Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

National League start and loanees


Recommended Posts

Just reading up on the fact that the NL season may not start as anticipated due to lack of spectators.

Thought struck me that 

a) What a good job Tinnion is doing in securing league loans for players such as Edwards/Webb. In the case of the latter, he was Yate last year so Newport massive step up. 
 

b) In the counterpoint, we have players who are undoubtedly ready for a loan at that kind of level - I’m thinking Vince Harper, and although it’d be a step back from FGR, Wollacott and Morton in view of how far away they are from the first team.

So, development wise, with the NL showing no signs of starting, do you loan these players to a level or two down or keep them in the U23s?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just reading up on the fact that the NL season may not start as anticipated due to lack of spectators.

Thought struck me that 

a) What a good job Tinnion is doing in securing league loans for players such as Edwards/Webb. In the case of the latter, he was Yate last year so Newport massive step up. 
 

b) In the counterpoint, we have players who are undoubtedly ready for a loan at that kind of level - I’m thinking Vince Harper, and although it’d be a step back from FGR, Wollacott and Morton in view of how far away they are from the first team.

So, development wise, with the NL showing no signs of starting, do you loan these players to a level or two down or keep them in the U23s?

Morton I'd loan to league 2.

Wollacott probably needed as third keeper for us.

I'm not sure which others are ready for league loans. Harper has so far been loaned to Gloucester, Weston and Bath. So 2 leagues away from league two is the highest he has played so far.

I think Benarous looked absolutely superb against Taunton and can't imagine he'd struggle at league 2 level. Just looks a class above to me.

I wouldn't really want to loan a player to any team unless they play a fair bit. Cundy to Exeter was a terrible loan and don't really want that kind of loan happening too often.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Morton I'd loan to league 2.

Wollacott probably needed as third keeper for us.

I'm not sure which others are ready for league loans. Harper has so far been loaned to Gloucester, Weston and Bath. So 2 leagues away from league two is the highest he has played so far.

I think Benarous looked absolutely superb against Taunton and can't imagine he'd struggle at league 2 level. Just looks a class above to me.

I wouldn't really want to loan a player to any team unless they play a fair bit. Cundy to Exeter was a terrible loan and don't really want that kind of loan happening too often.

 

Might have slightly misinterpreted what I meant - I don’t think it’s likely Harper was ready for L2 (although the same could be argued for Webb), it’s whether we loan him to Yate/Weston level or keep in U23 as that’s likely the highest level available - but he’s probably better than that.

Morton I’d like to loan to L2 but it’s unlikely we’d get that with no takers thus far.

JoJo understand keeping as no 3 but he won’t play barring a crisis.

Just conscious there could be some real stunting of development 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Might have slightly misinterpreted what I meant - I don’t think it’s likely Harper was ready for L2 (although the same could be argued for Webb), it’s whether we loan him to Yate/Weston level or keep in U23 as that’s likely the highest level available - but he’s probably better than that.

Morton I’d like to loan to L2 but it’s unlikely we’d get that with no takers thus far.

JoJo understand keeping as no 3 but he won’t play barring a crisis.

Just conscious there could be some real stunting of development 

Ahh ok. Probably loan some to lower non league and we can recall anyway from Vanarama South and below.

I thought the Taunton game looked quite competitive to be fair. And the Cardiff game looked good quality and they had to very work hard for the win.

I guess one thing they won't experience anywhere they go is a crowd of thousands in the stands. That seems to be a big part of a loan. So I guess keeping them here they're not losing out on that. 

I think if they are kept here then friendlies with sides like Taunton may be best for their development, and not just under 23s games.

Dealing with players that are older and physically stronger is something they won't get so much in under 23s games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Morton I'd loan to league 2.

Wollacott probably needed as third keeper for us.

I'm not sure which others are ready for league loans. Harper has so far been loaned to Gloucester, Weston and Bath. So 2 leagues away from league two is the highest he has played so far.

I think Benarous looked absolutely superb against Taunton and can't imagine he'd struggle at league 2 level. Just looks a class above to me.

I wouldn't really want to loan a player to any team unless they play a fair bit. Cundy to Exeter was a terrible loan and don't really want that kind of loan happening too often.

 

Physicality 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Thought he looked strong against Taunton. Looks like he has it all to me. 

Only one game of course but his balance and low centre of gravity. I think he looks special.

The lads not long turned 17 it’s a comparison against amateur footballers to experienced pros

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

The lads not long turned 17 it’s a comparison against amateur footballers to experienced pros

And I wouldn't say any of the others who played really well in that game would be ready for league two.

Obviously I could be wrong. But other very special 17 year olds have done really well at even higher levels than league two. He is a special talent so wouldn't surprise me if he did well in that league.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

And I wouldn't say any of the others who played really well in that game would be ready for league two.

Obviously I could be wrong. But other very special 17 year olds have done really well at even higher levels than league two. He is a special talent so wouldn't surprise me if he did well in that league.

Okay then the other obvious element, can't see us letting him live wherever he'd go on loan (presumably Newport/FGR/Exeter at furthest) due to his age/covid, if he hasn't passed a driving test yet then he'd need a driver put on for him by the club and really how integrated would he be with that club? Just appearing at training and matches, in reality not the best experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Okay then the other obvious element, can't see us letting him live wherever he'd go on loan (presumably Newport/FGR/Exeter at furthest) due to his age/covid, if he hasn't passed a driving test yet then he'd need a driver put on for him by the club and really how integrated would he be with that club? Just appearing at training and matches, in reality not the best experience.

Yeah maybe. Not thought about that bit of it

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just reading up on the fact that the NL season may not start as anticipated due to lack of spectators.

Thought struck me that 

a) What a good job Tinnion is doing in securing league loans for players such as Edwards/Webb. In the case of the latter, he was Yate last year so Newport massive step up. 
 

b) In the counterpoint, we have players who are undoubtedly ready for a loan at that kind of level - I’m thinking Vince Harper, and although it’d be a step back from FGR, Wollacott and Morton in view of how far away they are from the first team.

So, development wise, with the NL showing no signs of starting, do you loan these players to a level or two down or keep them in the U23s?

The question for me would be what happens to the lads we've loaned to NL & NL N/S clubs? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Physicality 

 

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

The lads not long turned 17 it’s a comparison against amateur footballers to experienced pros

Another consideration is how much time he might spend watching the ball go over his head back and forth.  I know plenty of clubs knock it around these days, but not all do, and some teams will force you to abandon your playing through the lines.

The difference in pace / speed of the pro game versus non-league is vast.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...