IGNORED

Wycombe - oh dear.

Lanterne Rouge

Gareth Ainsworth said pre match that he wants to asses the areas of the squad he needs to strengthen before the window closes. He’s very aware of the gulf in quality  between L1 and the Championship. He came over as an astute guy, very realistic about where they are in comparison to the rest of the Championship.

6 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

He openly admitted in an interview before season started they weren’t gonna spend money etc and it would be used to invest in training ground amongst other things

said last years players would get the chance this year, admirable but they will be down that’s for sure 

Free pass isn't it.

Probably hadn't expected promotion, no fans in the stadium giving them grief, increased television revenue and if that then allows them to come up, get relegated but have a greatly improved infrastructure the timing couldn't be better.

1 hour ago, Bernard Lerring said:

Cue them grinding out a 1-0 victory against us then!

No easy games (at this l - e - v - yaaaawwn - e - l ), although Wycombe appear to be as close as it gets to one (at this, er, "level").

Most Championship sides found Rotherham in 2016/17 relatively "easy," and that was at this "level," too. 

I'd pay to see Wycombe 2020 v Rotherham 16/17. Just to see who is/was worst.

Fair play to them for getting here. 

I don't think they, or anyone else would expect them to compete too fiercely. 

Arguably the smallest club (along with Yeovil & Burton) to compete at this level in modern times. 

They will be realistic about surviving and should just enjoy and learn from the experience. 

They will win a few games, but highly unlikely they'll ever pick up enough for safety at this level. 

Just now, Josh93 said:

Can you just imagine a back 3 of Vyner, Moore & Rowe come up against Akinfenwa! ?

Closest I`ve seen to him meeting his match was in a Sky game where he was playing v Colchester who had George Elokobi playing CB for them.

Big Bayo really met his match that night! It was hilarious seeing them go toe to toe - at one point Bayo climbed on George`s shoulders to win a header and he just shrugged him off like an annoying fly.

The great thing was that they were both loving it and spent the whole game grinning at one another and helping each other up.

18 hours ago, Pezo said:

So did they get in the playoffs through extrapolating results? 

“Extrapolating” wow mate I hade to look that up. “To an unknown situation by assuming that existing trends will continue or similar methods will be applicable” 

Pezo I wish I was sat next too you on my school exams. I will have to remember that world when next having a few tinnies with me mates. ?

10 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Usually I love an under dog story but they shouldn’t even be in the league.

fair play to them for taking their opportunity mind as it wasn’t their fault but I won’t be sorry to see them go back to where they belong.

They deserve a place in our division just for an away day at Wycombe..! 

34 minutes ago, City oz said:

“Extrapolating” wow mate I hade to look that up. “To an unknown situation by assuming that existing trends will continue or similar methods will be applicable” 

Pezo I wish I was sat next too you on my school exams. I will have to remember that world when next having a few tinnies with me mates?

How very prudent of you

11 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Usually I love an under dog story but they shouldn’t even be in the league.

fair play to them for taking their opportunity mind as it wasn’t their fault but I won’t be sorry to see them go back to where they belong.

Plus their style of football is utter dogshit, kick it long, foul, time waste, just pub football.

When the likes of Burton or Yeovil played Championship football at least they attempted to pass the ball on the floor.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Plus their style of football is utter dogshit, kick it long, foul, time waste, just pub football.

When the likes of Burton or Yeovil played Championship football at least they attempted to pass the ball on the floor.

There's not a right way or wrong was to play football though. 

Yes it's not as great to watch but they have absolutely made the most of the limited resources they have and should be applauded for doing so well.

Unfortunately for them a mixture of a few things such as a lack of pre-season to prepare for a brand new league and playing at home in front of a crowd etc means I think they could be on for one of the lowest points totals ever in the Championship.

Ainsworth has done an absolute fantastic job there though and I cannot believe he hasn't been given a chance at a bigger club yet

Archived