IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday (h) - 13:00 Sunday - What can we expect?

Davefevs

They're winning pretty much every second ball in the middle, and are so quick to pounce on any wayward pass or miscontrol. We're also being quite sloppy which isn't helping.

Just now, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Playing with 10 at the minute. Paterson is non existent. 

Bannon is glued to Paterson almost every time we have the ball which is seriously limiting us going forwards.

Another slightly disappointing half under Team Holden. 

Can't make it work playing short, can't make it work playing long.

Over-run in midfield. The Wednesday midfield 3 showing how it's done - tight out of possession and spring into action when in possession creating some decent chances.

Admittedly we've done better as the game's gone on in dealing with Wednesday - but as a half, offered nothing going forward.

Half-time re-jig needed, again!

First half summary.

Frustrating use of the ball, where I think we’ve created most our own problems.  When we have taken care of the ball we have broken the lines easily, but too often a sloppy pass has given up possession.

If we can raise our game, it’s there for us to win.

Wednesday shading the first half of threat.

Fair play to their midfield three. Very well drilled unit that are giving us no space at all, breaking the link between our midfield and front line, waiting for a mistake and then breaking quickly, creating the best chances in the half.

Would certainly give them the half on points. Goals that count however and hopefully second half some gaps start to appear.

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Another slightly disappointing half under Team Holden. 

Can't make it work playing short, can't make it work playing long.

Over-run in midfield. The Wednesday midfield 3 showing how it's done - tight out of possession and spring into action when in possession creating some decent chances.

Admittedly we've done better as the game's gone on in dealing with Wednesday - but as a half, offered nothing going forward.

Half-time re-jig needed, again!

Only had the last 15 minutes, but we certainly weren't overrun in that time.

Not sure how Bannan wasn't booked.

His foul on Pato was a fairly clear case of "taking one for the team" and then the lunge on Rowe on the touchline as well.

With Pato's booking he looked late to the tackle watching live, but in the replay he got his foot up same time as the defender and it was a 50/50 he had the right to go for.

Not a bad half even if a bit boring in parts.

Wednesday slightly the better team but cancelling each other out in the main, despite their midfield being amongst the best in the division.

Hopefully, we'll tighten up and get a press going second half - all got a bit sloppy towards the end of the half and the ref isn't helping, very fussy and I can see a red card or two from him.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

First half summary.

Frustrating use of the ball, where I think we’ve created most our own problems.  When we have taken care of the ball we have broken the lines easily, but too often a sloppy pass has given up possession.

If we can raise our game, it’s there for us to win.

Wednesday shading the first half of threat.

Agree and there are pockets of space to run into as Taylor Moore demonstrated with a storming run, that should have resulted in a goal. We don't have to force the passes, just play smarter. Wednesday are happy for us to play the ball into feet when they are pressing, and turnover for swift counter-attacks.

Just now, Robin101 said:

I’m not watching but BBC saying it’s even, perhaps Wednesday shading it, but an entertaining game there for both teams to win.

Slightly different story from OTIB. Hard to know who to believe.

Anyone describing that as entertaining probably enjoys updates from the Big Brother house.

1 minute ago, Robin101 said:

I’m not watching but BBC saying it’s even, perhaps Wednesday shading it, but an entertaining game there for both teams to win.

That's a more accurate summary, imo. 

Just now, Robin101 said:

Fair assessment by BBC, neither Pato nor Weimann doing enough. Wells been wasteful. Passing been sloppy across the team. 

4 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Can't understand why Brunt is on the bench and not Naggy

For me the issue is that we've got Jay Dasilva and Eliasson, both of whom are effectively covering for the same position and it feels like a waste of a spot a central midfielder could be occupying.

That said, Rowe is the player I'd currently look at subbing. I just don't think this is his day.

Edit: Wells, too. I'd like to see Semenyo. 

14 minutes ago, glastonred said:

Taylor Moore is playing really well....

MOTM so far. Moore is playing as well as Bakinson did against Stoke. Bakinson a bit more average today.

Mawson also a bit hit and miss today.

14 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Bannon deserves a booking this half

I'm sure this happened last time we played at Hillsborough. Referees let Bannon foul as much as he wants. 3 fouls today and one was a lunge.

Overall, sloppy and slapdash link up and attacking play. 

Wednesday will be gutted to be 0-0 because they've had 5 very dangerous counted attack chances and haven't had the killer instinct. 

Archived