harry

On 24/09/2020 at 23:18, Hunsupport said:

So he's the hated one. Nothing wrong with that. I'm on the other side so we'll never agree on this subject.

I saw him at Bologna also, never understood why signed him.

He is not good for Italian and English football, he has to play in Spain, Portugal or something with skinny opponents.

Hope we stay focused on playing Bakinson he's top compared with Nagy.

5 hours ago, Mihai said:

He is not good for Italian and English football, he has to play in Spain, Portugal or something with skinny opponents.

And you are absolutely sure that your comments are nothing to do with him being Hungarian "only Romania fan"?

2 minutes ago, 1stCityExile said:

And you are absolutely sure that your comments are nothing to do with him being Hungarian "only Romania fan"?

Yes, I m totally sure. I am talking about his body and talent. Hungary had and will have good footballers, they are getting better lately, compared with my country.

I m on the good side of the Hungary vs Romania thing. We are rivals but not enemies ?

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

My Hungarian mate who loves everything Hungarian even said Nagy isn't very good when we signed him!

Exactly what I am saying. I know things about him either. He s not bad but not suited for the "dirty" championship football. For this league you need a lot of footbalers or very good "natural fitted" guys. 46 games per season excluding cups and national team games..that is a lot, especially playing Saturday-monday a lot of times and even more now with the pandemic.

Normally one of the toughest leagues, the level of this league it is way over Hungarian/Romanian and the "3rd piramid" of first league nations.

9 hours ago, Mihai said:

Lightweight physically but also have to question his resilience and choices with the injury not sustained but worsened whilst on international duty. 

46 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Bit of a mystery that he has 38 caps for his country then.

Plus, he was by far the most senior midfielder selected in the squad that won 3-1 in Bulgaria last night to reach the Nations League playoff final, where he played the first 82 minutes (he came off when they were 3-0 up).

He may have had an injury hit first season with us & we may have so many options now that he is one we would consider moving on, but he has played 50 games in Serie A & as you say, has loads of caps (by 25) as first choice for a mid ranking European national team.

This complete dismissal of him is ridiculous.

Yes but you don't know how it is in Eastern Europe. Both Hungary and Bulgaria don't have enough good players, they are thrilled when someone goes to play in Western Championship so even if they were lucky to move on there, they are the main outlets to be selected for national teams.

The news papers around Eastern Europe sides are going crazy if a player get transferred to Crystal Palace let's say, they will write every week about how he played for Palace, and that news will be on the front page on the top of every other news. I find this weird as ****. I would write about them if they move to Barcelona or Bayern (and similar clubs).

So, yeah, 38 caps for Hungary doesn't mean anything. It is like Alexandru Maxim who plays in Germany for a few years and he feature in Romanian national team cause of that, but he is total s**t.

58 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Plus, he was by far the most senior midfielder selected in the squad that won 3-1 in Bulgaria last night to reach the Nations League playoff final, where he played the first 82 minutes (he came off when they were 3-0 up).

Did you watch the game because I did. Had to double check on half time if he was in the starting lineup. Anonymous at best...

I do feel the need to do our players down slightly frustrating. Nagy had a tough season last season with fitness issues early on and didn't really settle as a result. This season, other players are ahead of him and are a better fit for our current formation and you could reasonably argue that we've never had a formation that gets the best out of Nagy but that Nagy has not made enough of a case for himself to justify changing the formation to suit him. 

But the reality is that - between Bakinson finding form, Brunt and Williams signing, Paterson and Weimann adapting to new roles and Walsh and Morrell returning from successful loan spells - we've suddenly gone from midfield being arguably our weakest position to suddenly having a lot of potentially good players and, as a result, Nagy is not getting a look in. Unless he can force his way in then it would probably be in his interest and our interest for him to move elsewhere. But that doesn't make him a terrible player or mean there's some need to play down the fact he's rated within Hungary and clearly has some ability. 

I don't think there is any doubt at all that he is a Championship level player. He just isn't someone who fits into our team as it currently stands. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Not sure Hungury are that good are they?

You can look this sort of thing up.

Their FIFA ranking is 52, they made it to the Nations League playoff finals last night, whereas the likes of Ireland, Bosnia, Romania & Norway didn’t.

They aren’t France but they aren’t San Marino, either..

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Their FIFA ranking is 52, they made it to the Nations League playoff finals last night, whereas the likes of Ireland, Bosnia, Romania & Norway didn’t.

Exactly.

If you look at their recent results, they're broadly comparable to the other three home nations and Ireland. Essentially you'd expect a regular starting midfielder to be around about Championship level. 

On 08/10/2020 at 13:57, Mihai said:

Yes, I m totally sure. I am talking about his body and talent. Hungary had and will have good footballers, they are getting better lately, compared with my country.

I m on the good side of the Hungary vs Romania thing. We are rivals but not enemies ?

Fair enough then.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Basically, you are saying he's better than Roy Keane then. ?

I don't get these people saying Hungary isn't very good.  He's playing for his country.  And they aren't Andorra!!

There's loads of players who are regulars for their nations who we would not want here, so it doesn't really mean anything to me.

If it were a top nation then fair enough. 

Magnússon regularly gets in Iceland team who I think are probably often ranked quite highly, and he wasn't good enough for us.

Magnússon plays often (not always) for Iceland, though to be fair to them with a total population of under half a million and unlike Wales or Ireland no desire to go down the “my grandparent was born there” route, they have a very small pool to select from.

