IGNORED

National League start and loanees

Silvio Dante

Just reading up on the fact that the NL season may not start as anticipated due to lack of spectators.

Thought struck me that 

a) What a good job Tinnion is doing in securing league loans for players such as Edwards/Webb. In the case of the latter, he was Yate last year so Newport massive step up. 

b) In the counterpoint, we have players who are undoubtedly ready for a loan at that kind of level - I’m thinking Vince Harper, and although it’d be a step back from FGR, Wollacott and Morton in view of how far away they are from the first team.

So, development wise, with the NL showing no signs of starting, do you loan these players to a level or two down or keep them in the U23s?

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Morton I'd loan to league 2.

Wollacott probably needed as third keeper for us.

I'm not sure which others are ready for league loans. Harper has so far been loaned to Gloucester, Weston and Bath. So 2 leagues away from league two is the highest he has played so far.

I think Benarous looked absolutely superb against Taunton and can't imagine he'd struggle at league 2 level. Just looks a class above to me.

I wouldn't really want to loan a player to any team unless they play a fair bit. Cundy to Exeter was a terrible loan and don't really want that kind of loan happening too often.

Might have slightly misinterpreted what I meant - I don’t think it’s likely Harper was ready for L2 (although the same could be argued for Webb), it’s whether we loan him to Yate/Weston level or keep in U23 as that’s likely the highest level available - but he’s probably better than that.

Morton I’d like to loan to L2 but it’s unlikely we’d get that with no takers thus far.

JoJo understand keeping as no 3 but he won’t play barring a crisis.

Just conscious there could be some real stunting of development 

26 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Morton I'd loan to league 2.

Wollacott probably needed as third keeper for us.

I'm not sure which others are ready for league loans. Harper has so far been loaned to Gloucester, Weston and Bath. So 2 leagues away from league two is the highest he has played so far.

I think Benarous looked absolutely superb against Taunton and can't imagine he'd struggle at league 2 level. Just looks a class above to me.

I wouldn't really want to loan a player to any team unless they play a fair bit. Cundy to Exeter was a terrible loan and don't really want that kind of loan happening too often.

Physicality 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Thought he looked strong against Taunton. Looks like he has it all to me. 

Only one game of course but his balance and low centre of gravity. I think he looks special.

The lads not long turned 17 it’s a comparison against amateur footballers to experienced pros

34 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

And I wouldn't say any of the others who played really well in that game would be ready for league two.

Obviously I could be wrong. But other very special 17 year olds have done really well at even higher levels than league two. He is a special talent so wouldn't surprise me if he did well in that league.

Okay then the other obvious element, can't see us letting him live wherever he'd go on loan (presumably Newport/FGR/Exeter at furthest) due to his age/covid, if he hasn't passed a driving test yet then he'd need a driver put on for him by the club and really how integrated would he be with that club? Just appearing at training and matches, in reality not the best experience.

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just reading up on the fact that the NL season may not start as anticipated due to lack of spectators.

Thought struck me that 

a) What a good job Tinnion is doing in securing league loans for players such as Edwards/Webb. In the case of the latter, he was Yate last year so Newport massive step up. 

b) In the counterpoint, we have players who are undoubtedly ready for a loan at that kind of level - I’m thinking Vince Harper, and although it’d be a step back from FGR, Wollacott and Morton in view of how far away they are from the first team.

So, development wise, with the NL showing no signs of starting, do you loan these players to a level or two down or keep them in the U23s?

The question for me would be what happens to the lads we've loaned to NL & NL N/S clubs? 

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Physicality 

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

The lads not long turned 17 it’s a comparison against amateur footballers to experienced pros

Another consideration is how much time he might spend watching the ball go over his head back and forth.  I know plenty of clubs knock it around these days, but not all do, and some teams will force you to abandon your playing through the lines.

The difference in pace / speed of the pro game versus non-league is vast.

Archived