Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

One difference for me.....


Recommended Posts

I wonder if it helps not having edgy fans in attendance. 
We do tend to have more than your average amount of fans who project fear and impatience and make players more tense. 
 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 19
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

At 1-0 up under LJ I’d be a nervous wreck and convinced we’d lose still or draw at best. But today and v Stoke was so calm to watch. At no point did I worry Wednesday would score, yes the 2nd goal earlier would of been nice but we look so much better at the back and calmer! 

Having Chris Martin out there who you know will hold the ball up and bring others into play, rather than seeing it trampoline back to the opposition really helps us to stay in control.

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harry said:

I wonder if it helps not having edgy fans in attendance. 
We do tend to have more than your average amount of fans who project fear and impatience and make players more tense. 
 

This is part of it for sure. If we aren’t winning by the 15th minute, the old faithful start getting restless and of course then it has an effect on the team. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harry said:

I wonder if it helps not having edgy fans in attendance. 
We do tend to have more than your average amount of fans who project fear and impatience and make players more tense. 
 

Simply because it is in our DNA that we are experts at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Except for one season in ten so is 2024/25 coming a bit early?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

At 1-0 up under LJ I’d be a nervous wreck and convinced we’d lose still or draw at best. But today and v Stoke was so calm to watch. At no point did I worry Wednesday would score, yes the 2nd goal earlier would of been nice but we look so much better at the back and calmer! 

Loving the way DH is handling everything right now, but I can assure you that it's hardly like LJ told them to get nervous in the last few mins. 

As Harry says, I think the lack of crowd probably actually helps in this instance. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

At 1-0 up under LJ I’d be a nervous wreck and convinced we’d lose still or draw at best. But today and v Stoke was so calm to watch. At no point did I worry Wednesday would score, yes the 2nd goal earlier would of been nice but we look so much better at the back and calmer! 

Very true. And one word sums up the difference under Holden: fearless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

And a manager and two quality coaches laying into you at half time

Although in his interview in Fridays METRO with Matt Taylor,  Dean says he prefers the softly softly approach . To quote ‘ I think the ultimate goal of a boss is to understand each individual personally and to get the best out of them’ ‘If you address them in front of the group you can potentially lose them for a while with confidence issues’

Edited by E.G.Red
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Although in his interview in Fridays Metro with Matt Taylor Dean says he prefers the softly softly approach . To quote ‘ I think the ultimate goal of a boss is to understand each individual personally and to get the best out of them’ ‘If you address them in front of the group you can potentially lose them for a while with confidence issues’

Yeh I think Dean may take the softly softly approach but I have a feeling the two coaches may be abit more vocal.

Whatever they did or said...it worked and that's all that matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites

People say Weimann is not a midfielder, but his work rate and Pato's work rate is bloody hard for the opponents to deal with.

In Coventry and today, and okay we can say Northampton too, they can compete when they press early but they seem to eventually tire.

Like Coventry, but far better version of that game, our energy levels was a huge part in us dominating the second half.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Harry said:

I wonder if it helps not having edgy fans in attendance. 
We do tend to have more than your average amount of fans who project fear and impatience and make players more tense. 
 

I think it’s more to with the fact we haven’t got a coach in charge who used to focus more on the opposition then his own team 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I think it’s more to with the fact we haven’t got a coach in charge who used to focus more on the opposition then his own team 

 

Happens under lots of managers at lots of teams. 1-0 up. Late in the game. Fans naturally get nervous, and that nervousness gets manifested onto the pitch in edgy, anxious play. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We press relentlessly and have a team of players who are good on the ball so can still keep the ball when we need to.

What amazing subs to come on when leading too. Semenyo's physical strength for a 20 year old is scary. And we know how strong Fam is. Really helped in those final parts of the game as Martin and Wells were looking tired and they seemed to almost start to get some momentum before those subs were made.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The differences appear to me to be a Head Coach and his two assistants singing from the same hymn sheet; and more importantly doing so with a clear view of how they wish to set the team up.

This must surely have a positive effect on the players.  The younger ones clear as to what is being asked of them, the older not sniping from the fringe as tactics fly all over the place.

This really does seem, so far at least, an upgrade on recent seasons.

Of course if you know what system you are playing it helps with recruitment.  No more square pegs in round holes.  Poor Elliason falls into this category unless he can change his game.  On the other hand Paterson, Rowe, Weimann have been helped.  Then if you are prepared to give gifted youngsters a proper go, like Moore, Bakinson and Vyner you will be rewarded.  But to do so successfully you need to seed the squad with experienced pros like Martin and Mawson.

It isn’t rocket science but we have lacked this since our promotion year.

