IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday - past game memories?

headhunter

Only one game came to my mind:

Dec. 8th 1990 - why? It snowed like hell for most of the game Final Score 1-1

Checking the record books it was a game that saw Martin Scott make his debut with later to be manager at BCFC, Danny Wilson [6] scoring for the Owls [*] and Peter Shirtliff [15] putting through his own goal for our equaliser.

Ron Atkinson was their manager and he took them to the play-offs but they failed to go up. We finished 9th under Jimmy Lumsden with 67 points which was 2 off 6th - sound familiar!!

[*] Watching Sky this week the lady reporter kept referring to tomorrow's visitors as Sheff !!! FFS, its the Owls or Wednesday - you would have thought someone would have told her after her first utterance!!!

Still, she wasn't as bad as Dan O'Hagan's pronounciations during his commentary on the Villa game - Adam NOIGE !!!

If you have read this, just a reminder to say next Forever Bristol City podcast will be live at 4 tomorrow

My most abiding memory of games v Wednesday is back in the early part of the 2007-08 season. It was the early game on Sky so meant a very early start driving up to Hillsborough, Brian Wilson put us 1-0 up very early in the game. Wednesday then battered us for the rest of the game, but Basso was imperious and we held on to get the win and go top of the league. 

I remember that snowy game too, Wednesday were always a hugely supported away side but due to the horrendous weather in the North, only their more locally based fans got here, making their support much smaller than usual. Remember our goal came from an og after a Dave Smith cross during an actual blizzard which lasted a lot of the second half.

10 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I recall going to a night game there in the early 90s, and they had to beat us to go up.

I think we lost 3 1, and the ground was full, must have been close to 40000 there.

That was the penultimate game of the season. I was there. You are right about the score, Allison scored for us

15 minutes ago, headhunter said:

That was the penultimate game of the season. I was there. You are right about the score, Allison scored for us

Didn`t Hirst get one and Trevor Francis two for them? The Chief`s was the goal of the game though. The coach we were on broke down on the M5 and we got there late, just pulling up outside Hillsborough as the roar for their first goal went up!

31 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

My most abiding memory of games v Wednesday is back in the early part of the 2007-08 season. It was the early game on Sky so meant a very early start driving up to Hillsborough, Brian Wilson put us 1-0 up very early in the game. Wednesday then battered us for the rest of the game, but Basso was imperious and we held on to get the win and go top of the league. 

came to mention that, just off a night shift and bailed going at the last minute.

Finally went to Hillsborough for the first time a couple of seasons back when we were still in the hunt at the end of the season and losing basically ended our hopes, Barry Bannan from miles out and then Max got lobbed

I remember the night game, 3-1 and they were promoted. Sure they asked up to leave as we were spoiling the atmosphere, noisey lot we must have been.
That was the game Trevor Francis played for them, Mark Aizlewood nearly cut him in half with a "challenge" on the half way line. ?
We stopped just down the road for a drink and watched the game again on TV, always thought it was strange there were Wednesday fans in there before us that close to the ground. 

Went by train for a 1-1 I think later on, I have absolutely no memory of anything of the day or game, apart from leaving the station and getting on a bus. Must have been a good day out ?

Only time I went to Hillsborough was on the last day of the season when we were in league 1, had already had missed out on the play offs but won 3-2 on the day and their keeper was sent off and ex-City Lee Peacock went in goal for them and we scored the following penalty. Believe they then went up through the play offs that season beating Hartlepool in the final.

Anyone remember a league cup 1st leg game against them early 80,s think we were in div 4 then, crowd of about 4000, some Shef Wednesday were in the grandstand and it kicked off with City in the corner of the enclosure. We lost the game and I think the 2nd leg was one of the only times that CATS didnt run a coach. 

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Only one game came to my mind:

Dec. 8th 1990 - why? It snowed like hell for most of the game Final Score 1-1

Checking the record books it was a game that saw Martin Scott make his debut with later to be manager at BCFC, Danny Wilson [6] scoring for the Owls [*] and Peter Shirtliff [15] putting through his own goal for our equaliser.

Ron Atkinson was their manager and he took them to the play-offs but they failed to go up. We finished 9th under Jimmy Lumsden with 67 points which was 2 off 6th - sound familiar!!

Even before opening this thread this game came to mind. I was stood on the Open End and I’ve never been so cold in my life...before or since.

My mates went home at half time and I decided to stick it out like some kind of endurance challenge. I was only about 12. Bollocks would I suffer those conditions now.

50 minutes ago, petehinton said:

17/18, beating them 4-0 with snow everywhere. Free hot drinks in the concourse. One hour walk to the bus each way, had a rip in my shoe so genuinely couldn’t feel my feet from the moment I left my road. Would do it all again tomorrow!

Enjoyed that game.

Remember seeing a very ‘European’ looking mob being marched by Cops down Duckmoor Road before the match, wondering who they were? only for the same mob to appear out of nowhere during the game in the Upper tier of the Lansdown near the Weds fans and taunting them and the guy with no shirt on in the Atyeo.

Willem II apparently ?

5EB785BF-AE21-4CE0-82B3-F2AE82A37855.jpeg

Archived