IGNORED

Midfielders this window poll

RedNachos

Keep - Sell - Loan - Others  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lots of posts and comments with massively differentiating views on the likes of Morrell, Nagy and HNM. So what do we do with thim.

I've made polls to see what would you as a fanbase do with all these midfielders. Personally very interested to see the results.

No options I feel are unrealistic (no building the team around Morton) and if it's in doubt we could find a loan for player x we 'tout/search for loan'.

Obviously Joe Williams and Chris Brunt will not be options with both of them just signing so doubt we'll do anything rash.

If this is on the wrong forum please correct me.

1 hour ago, RedNachos said:

Lots of posts and comments with massively differentiating views on the likes of Morrell, Nagy and HNM. So what do we do with thim.

I've made polls to see what would you as a fanbase do with all these midfielders. Personally very interested to see the results.

No options I feel are unrealistic (no building the team around Morton) and if it's in doubt we could find a loan for player x we 'tout/search for loan'.

Obviously Joe Williams and Chris Brunt will not be options with both of them just signing so doubt we'll do anything rash.

If this is on the wrong forum please correct me.

Why do you want to loan out Bakinson ?

27 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Bakinson, Paterson, Massengo, Morrell and Palmer to stay. 

Walsh and Nagy listen to offers. Walsh the contract is not signed. Nagy not sure he ever adapts fully to Engalnd. 

Isn't Paterson in the same situation as Walsh, i.e. both out of contract next year?

Do you advocate we listen to offers for Paterson as well?

34 minutes ago, Bernard Lerring said:

Who's the nutter/ joker who recommends giving bakinson a championship loan?! 

I'd suggest they are either blind or they are THAT person who always comes out with horrendous opinions under the guise of "just playing devil's advocate"

It’s the OP. I’ve asked him why but he’s ignored it so far 

9 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Isn't Paterson in the same situation as Walsh, i.e. both out of contract next year?

Do you advocate we listen to offers for Paterson as well?

I am not sure to be honest. In this situation though, I think it is easier to give Paterson a new deal because he is approaching 30. Walsh will have more suitors if his contract is expired and is looking for a club than Paterson would. So think it gives us time on Paterson if it is his last year. 

With Walsh, I am as big a fan as any. I have been saying he could be a Barry Bannan type since his first full season with us. It is just that we can’t let multiple assets leave for free in this financial climate. Walsh is possibly the best of the young midfielders of Williams, Morrell, Massengo and even Nagy(who isn’t old anyway) but until he has a new deal I am not sure I would play him over the others. 

15 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am not sure to be honest. In this situation though, I think it is easier to give Paterson a new deal because he is approaching 30. Walsh will have more suitors if his contract is expired and is looking for a club than Paterson would. So think it gives us time on Paterson if it is his last year. 

Surely this means that of the 2 Walsh is the one we should be doing everything we can to keep?

We don't know why Walsh hasn't signed the new contract - terms not satisfactory, insufficient reassurance he will get enough games, with our plethora of midfield options, to progress further, or just biding his time to see what other interest there is.

We do know he's been offered a new contract though, and so far (ominously imo) hasn't yet chosen to sign it, both of which are more than can be said for Paterson, who strangely most don't seem to have noticed is in the same position contract wise.

27 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah me too, it's an interesting poll but some of the possible answers don't reflect my true stance because of how they're worded.

I don't want to see any of our current players 'forced out of the club', so though I'd like to vote I probably won't while that remains the only option for them to be moved on permanently/ sold.

Perhaps one of the mods - @phantom @Dollymarie could change that last option if the OP has no objection..

2 hours ago, Bernard Lerring said:

I'd suggest they are either blind or they are THAT person who always comes out with horrendous opinions under the guise of "just playing devil's advocate"

Delete.....should read the whole of your post first ???

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Surely this means that of the 2 Walsh is the one we should be doing everything we can to keep?

We don't know why Walsh hasn't signed the new contract - terms not satisfactory, insufficient reassurance he will get enough games, with our plethora of midfield options, to progress further, or just biding his time to see what other interest there is.

We do know he's been offered a new contract though, and so far (ominously imo) hasn't yet chosen to sign it, both of which are more than can be said for Paterson, who strangely most don't seem to have noticed is in the same position contract wise.

Your first line is my point. Perhaps we are doing everything we can to get him to sign and he isn’t. The fee we can get after this window will be much lower. 

As for Paterson, think it is a calmer situation because of his age. Don’t think top championship clubs would be in for him so looking at teams around us or lower championship. He is already here and already a main piece. Perhaps more likely he gets a deal after the window closes as it is one less thing to worry about while the window is open. 

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Your first line is my point. Perhaps we are doing everything we can to get him to sign and he isn’t. The fee we can get after this window will be much lower. 

As for Paterson, think it is a calmer situation because of his age. Don’t think top championship clubs would be in for him so looking at teams around us or lower championship. He is already here and already a main piece. Perhaps more likely he gets a deal after the window closes as it is one less thing to worry about while the window is open. 

Like everyone else, it seems, I like Pato, but, as I've said, I would accept him leaving now if it really comes down to keeping him or Walsh. I'm certainly not worried at the thought of him leaving at a time his good form might attract interest.

We know Pato has been in one of his purple patches recently when he's exciting to watch and a great asset, we also know that his good form will subside and stop . We've seen it throughout his time here, and it was a feature of his career before AG.

Hence the club were almost certainly ready to sanction his departure to Derby had he impressed them enough to bid.