Yes, there will be dips this season, but I have the feeling such periods will be dealt with rather than the Coach lose confidence in himself and the team, and slide into a catastrophic run of defeats.

This team has the makings of being the infrastructure on which a really great team could return us to the glory years within 2/3 seasons.  Already a homegrown centre forward, centre half, and, fantastically, a ball playing midfield general.  Not there yet, but so much nearer than any season since promotion with a clear pathway now firmly laid out.

COYR

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The differences appear to me to be a Head Coach and his two assistants singing from the same hymn sheet; and more importantly doing so with a clear view of how they wish to set the team up.

This must surely have a positive effect on the players.  The younger ones clear as to what is being asked of them, the older not sniping from the fringe as tactics fly all over the place.

This really does seem, so far at least, an upgrade on recent seasons.

Of course if you know what system you are playing it helps with recruitment.  No more square pegs in round holes.  Poor Elliason falls into this category unless he can change his game.  On the other hand Paterson, Rowe, Weimann have been helped.  Then if you are prepared to give gifted youngsters a proper go, like Moore, Bakinson and Vyner you will be rewarded.  But to do so successfully you need to seed the squad with experienced pros like Martin and Mawson.

It isn’t rocket science but we have lacked this since our promotion year.

Yes, there will be dips this season, but I have the feeling such periods will be dealt with rather than the Coach lose confidence in himself and the team, and slide into a catastrophic run of defeats.

This team has the makings of being the infrastructure on which a really great team could return us to the glory years within 2/3 seasons.  Already a homegrown centre forward, centre half, and, fantastically, a ball playing midfield general.  Not there yet, but so much nearer than any season since promotion with a clear pathway now firmly laid out.

COYR

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I feel you can keep the momentum going this maybe your year especially with Derby & Forest off to a bad start and Cardiff & Stoke looking average 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Loving the way DH is handling everything right now, but I can assure you that it's hardly like LJ told them to get nervous in the last few mins. 

As Harry says, I think the lack of crowd probably actually helps in this instance. 

We have had an issue with nervousness defending a lead for years. It was not just an LJ phenomena. 

A lack of crowd might help here, but when we needed a crowd against Villa it wasn’t there so swings and roundabouts however yes crowd absence probably helps with the nerves. 

However, clearly LJ didn’t tell them to get nervous, but he really didn't help as he would tinker way to much. 352 in possession and 532 out of possession is how we play now....If you know your role and its consistently enforced nerves will be less of an issue, as will sloppy mistakes (which many would say was nerves but was not)

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

Although in his interview in Fridays METRO with Matt Taylor,  Dean says he prefers the softly softly approach . To quote ‘ I think the ultimate goal of a boss is to understand each individual personally and to get the best out of them’ ‘If you address them in front of the group you can potentially lose them for a while with confidence issues’

I think he does , and it doesn`t do to call players out in public (one of LJ`s big faults IMO) but it can cut both ways - look at what he did with Tyreeq after Stoke, in front of the whole squad. 

That lad must have felt about ten feet tall afterwards and would run through a brick wall for DH now.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harry said:

I wonder if it helps not having edgy fans in attendance. 
We do tend to have more than your average amount of fans who project fear and impatience and make players more tense. 
 

And where did we get that from? history had shown us to expect the worse, who's fault, you tell me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pillred said:

And where did we get that from? history had shown us to expect the worse, who's fault, you tell me.

Happens to all teams. You’re not alone and it’s no ones fault. Just the way it is. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harry said:

I wonder if it helps not having edgy fans in attendance. 
We do tend to have more than your average amount of fans who project fear and impatience and make players more tense. 
 

I’ve said that for a while, particularly at home. Imagine we’re near the top and some fans get allowed back in feb/March, should be a more positive atmosphere and could be a huge boost to our chances

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ciderwithtommy said:

We look fitter than our opponents in the final 30 minutes in the games I’ve seen, better in game management and youthful legs may well be helping, but it’s a great asset to have. 

Weimann might not be a midfielder (apparently!), but he has incredible stamina and so has Paterson.

Skinny legs and not very strong the pair of them, but that's why they can run for 90 minutes. That's what Holden seems to want in those box to box roles.

The physical presence of Bakinson behind them seems like a nice blend in that midfield.

Wells and Martin also put in one hell of a shift up top and it seems we will likely bring both off most games with Diedhiou and Semenyo coming on fresh off the bench.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think he does , and it doesn`t do to call players out in public (one of LJ`s big faults IMO) but it can cut both ways - look at what he did with Tyreeq after Stoke, in front of the whole squad. 

That lad must have felt about ten feet tall afterwards and would run through a brick wall for DH now.

can you elaborate please

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...