IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday (h) - 13:00 Sunday - What can we expect?

Davefevs

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Can’t do half marks @mozo - against the Match Magazine rules!!! ?

FWIW are mine:

DB - 7

ZV - 7 / TM - 8 / AM - 6

JH - 8 / JP - 7 / TB - 6 / AW - 7 / TR - 7

NW - 7 / CM - 6

I probably mark on the harsh side.

Fair. Maybe Vyner the only one we didn't agree on there.

Just watched the highlights, two things struck me.....the number of times in the first half we set SW up via us giving the ball away, just before JP’s goal he (again) kicked the Mansion Bet banner (as he had done when taking the corner that led to TK’s winner against Coventry.) 

Couple of requests. Can we cut out giving the ball away so often and can Pato take that banner to away games.

On 27/09/2020 at 15:10, JackofromSanJavier said:

I had the same thing, eventually I shut the site down, cleared my Chrome history and reopened and logged in.  Dunno why it happened in the first place but I've astonished myself that I worked out a solution.  Hope you got there in the end, salut!

Saludos!  Yes thank you, I missed about ten minutes (including 1st goal) but saw most of the match.  I must say that while RTV is not perfect it is much better than last season and at least the football is now worth watching.  Bill

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Just watched the highlights, two things struck me.....the number of times in the first half we set SW up via us giving the ball away, just before JP’s goal he (again) kicked the Mansion Bet banner (as he had done when taking the corner that led to TK’s winner against Coventry.) 

Couple of requests. Can we cut out giving the ball away so often and can Pato take that banner to away games.

Yep, we created most of Wednesday’s better attacks in the 1st half...in fairness to them, they pressed us well too, so they deserve some credit.  But they couldn’t cope with us for large sections of the second half.  We rarely controlled games, let alone halves last season.

For me it’s the simplicity of - the more we have the ball the less danger the opposition are.  Albeit possession has to have purpose, which I think it does.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, we created most of Wednesday’s better attacks in the 1st half...in fairness to them, they pressed us well too, so they deserve some credit.  But they couldn’t cope with us for large sections of the second half.  We rarely controlled games, let alone halves last season.

For me it’s the simplicity of - the more we have the ball the less danger the opposition are.  Albeit possession has to have purpose, which I think it does.

Its also about compressing space on the pitch imo.

First half from front to back was too much distance giving Sheffield space in midfield (us too) making it a bit end to end. Second half, it looked to me that Holden moved defence a few metres up the pitch and compressed midfield and they were pegged back. Not the first time we've had far too much space between the front and the back three. 

18 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Its also about compressing space on the pitch imo.

First half from front to back was too much distance giving Sheffield space in midfield (us too) making it a bit end to end. Second half, it looked to me that Holden moved defence a few metres up the pitch and compressed midfield and they were pegged back. Not the first time we've had far too much space between the front and the back three. 

I actually thought we played quite a high line first half, but lost the ball in transition and it was that slightly gung-ho movement forward that created the big gaps, coupled with Martin not sticking the ball as well as he did second half.

Even Tyreeq was starting a bit further forward when Bents or the CBs had it....probably trying to create room for them, but it didn’t quite come off.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I actually thought we played quite a high line first half, but lost the ball in transition and it was that slightly gung-ho movement forward that created the big gaps, coupled with Martin not sticking the ball as well as he did second half.

Even Tyreeq was starting a bit further forward when Bents or the CBs had it....probably trying to create room for them, but it didn’t quite come off.

Seemed to me like Bakinson was the one player to be a bit more disciplined defensively in the second half, with the others more aggressive. 

4 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

What struck me was the announcer saying that the goal was scored by "number 20, Jamie Paterson!" Someone get that man an updated squad list.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I didn't think we played a high line in the first half tbh.

But we all see the game differently - especially from a restricted view on TV.

Whatever, it was sorted for the second half - not for the first time.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

What struck me was the announcer saying that the goal was scored by "number 20, Jamie Paterson!" Someone get that man an updated squad list.

At least it wasn't "from our new number 10 Jamie Paterson"

Which is a bit annoying..

7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I didn't think we played a high line in the first half tbh.

But we all see the game differently - especially from a restricted view on TV.

Whatever, it was sorted for the second half - not for the first time.

Yes, maybe it just appeared that way to me because we lost possession in between defence and midfield.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Yes, maybe it just appeared that way to me because we lost possession in between defence and midfield.

A poster on Owlstalk mentioned that we were playing 3-4 yards further up in the second half so he at least noticed it. He said it made all the difference and didn`t think Wednesday were able to adapt to it.