I think it is very arguable that he “wasn’t good enough for us” though, he is a regular for CSKA Moscow, a side that is often in the Champions League & finishes top four in the Russian league.

I actually think LJ used him as a scapegoat & he was plenty good enough, myself.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Magnússon plays often (not always) for Iceland, though to be fair to them with a total population of under half a million and unlike Wales or Ireland no desire to go down the “my grandparent was born there” route, they have a very small pool to select from.

I think it is very arguable that he “wasn’t good enough for us” though, he is a regular for CSKA Moscow, a side that is often in the Champions League & finishes top four in the Russian league.

I actually think LJ used him as a scapegoat & he was plenty good enough, myself.

Your view echoes my view.  When he joined City, he was the same age (23) as Vyner and Moore are now.

I thought his first half of his first season was good, he learned quickly.  Thought he was also good at LB in our 17/18 run too.

Fair enough. I thought he was not up to championship football and was amazed we got our money back. Champions league or doing well in Russia, a bit like international appearances, it doesn't mean much to me. How he does in the championship is what matters to me and I thought he was overrated by some fans.

Come on ! Maggers long throw  alone was worth 2 million,  like a missile into the box. ?  loved it 

As for the topic, AN, seems here for the duration I would be very surprised if he went out on loan or sold to a UK club. 

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Fair enough. I thought he was not up to championship football and was amazed we got our money back. Champions league or doing well in Russia, a bit like international appearances, it doesn't mean much to me. How he does in the championship is what matters to me

What a truly bizarre comment, how can you seriously say that?

Surely understanding what is effectively the pinnacle of football and how leagues compare is fundamental to rating a particular player?

Magnússon played against Milan & Real Madrid in that competition, saying that doesn’t mean much completely undermines your argument.

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Fair enough. I thought he was not up to championship football and was amazed we got our money back. Champions league or doing well in Russia, a bit like international appearances, it doesn't mean much to me. How he does in the championship is what matters to me and I thought he was overrated by some fans.

I don't think we've made many good signings from abroad. Holden looks like he's moving away from that and concentrating on bringing in players with experience of championship football.

I think the problem with Magnússon was he always seemed to have a catastrophic mistake in him, at some stage during every match. Normally due to a lack of concentration.

Unfortunately, these mistakes normally culminated in a goal against us (Cardiff, Preston, Man City spring to mind). You could see that LJ lost confidence in him; and with that Magnússon's own confidence dropped as a result.

There is definitely a good player there. You can't be an international; and play in the CL against the calibre of sides that he has, if he wasn't up to it. However for me, if he had stayed, he wouldn't have been first choice; and it was best for all parties to have a parting of the ways. 

The fact we got the fee that we did, shows the esteem that he is held in, in some quarters.

54 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

I think the problem with Magnússon was he always seemed to have a catastrophic mistake in him, at some stage during every match. Normally due to a lack of concentration.

Always seemed?  That’s not the Magnússon I watched in the majority of games.  As a CB, it’s the position I study most in the game, and pairings in particular.  The way they mark, the way then pass-on marking responsibility, the way they learn.  I think Hörður was fine at this level....⬇️⬇️⬇️

Unfortunately, these mistakes normally culminated in a goal against us (Cardiff, Preston, Man City spring to mind). You could see that LJ lost confidence in him; and with that Magnússon's own confidence dropped as a result.

...but of course he made mistakes, all CBs do.  Flint made plenty in the same period.  The head-coach played a CB system that was based around Flint, everyone else had to fit around him.  Flint never moved out of his right sided CB position, he’d never swap over to pick up the more dangerous opponent.  I recall a game v Blackburn when Sam Gallagher peeled onto Hörður every dead ball.  Why couldn’t Flint swap over.  Flint, don’t get me wrong, was a good servant, but he was massively selfish as a CB.  Look how narrow our RBs had to play to cover him...and fans wonder why the left winger always had loads of time.  Sorry, not ranting at you, just saying perceptions of some players mistakes over-highlighted against other players who got away with murder by comparison.

some piss-poor man management in there too.

...and who hadn’t been exposed by Man City!!

There is definitely a good player there. You can't be an international; and play in the CL against the calibre of sides that he has, if he wasn't up to it. However for me, if he had stayed, he wouldn't have been first choice; and it was best for all parties to have a parting of the ways.

for me, the use of “first choice” is over-used.  It’s a squad game these days, and not everyone in that squad will be of equal level.  Sometimes two lesser players in ability (on paper at least) form betters pairings than others.  And just because someone isn’t first choice doesn’t mean they aren’t good enough, it often means they just aren’t as good as the current incumbents...but can be more than proficient at the level required.  That’s how I rated Magnússon....plenty good enough for the level, but at the time not as good as Baker (alongside Flint), so Baker played.  Versatile to play LB too in our cup run.

it bugs me massively that as soon as someone isn’t in the starting line up, posters suddenly decree they aren’t good enough.

The fact we got the fee that we did, shows the esteem that he is held in, in some quarters.

Not a rant at you, just the subject matter ⬆️⬆️⬆️

7 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think we've made many good signings from abroad. Holden looks like he's moving away from that and concentrating on bringing in players with experience of championship football.

Didn't he play in the win v Man Utd and a few other games in that good spell of form?

Archived