Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Had a very good last 2 league games. Particularly today.

I think Holden has improved him hugely in that role. The work rate around him I think allows him to get forward more.

One on one defending mainly been much better too.

There were parts of his game that frustrated me last season. Maybe it was LJ giving him terrible instructions and most probably the wrong set up for Rowe and pretty much all our players to play to their best.

Early days and not been up against the very best right sided players in these last 2 league games in terms of pace and trickery. But this is the player I have seen people describing as solid back up to Dasilva. And a bonus is he can score goals. Plus got an assist and should maybe have won us a pen! 

• Thanks 1

First half I thought he was poor and his first thought was always to pass back to Masson.

Second half he tried to pass forward and me more positive and he was excellent. There was a 5 minute spell when he won about 4 tackle and several headers to completely nullify Sheff Wed.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Holden has improved him hugely in that role. The work rate around him I think allows him to get forward more.

There were parts of his game that frustrated me last season. Maybe it was LJ giving him terrible instructions and most probably the wrong set up for Rowe and pretty much all our players to play to their best.

Early days and not been up against the very best right sided players in these last 2 league games in terms of pace and trickery. But this is the player I have seen people describing as solid back up to Dasilva. And a bonus is he can score goals. Plus got an assist and should maybe have won us a pen! 

Fair point, especially coming after some naïve defending standing in as Left CB against Villa for which he was rightly given some stick. Shows he is a proper pro.

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Are you ok with letting O'Dowda go now? This isn't me trying to do a na na na na I told you so, but I remember you favouring O'Dowda over Rowe before so would you feel comfortable (if Rowe maintained this level) letting Callum go?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well, I thought he was good at LB last season too. 
Ceratinly I felt that defensively he was better there last year than JD was. 
I’m happy with Rowe. 

Agree with this. One better defensively one better going forward. Chances to use both this season. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’m happy with Rowe. 

Very much the same. Very rarely lets us down in that position. Another solid game ( improved second half like the rest of them)

8 minutes ago, grifty said:

First half I thought he was poor and his first thought was always to pass back to Masson.

Second half he tried to pass forward and me more positive and he was excellent. There was a 5 minute spell when he won about 4 tackle and several headers to completely nullify Sheff Wed.

Yeah he wasn't very good first half. Sort of like under LJ last season.

But 2nd half when Pato, Weimann and the front 2 were far far better it helped Rowe and Hunt push on more.

I would say in the first half that maybe Sessegnon (who I think is going to be quality for us) and Dasilva would have helped in pushing them back more. But second half as Wednesday tired the midfield and forwards did that and it helped out wing backs.

His lack of pace worries me at times but he's a good all round footballer.

Offers a goal threat as well which is something Dasilva doesn't.

JD would still be my first choice but Rowe is sound.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

How many goals and assists does Dasilva have? 

Rowe is better going forward imo

Exactly!!

Most people agree Rowe is better defensively than Dasilva but I don't believe Dasilva is better going forward.  His crossing is woeful and he never provides a goal threat.

Also, and this can't be emphasised with our young team, if you ask Rowe to run through a brick wall, he will say "What do I do on the other side?".

Ask Dasilva, and he will say "Ooooh, I've forgotten my daps".  😛

For me an astute signing who has hit a good vein of form. He seems limited at this level but contributed well in general in that lwb role. Dasilva is ahead of him for me, but he seems to start seasons fairly well! I remember that goal early last season against Birmingham which was very well taken!

6 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

How many goals and assists does Dasilva have? 

Rowe is better going forward imo

I think Rowe is better defensively, mainly in his positional discipline. 
I think Dasilva carries the ball forward better, but as you rightly say, Rowe actually is more of a goal threat. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, grifty said:

I thought the same. The goal was excellent as he followed in, in his wing back role, rather than hanging back, as he might of done as a full back. 

5 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Are you ok with letting O'Dowda go now? This isn't me trying to do a na na na na I told you so, but I remember you favouring O'Dowda over Rowe before so would you feel comfortable (if Rowe maintained this level) letting Callum go?

If Rowe maintains that level then yes of course. But Rowe I thought played poorly against Coventry and had to play safe first half due to his inability to drive forwards. Hunt was disappointing the other side.

Second half Rowe had everything going on perfectly around him to get the best out of him. We pushed them back.

Holden said he likes O'Dowda in that wing back role, and there will be very different tests than these last 2 league games for Rowe.

But I am not getting into a debate about O'Dowda and Rowe. Lets see what O'Dowda offers in that role if he plays there and we will see.

Dasilva is obviously going to be first choice. We are only talking about back up wing back. Both back ups give very different attributes.

23 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’m happy with Rowe. 

100%.

Not knocking Holden, but I don’t think he has “improved him” at all.

Always been an honest, committed player who gives his best wherever he is asked to play.

Superb signing, top professional.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think Rowe is better defensively, mainly in his positional discipline. 
I think Dasilva carries the ball forward better, but as you rightly say, Rowe actually is more of a goal threat. 

I think Dasilva's defensive qualities are very underrated.

QPR away last season, up against arguably the best right winger in the league (or certainly up there) in Osayi Samuel.

Dasilva absolutely had him in his back pocket. He made it look easy. 

The home game where Rowe was on him, we saw what happened. But not taking anything away from Rowe now of course!

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

100%.

Always been an honest, committed player who gives his best wherever he is asked to play.

Absolutely Graham

anyone who’s just listened to his interview on RB just now ....... wow

Absolutely screams Intelligent , amiable , humble  top top professional 

Appears to be , as good as a ‘ pro ‘ we’ve signed in my half century 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

100%.

Yeah probably hasn't improved him as far as making him better as a player, just that we are playing better as a team which obviously makes all the difference.

Last 2 league performances better than all his other games at wing back under LJ, so I credit Holden with that.

19 minutes ago, CiderHeadDan said:

For me an astute signing who has hit a good vein of form. He seems limited at this level but contributed well in general in that lwb role. Dasilva is ahead of him for me, but he seems to start seasons fairly well! I remember that goal early last season against Birmingham which was very well taken!

Every team needs this type of player, the unsung hero who busts a gut for the team. 

He knows that there are more talented individuals trying to take his place but he won’t give in easily.

Well done Tommy .

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Every successful squad needs a Tommy Rowe. Fantastic pro who works tirelessly for the team.

He is a decent footballer too, not just a work horse.

Said when we signed him, the sort we have signed too few of in the past.

Experienced, versatile, great availability record, decent goal ratio.

Probably on a third of the wages of some of his team mates but of greater value than a fair few...

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

.....and Tommy was the first player most on here were happy to drop after the Exeter game......hold you heads in shame. Tommy is the Championships Gareth Barry. Undroppable.

I was critical in the Villa game of him being played as a centre back. Not only that, compounded by having a wholly non-defensive minded wing back in Eliasson next to him. It made the left side incredibly weak. 
Rowe at LCB. No thanks. 
Rowe at LB or LWB - yep, happy. 

• Flames 1
18 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

.....and Tommy was the first player most on here were happy to drop after the Exeter game......hold you heads in shame. Tommy is the Championships Gareth Barry. Undroppable.

Wasn't he actually really good against Exeter at centre back? I assume anyone saying Mawson should come in was just because Mawson is probably one of the best centre backs in this league, not because Rowe had a bad game.