IGNORED

One difference for me.....

BCFC1512

9 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

At 1-0 up under LJ I’d be a nervous wreck and convinced we’d lose still or draw at best. But today and v Stoke was so calm to watch. At no point did I worry Wednesday would score, yes the 2nd goal earlier would of been nice but we look so much better at the back and calmer! 

Having Chris Martin out there who you know will hold the ball up and bring others into play, rather than seeing it trampoline back to the opposition really helps us to stay in control.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I wonder if it helps not having edgy fans in attendance. 
We do tend to have more than your average amount of fans who project fear and impatience and make players more tense. 

This is part of it for sure. If we aren’t winning by the 15th minute, the old faithful start getting restless and of course then it has an effect on the team. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

We do tend to have more than your average amount of fans who project fear and impatience and make players more tense. 

Simply because it is in our DNA that we are experts at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Except for one season in ten so is 2024/25 coming a bit early?

12 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

At 1-0 up under LJ I’d be a nervous wreck and convinced we’d lose still or draw at best. But today and v Stoke was so calm to watch. At no point did I worry Wednesday would score, yes the 2nd goal earlier would of been nice but we look so much better at the back and calmer! 

Loving the way DH is handling everything right now, but I can assure you that it's hardly like LJ told them to get nervous in the last few mins. 

As Harry says, I think the lack of crowd probably actually helps in this instance. 

14 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Very true. And one word sums up the difference under Holden: fearless. 

12 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

And a manager and two quality coaches laying into you at half time

Although in his interview in Fridays METRO with Matt Taylor,  Dean says he prefers the softly softly approach . To quote ‘ I think the ultimate goal of a boss is to understand each individual personally and to get the best out of them’ ‘If you address them in front of the group you can potentially lose them for a while with confidence issues’

2 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Although in his interview in Fridays Metro with Matt Taylor Dean says he prefers the softly softly approach . To quote ‘ I think the ultimate goal of a boss is to understand each individual personally and to get the best out of them’ ‘If you address them in front of the group you can potentially lose them for a while with confidence issues’

Yeh I think Dean may take the softly softly approach but I have a feeling the two coaches may be abit more vocal.

Whatever they did or said...it worked and that's all that matters.

37 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think it’s more to with the fact we haven’t got a coach in charge who used to focus more on the opposition then his own team 

2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I think it’s more to with the fact we haven’t got a coach in charge who used to focus more on the opposition then his own team 

Happens under lots of managers at lots of teams. 1-0 up. Late in the game. Fans naturally get nervous, and that nervousness gets manifested onto the pitch in edgy, anxious play. 

The differences appear to me to be a Head Coach and his two assistants singing from the same hymn sheet; and more importantly doing so with a clear view of how they wish to set the team up.

This must surely have a positive effect on the players.  The younger ones clear as to what is being asked of them, the older not sniping from the fringe as tactics fly all over the place.

This really does seem, so far at least, an upgrade on recent seasons.

Of course if you know what system you are playing it helps with recruitment.  No more square pegs in round holes.  Poor Elliason falls into this category unless he can change his game.  On the other hand Paterson, Rowe, Weimann have been helped.  Then if you are prepared to give gifted youngsters a proper go, like Moore, Bakinson and Vyner you will be rewarded.  But to do so successfully you need to seed the squad with experienced pros like Martin and Mawson.

It isn’t rocket science but we have lacked this since our promotion year.

Yes, there will be dips this season, but I have the feeling such periods will be dealt with rather than the Coach lose confidence in himself and the team, and slide into a catastrophic run of defeats.

This team has the makings of being the infrastructure on which a really great team could return us to the glory years within 2/3 seasons.  Already a homegrown centre forward, centre half, and, fantastically, a ball playing midfield general.  Not there yet, but so much nearer than any season since promotion with a clear pathway now firmly laid out.

COYR

49 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The differences appear to me to be a Head Coach and his two assistants singing from the same hymn sheet; and more importantly doing so with a clear view of how they wish to set the team up.

This must surely have a positive effect on the players.  The younger ones clear as to what is being asked of them, the older not sniping from the fringe as tactics fly all over the place.

This really does seem, so far at least, an upgrade on recent seasons.

Of course if you know what system you are playing it helps with recruitment.  No more square pegs in round holes.  Poor Elliason falls into this category unless he can change his game.  On the other hand Paterson, Rowe, Weimann have been helped.  Then if you are prepared to give gifted youngsters a proper go, like Moore, Bakinson and Vyner you will be rewarded.  But to do so successfully you need to seed the squad with experienced pros like Martin and Mawson.

It isn’t rocket science but we have lacked this since our promotion year.

Yes, there will be dips this season, but I have the feeling such periods will be dealt with rather than the Coach lose confidence in himself and the team, and slide into a catastrophic run of defeats.

This team has the makings of being the infrastructure on which a really great team could return us to the glory years within 2/3 seasons.  Already a homegrown centre forward, centre half, and, fantastically, a ball playing midfield general.  Not there yet, but so much nearer than any season since promotion with a clear pathway now firmly laid out.

COYR

I feel you can keep the momentum going this maybe your year especially with Derby & Forest off to a bad start and Cardiff & Stoke looking average 

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Loving the way DH is handling everything right now, but I can assure you that it's hardly like LJ told them to get nervous in the last few mins. 

As Harry says, I think the lack of crowd probably actually helps in this instance. 

We have had an issue with nervousness defending a lead for years. It was not just an LJ phenomena. 

A lack of crowd might help here, but when we needed a crowd against Villa it wasn’t there so swings and roundabouts however yes crowd absence probably helps with the nerves. 

However, clearly LJ didn’t tell them to get nervous, but he really didn't help as he would tinker way to much. 352 in possession and 532 out of possession is how we play now....If you know your role and its consistently enforced nerves will be less of an issue, as will sloppy mistakes (which many would say was nerves but was not)

2 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

Although in his interview in Fridays METRO with Matt Taylor,  Dean says he prefers the softly softly approach . To quote ‘ I think the ultimate goal of a boss is to understand each individual personally and to get the best out of them’ ‘If you address them in front of the group you can potentially lose them for a while with confidence issues’

I think he does , and it doesn`t do to call players out in public (one of LJ`s big faults IMO) but it can cut both ways - look at what he did with Tyreeq after Stoke, in front of the whole squad. 

That lad must have felt about ten feet tall afterwards and would run through a brick wall for DH now.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

And where did we get that from? history had shown us to expect the worse, who's fault, you tell me.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I’ve said that for a while, particularly at home. Imagine we’re near the top and some fans get allowed back in feb/March, should be a more positive atmosphere and could be a huge boost to our chances

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think he does , and it doesn`t do to call players out in public (one of LJ`s big faults IMO) but it can cut both ways - look at what he did with Tyreeq after Stoke, in front of the whole squad. 

That lad must have felt about ten feet tall afterwards and would run through a brick wall for DH now.

can you elaborate please

Archived