The thought that Walsh would be easier to sell is hardly a good reason to keep Paterson instead IF (and let's not forget they will competing for very similar roles in City's midfield) it is becoming a  case of one or the other.

If Walsh should go, and Paterson - who is also hedging his bets - soon after signs a new contract to take him into his early 30's, have the club really done the best thing for it's  future?

If the '3rd man' in this equation, Palmer, goes - I've now come round to thinking that would be best for all parties - could we keep both the others here happily? Quite probably but that would mean selling Kasey very soon imo., and are there suitors?

I should think it is decision time for Paterson too, not so much from him but from the club. Are City wiling to offer the long term contract he would no doubt require at his age, with not only his past sporadic form in mind, but also at the now known risk of losing younger players who may view the re signing of Pato as the signal chances will continue to be limited under a new manager and therefore it's time to move on themselves.

27 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Like everyone else, it seems, I like Pato, but, as I've said, I would accept him leaving now if it really comes down to keeping him or Walsh. I'm certainly not worried at the thought of him leaving at a time his good form might attract interest.

We know Pato has been in one of his purple patches recently when he's exciting to watch and a great asset, we also know that his good form will subside and stop . We've seen it throughout his time here, and it was a feature of his career before AG.

Hence the club were almost certainly ready to sanction his departure to Derby had he impressed them enough to bid.

The thought that Walsh would be easier to sell is hardly a good reason to keep Paterson instead IF (and let's not forget they will competing for very similar roles in City's midfield) it is becoming a  case of one or the other.

If Walsh should go, and Paterson - who is also hedging his bets - soon after signs a new contract to take him into his early 30's, have the club really done the best thing for it's  future?

If the '3rd man' in this equation, Palmer, goes - I've now come round to thinking that would be best for all parties - could we keep both the others here happily? Quite probably but that would mean selling Kasey very soon imo., and are there suitors?

I should think it is decision time for Paterson too, not so much from him but from the club. Are City wiling to offer the long term contract he would no doubt require at his age, with not only his past sporadic form in mind, but also at the now known risk of losing younger players who may view the re signing of Pato as the signal chances will continue to be limited under a new manager and therefore it's time to move on themselves.

I think age is a weird one in football. Paterson for 3 more years is the best of Paterson. We lose sight of it with football finance because we wouldn’t be able to sell him. Not sure he went to Derby for the best interests of the team more so because we bought two younger players in his position. He has beaten them both with DH here and even before he started after he was recalled. Paterson does blow hot and cold but that is why he is at Bristol City and not Leicester City. He can win us a game on our own and I don’t think we have anyone else like that. 

Easier to sell isn’t the reason I would sell him. It is just that he will have more options than Paterson and perhaps why Walsh hasn’t signed a new deal. He could be thinking why sign? If he plays and has a good season he gets more money than if he signs now. From us or from any champ club and perhaps lower prem ones. 

As Palmer I would let go. Probably a loan because not sure anyone buys him in covid times as is a gamble. He isn’t going to feature regularly here I don’t think and I believe he needs that to get to his best. 

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

People still clinging on to the hope that he comes good rather than basing their assessment on evidence

Just to play devil's advocate:

A lot of people are assuming that Walsh and Morrell are going to do really well this year and even potentially be our first choices based off a pair of very successful loans last year in L1. If Palmer had been in L1 on loan last year, how well do you think he would have done? My guess is pretty damn well - especially considering his performance against Northampton.

Palmer has almost 100 championship appearances to his name. I believe that's more than the other two have managed at ANY level so far. At Championship level Walsh has about 20, Morrell has 1.

They're all 23 years old.

Of course you could argue that because of that we can make a better judgement on Palmer, but in terms of "coming good" he's done more than the other two so far perhaps? What evidence are we using for our high hopes for Walsh and Morrell in comparison?

I'm of course not saying I'd keep him and ditch the others, but it's easy to forget he's also a young player - but one with an impressive record so far.

16 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Just to play devil's advocate:

A lot of people are assuming that Walsh and Morrell are going to do really well this year and even potentially be our first choices based off a pair of very successful loans last year in L1. If Palmer had been in L1 on loan last year, how well do you think he would have done? My guess is pretty damn well - especially considering his performance against Northampton.

Palmer has almost 100 championship appearances to his name. I believe that's more than the other two have managed at ANY level so far. At Championship level Walsh has about 20, Morrell has 1.

They're all 23 years old.

Of course you could argue that because of that we can make a better judgement on Palmer, but in terms of "coming good" he's done more than the other two so far perhaps? What evidence are we using for our high hopes for Walsh and Morrell in comparison?

I'm of course not saying I'd keep him and ditch the others, but it's easy to forget he's also a young player - but one with an impressive record so far.

Just pointing out

Both have at least performed excellently for a whole season , albeit in League 1

Kasey Palmer has had 4 League managers now , and not been fancied / a regular pick under any of them 

• This topic was featured and unfeatured
3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't want to see any of our current players 'forced out of the club', so though I'd like to vote I probably won't while that remains the only option for them to be moved on permanently/ sold.

Perhaps one of the mods - @phantom @Dollymarie could change that last option if the OP has no objection..

I don’t seem to have the magic powers to edit the poll sorry. . .

18 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Why do you want to loan out Bakinson ?

5 hours ago, Bernard Lerring said:

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s the OP. I’ve asked him why but he’s ignored it so far 

Was a wee bit drunk last night while making this so can't remember why. I'm sober now and can't understand that decision either.

Archived