IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday - past game memories?

headhunter

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Adomah's late free kick 

Followed by carnage in out penalty area, Wednesday wanting a penalty (clearly a penalty from what I remember), arguing with the ref and pushing him, as they put the ball in the net.... only for the ref to give us a free kick.

All this made all the more hilarious as Baldock had scored two penalties for us during the game! Great day out!

Can remember being drunk enough to think we were going to stay up....

5 hours ago, headhunter said:

Only one game came to my mind:

Dec. 8th 1990 - why? It snowed like hell for most of the game Final Score 1-1

Checking the record books it was a game that saw Martin Scott make his debut with later to be manager at BCFC, Danny Wilson [6] scoring for the Owls [*] and Peter Shirtliff [15] putting through his own goal for our equaliser.

Ron Atkinson was their manager and he took them to the play-offs but they failed to go up. We finished 9th under Jimmy Lumsden with 67 points which was 2 off 6th - sound familiar!!

[*] Watching Sky this week the lady reporter kept referring to tomorrow's visitors as Sheff !!! FFS, its the Owls or Wednesday - you would have thought someone would have told her after her first utterance!!!

Still, she wasn't as bad as Dan O'Hagan's pronounciations during his commentary on the Villa game - Adam NOIGE !!!

If you have read this, just a reminder to say next Forever Bristol City podcast will be live at 4 tomorrow

I'll never that game as I broke my wrist the next playing rugby. Spent Xmas in a full arm cast so couldn't go any games until February

On 26/09/2020 at 11:39, headhunter said:

Only one game came to my mind:

Dec. 8th 1990 - why? It snowed like hell for most of the game Final Score 1-1

Checking the record books it was a game that saw Martin Scott make his debut with later to be manager at BCFC, Danny Wilson [6] scoring for the Owls [*] and Peter Shirtliff [15] putting through his own goal for our equaliser.

Ron Atkinson was their manager and he took them to the play-offs but they failed to go up. We finished 9th under Jimmy Lumsden with 67 points which was 2 off 6th - sound familiar!!

[*] Watching Sky this week the lady reporter kept referring to tomorrow's visitors as Sheff !!! FFS, its the Owls or Wednesday - you would have thought someone would have told her after her first utterance!!!

Still, she wasn't as bad as Dan O'Hagan's pronounciations during his commentary on the Villa game - Adam NOIGE !!!

If you have read this, just a reminder to say next Forever Bristol City podcast will be live at 4 tomorrow

Just over nine months ago I watched us lose 1-0 in the delivery room as my son was born later that evening. Today we watched Robins tv him with his water and me with the Moretti nice moment against the team when he was born !!

22 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yep, but Garland was the star, he was applauded off by Owls, and after JG's towering header for the trick tubby ref Roger Kirkpatrick applauded him back to the center spot.......he'd have been sacked now !

Wonderful Roger Kirkpatrick. I wonder if the video clip of him to the tune of Mud's Tiger Feet can still be found. 

On 26/09/2020 at 14:35, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Enjoyed that game.

Remember seeing a very ‘European’ looking mob being marched by Cops down Duckmoor Road before the match, wondering who they were? only for the same mob to appear out of nowhere during the game in the Upper tier of the Lansdown near the Weds fans and taunting them and the guy with no shirt on in the Atyeo.

Willem II apparently ?

5EB785BF-AE21-4CE0-82B3-F2AE82A37855.jpeg

Yes that were we...

On 26/09/2020 at 13:50, Bedred31 said:

What I remember of the game in the blizzard is the continuous traffic updates over the tannoy. By half time, literally all the roads going north were closed, news that was greeted with a huge cheer by the City fans. 

Some time during the second half, it was also announced that the last train back to Sheffield would be leaving at X time, but just before or immediately after the final whistle in any event, and if the Wednesday fans wanted to catch it they would have to leave immediately or spend the night in Bristol.

I remember the chant from the East End - 'One Bed & Breakfast, There's Only One Bed & Breakfast' - but, to their credit, most of the Wednesday fans stayed on until the final whistle. 

I never did find out what happenedd to them.

I remember season 80/81 back in the old Division 2 and the first season back from Division 1 if I’m correct. We won at home 1-0 against Wednesday when Howard Pritchard scored.

We were on a downward spiral 1980/81/82/83 and we didn’t win many games so its easy to remember the few we did. I also remember season 81/82 as I went to the away one at West Ham and we got hammered literally 5-0.

14 minutes ago, City oz said:

I remember season 80/81 back in the old Division 2 and the first season back from Division 1 if I’m correct. We won at home 1-0 against Wednesday when Howard Pritchard scored.

We were on a downward spiral 1980/81/82/83 and we didn’t win many games so its easy to remember the few we did. I also remember season 81/82 as I went to the away one at West Ham and we got hammered literally 5-0.

6-0 wasn`t it? The Cottee & McAvennie show and all sorts of stuff going off in the chicken run.

First game I ever had to go through a metal detector at the turnstile.

7 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

6-0 wasn`t it? The Cottee & McAvennie show and all sorts of stuff going off in the chicken run.

It was 5-0. I remember five us driving up in my mates brothers Ford Cortina and parking miles away from the ground and then catching the tube. The tube was full of hammers so we kept a low profile. 

Chiacken Run, apparently in the old days it was famous and was an old wooden stand with a tin roof. I remember us in the away section and I was in my late teams. 

Just looked it up in my CITY bible and Chelsea was also in Division 2 that season and more matches that season are coming to mind like Newcastle where we did very well.

20 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

We played them once, early 90s, and i think it was frank macs 2nd spell at west ham?

I think he may even have scored?

It was a early kick off on a saturday, i recall, and west ham brought thousands.

Yes it was a midday kick off if memory serves me 

48 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

We played them in about 85 in the milk cup i recall,

They had a excellent team too,

46 minutes ago, City oz said:

It was 5-0. I remember five us driving up in my mates brothers Ford Cortina and parking miles away from the ground and then catching the tube. The tube was full of hammers so we kept a low profile. 

Chiacken Run, apparently in the old days it was famous and was an old wooden stand with a tin roof. I remember us in the away section and I was in my late teams. 

Just looked it up in my CITY bible and Chelsea was also in Division 2 that season and more matches that season are coming to mind like Newcastle where we did very well.

It was that Milk Cup game I was thinking of I reckon.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

6-1   I thought

Drew first leg . 2-2 ? and a West Ham fan was stabbed , and they were looking for revenge 

It was an eventful night , and not a great one 

I remember that game in the blizzard in the early 90s, with I’m the chants from the EE baiting the Sheff Wed fans about being able to get home. I went with a mate from school who wasn’t really into football - I think it was his first experience of a football match and he loved the atmosphere. 

The only time I’ve been to Hillsborough was when City played them up there in an FA Cup game when Danny Wilson was their manager. I think we lost 1-0.

Archived