IGNORED

What's the best striking partnership for this season?

Prinny

What's the best striking partnership for this season?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Considering the way we play. Who are the best (most effective) pair for us?

• Martin + Wells
    • Martin + Diédhiou
    • Martin + Semenyo
    • Martin + Weimann
    • Wells + Diédhiou
    • Wells + Semenyo
    • Wells + Weimann
    • Diédhiou + Semenyo
    • Diédhiou + Weimann
    • Semenyo + Weimann

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/04/20 at 21:00

I wondered what people thought of the pairings and how they fit our game plan and how effective they are.  I think just like central midfield the game plan suits runners, and people who are physical but we have a striker who doesn't fit, but is too high quality to leave out even if it looks bad.

So I actually think what suits us stylistically is the Martin + Semenyo partnership. But Wells will score, and the other two won't get his amount of goals. So we look best when MY assumed end of season top scorer isn't in the team but it's less effective because he's so good at what he does comparatively. I don't think Fam fits what we do at the minute. Martin didn't seem too keen on Weimann in an interview because they didn't work well together looking at the stats but I weirdly think it should work stylistically.

Thoughts and votes welcome! (I voted Wells and Martin for reasons above)

Just now, Lew-T said:

Went for Martin and Wells. From what I’ve seen so far, Martin and Semenyo would be my second choice.

Agree with this. Two great potential combinations there. Fam currently my 5th choice centre forward behind those three and Weimann. Time to move him on I think, he just doesn't seem to fit the system.

1 minute ago, YorkshireSection said:

Pointless???? 

Talking of which........... Uh hummmm

Of course it’s pointless/meaningless and imponderable.

City are two games into the Championship campaign and way too early to form an opinion which two strikers will form the best partnership.

43 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The best link up would probably be Martin and Semenyo due to both being good on the ball with their back to goal. Martin can come deep. Semenyo can get in behind. Both good in the air. Both strong.

I think though Semenyo and Wells will become the best pair for Holden. I thought Semenyo looked class last night. Most of our attacking players really struggled, but he caused Villa problems.

Martin very good too though and I think any 2 of those 3 will work. So great options.

Fam is best in the lone role. I think he will be gone soon.

Antoine has been great so far this season, but I’ve yet to see the evidence for your sentence in bold.  He doesn’t play on the shoulder like say Wells does.  He’s not really a channel runner.

He might develop that.  I like him a lot, power, pace, etc.

In terms of the OP I like the options of Martin, Wells, Semenyo and Weimann, and it woukdnt be the end of the world (for me) if Diedhiou moved on.  We have to accept there is a financial implication to the size of our squad and someone has to go with some monetary value attached.

The 3 other candidates are Eliasson, O’Dowda and Palmer.  They have value.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

The best link up would probably be Martin and Semenyo due to both being good on the ball with their back to goal. Martin can come deep. Semenyo can get in behind. Both good in the air. Both strong.

I think though Semenyo and Wells will become the best pair for Holden. I thought Semenyo looked class last night. Most of our attacking players really struggled, but he caused Villa problems.

Martin very good too though and I think any 2 of those 3 will work. So great options.

Fam is best in the lone role. I think he will be gone soon.

Agreed. I went for Semenyo and Martin but that's very much based on current form. I don't think we've seen Wells get into his stride at City so far.

16 hours ago, WirralRobin said:

Agree with this. Two great potential combinations there. Fam currently my 5th choice centre forward behind those three and Weimann. Time to move him on I think, he just doesn't seem to fit the system.

Time to Move on last seasons top scorer and player of the season ? 

So easy to forget what fammy actually brings to the side ...

Martin looks good but hes only just started .

1 hour ago, bengalcub said:

Time to Move on last seasons top scorer and player of the season ? 

So easy to forget what fammy actually brings to the side ...

Martin looks good but hes only just started .

I really like Fam but I see Weimann moving back up top once Williams and Walsh are back and we don't need 5 senior strikers imo. I look at Fam and out of the 5 of them not only is he the most 'sellable' asset i.e I think we'd get the most money for him, you add in the contract situation and that I think he suits our 'Holdenball' system the least out of 5 and doesn't seem to have shown any signs of striking up a decent partnership with any of the others. Add in the progress we've seen from Semenyo so far this season  (I'd hate for his progress to be potentially stunted by resigning Fam on a big contract and reducing his game time as a result) and with all these points brought together, yes I would sell him if it was me.

Martin and Wells almost has to be the answer but I’d like to see Martin and Weimann for a couple matches and see how that works.

Truthfully almost anyone can work next to Martin. Have to hold my hand up and say I wasn’t impressed with the signing(caveat being if Fam goes would be ok). I have however been very wrong. What a player and hasn’t relied on pace his entire career. If he can keep himself fit he is worth every bit of a 3 year contract(2+1) and possibly a couple years more. 

Archived