15 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Maybe.

Just seemed to me that there was too much space front to back in the first half.

2-0 so who cares :)

We all care if, and I repeat if, it means that we go behind by so doing it. Because then we are chasing the game instead of controlling it as we did. We allowed Wednesday too much room in the first half.

Many years ago, when I lived in Shrewsbury, I went to see Shrews play Arsenal in the League Cup. The Gunners back four were Dixon, Bould, Adams and Winterbottom.

They started the match holding a line about 10/15 yards outside their penalty area. So early on Shrewsbury had some activity up to the edge of the box. After 10 minutes, Adams moved them ten yards forward and a couple more times the same movement. By half time they were very close to the halfway line.

End of any attacks by Shrews. The second half was played entirely in the home teams half. It made me realize what a superb tactician Tony Adams was. It was he who made it easy for Arsenal to win because the Second Division side were stifled out of the game.

Too much empty space between the back four and midfield will mean there is room for opponents to have too much possession near our goal. Just the same as if we leave our front two too high from our midfield means they don't have any support to be a danger near goal.

It's early days but we are seeing a seed change in how we are trying to play. Very interesting.

50 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Maybe.

Just seemed to me that there was too much space front to back in the first half.

2-0 so who cares :)

You set me a challenge.

1st half - average position passes made

F9C02784-A626-4CAF-9A7D-00DE3DDF796D.thumb.jpeg.5daeac0bf63a8fbb21bb5277726ddcaa.jpeg

2nd half - average position passes made

648761F4-6642-45C1-A93C-572D6D6C67CB.thumb.jpeg.d2eebbf031faef9af9c2cc00dba4ccb0.jpeg

so Defensive line little change, but....

....this is based on where they passed from not where they defended from - so a futile exercise by me, other than building some functionality to do first half and second half pass maps! ?

What it really shows is how we got Wells, Martin and Pato on the ball in much higher positions, regardless of defensive line.  So it perhaps was a useful exercise for me after all.  ?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You set me a challenge.

1st half - average position passes made

F9C02784-A626-4CAF-9A7D-00DE3DDF796D.thumb.jpeg.5daeac0bf63a8fbb21bb5277726ddcaa.jpeg

2nd half - average position passes made

648761F4-6642-45C1-A93C-572D6D6C67CB.thumb.jpeg.d2eebbf031faef9af9c2cc00dba4ccb0.jpeg

so Defensive line little change, but....

....this is based on where they passed from not where they defended from - so a futile exercise by me, other than building some functionality to do first half and second half pass maps! ?

What it really shows is how we got Wells, Martin and Pato on the ball in much higher positions, regardless of defensive line.  So it perhaps was a useful exercise for me after all.  ?

Not having all the tech stuff to hand, I can only go on what I saw.

And I saw a compressed midfield in the second half further up the pitch keeping them penned back.

2-0 so I don't give a shit really :yes:

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Not having all the tech stuff to hand, I can only go on what I saw.

And I saw a compressed midfield in the second half further up the pitch keeping them penned back.

2-0 so I don't give a shit really :yes:

No, I was agreeing with you....the pictures (because they are based on where passes are made) don’t reflect lots of things that actually happen that we see.

4 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

What I'm liking is 2 clean sheets and only 1 conceded. We look strong defensively (apart from the Villa game) whereas we let in way too many last season. Early days but a good sign. 

Conceding less shots/chances always helps- we often conceded a LOT last season, even when the going was relatively good and the results notably so.

9 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

What I'm liking is 2 clean sheets and only 1 conceded. We look strong defensively (apart from the Villa game) whereas we let in way too many last season. Early days but a good sign. 

As improved as our defence is I still think that’s down to fixing our midfield issues, not so easy to walk through anymore! 

8 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Indeed, if you said Bakinson, Weimann and Paterson playing as a 3 in midfield was an improvement on this forum 6 months ago you would've been laughed at! 

Very few of us knew anything about TB back then. It was only once we saw him play that it became clear that he’s a very decent midfielder 

19 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Indeed, if you said Bakinson, Weimann and Paterson playing as a 3 in midfield was an improvement on this forum 6 months ago you would've been laughed at! Who would've thought. 

Yep, it’s why I don’t get too animated when I see the team announced.  You gotta see what happens on the pitch.

The last time I did was versus Newcastle (a) with Alby up top and Vyner at RB....and yet we drew 2-2, played really well for a good part of the game too.  I learned my lesson.

Archived