IGNORED

Game management.....

TomThumb84

Well, after pacing around at half-time convinced we would lose 1-0 to a Barry Bannan goal, I thought that second half was wonderful.

My opinion is that we do not seem to have that soft underbelly we have seen so often in the last few years. We seem a lot more streetwise. The additions of Martin, Mawson (on the pitch) Brunt (more off the pitch I suspect right now), and Simpson and Downing owe a lot to this. Even more impressive is the response after getting a bit of a lesson v Villa. Shows a real clarity and focus around our direction.

We seem to be able to see out games comfortably at the moment when before, had 6 minutes of added time gone up at 1-0 up I think we would all have feared the seemingly inevitable.

Of course a heap of credit goes to Holden, I will be the first to admit that based on the boards communication around a replacement for Johnson, I was bemused at his appointment, however he has quickly won me over and a lot of that is down to how he is building a squad that looks like it can mix it whoever the league opposition. Big test in the next two games but no reason why we shouldn’t go into them believing we can win them both.

Good times right now. 

1 hour ago, TomThumb84 said:

Well, after pacing around at half-time convinced we would lose 1-0 to a Barry Bannan goal, I thought that second half was wonderful.

My opinion is that we do not seem to have that soft underbelly we have seen so often in the last few years. We seem a lot more streetwise. The additions of Martin, Mawson (on the pitch) Brunt (more off the pitch I suspect right now), and Simpson and Downing owe a lot to this. Even more impressive is the response after getting a bit of a lesson v Villa. Shows a real clarity and focus around our direction.

We seem to be able to see out games comfortably at the moment when before, had 6 minutes of added time gone up at 1-0 up I think we would all have feared the seemingly inevitable.

Of course a heap of credit goes to Holden, I will be the first to admit that based on the boards communication around a replacement for Johnson, I was bemused at his appointment, however he has quickly won me over and a lot of that is down to how he is building a squad that looks like it can mix it whoever the league opposition. Big test in the next two games but no reason why we shouldn’t go into them believing we can win them both.

Good times right now. 

⬆️

The highlighted bit is something I touched upon earlier in another thread.

Mawson said on Radio Bristol earlier today that, from the outside, Bristol City have always been seen as a bit of a soft touch and he also said that the Stoke players/staff had alluded to it pre-game up there. He was saying that is no longer the case.

After today and the Stoke game, I'm hopeful that we've finally shrugged off that perception.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

⬆️

Mawson said on Radio Bristol earlier today that, from the outside, Bristol City have always been seen as a bit of a soft touch and he also said that the Stoke players/staff had alluded to it pre-game up there. He was saying that is no longer the case.

After today and the Stoke game, I'm hopeful that we've finally shrugged off that perception.

I am delighted that Holden has injected some steel into the squad long may our deserved results continue.

Most impressively DH has recognised and rectified the things that were holding the team back.

:clap:

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I am delighted that Holden has injected some steel into the squad long may our deserved results continue.

Most impressively DH has recognised and rectified the things that were holding the team back.

Certainly seems that way 

23 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

⬆️

Ah , so LJ was right. We did have an identity.

And I just love the silence of all those hundreds of forum warriors who wanted Hughton, big money coaches, men with big names (done this, done that) couldn't wait to have a go at the old regime (Lj/DH) slam MA for not telling us (the world) who he was appointing and even SL for looking solely at the cheap option. 

Like many on the OTiB forum I find it is just so much nicer to be on and to read without those people who just want to moan about the City. At least now we are scoring, looking solid, not conceding in the league and always have an exciting bench - and this is all down to Lj, DH, MA and SL. Thanks to all of them and the new coaches & players. 

CoYRs 

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

And I just love the silence of all those hundreds of forum warriors who wanted Hughton, big money coaches, men with big names (done this, done that) couldn't wait to have a go at the old regime (Lj/DH) slam MA for not telling us (the world) who he was appointing and even SL for looking solely at the cheap option. 

Like many on the OTiB forum I find it is just so much nicer to be on and to read without those people who just want to moan about the City. At least now we are scoring, looking solid, not conceding in the league and always have an exciting bench - and this is all down to Lj, DH, MA and SL. Thanks to all of them and the new coaches & players. 

CoYRs 

I wanted Hughton over Holden, why’s that a bad thing?

Once Holden was appointed and I got over the underwhelming feeling that Steve and Mark had helped create with their rhetoric, I wanted nothing more then City (with manager number x in charge) to be successful.

based on observable, rational evidence, why wouldn’t you pick Hughton over Holden?

Its hardly madness.

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

CoYRs 

I think 99% of the people on here want City to do well. Some of us were sceptical about the appointment of Holden but decided to support him and are delighted to see him doing well so far. Credit to Dean, Ashton and SL for that. How you can give credit to LJ for the way we are playing right now though frankly beggars belief.

I'm hoping that our 'soft underbelly' reputation actually sticks with opponents - if they are expecting the routine City collapse in every game then they may be surprised and ultimately knocked out of their pre-match plan.  

We could be the equivalent of a blind date with .....................(insert name of any random notorious Gloucester housewife here).

I agree with OP when the 6 minutes went up I thought "oh god here we go they're going to equalise". 

A lot of teams also seem to be picking up on the fact we're using the dark arts as well something that we used to never do. 

It feels like we're a much streetsmarter team then we have been and the fact we can see a game through we aren't the Bristol City of the last few seasons who would sit back and take off our strikers for defenders or midfielders after 70 mins. 

There was a period under GJ when we went a goal up I was never really worried, and felt mildly insulted if the opposition had the temerity to equalise. Equally long periods under LJ never felt comfortable when ahead.

Early doors of course, but feeling much more GJ than LJ at the moment.

I like the thought of us mastering the dark arts and s**thousery element of the game because on top of the hard work and good technical play you can’t let teams think you are a soft touch 

a lot of this I think is down to the assistant coaches and the addition of experienced Championship players who are passing on a bit of know how 

2 hours ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

I agree with OP when the 6 minutes went up I thought "oh god here we go they're going to equalise". 

A lot of teams also seem to be picking up on the fact we're using the dark arts as well something that we used to never do. 

It feels like we're a much streetsmarter team then we have been and the fact we can see a game through we aren't the Bristol City of the last few seasons who would sit back and take off our strikers for defenders or midfielders after 70 mins. 

Agree with this, when Sheff Wed started to get into the second half a bit we took Martin off and bought Semenyo on, fresh quick legs to change the dynamic. Then bought Diedhou on later, helps out defensively but also puts a shift in up front. 

Too many times have I seen a City manager bring on a Defender or Defensive Mid, all of a sudden inviting pressure. 1-0 up, have faith in the defence that has kept them quiet and keep it fresh up front to nick the killer goal as we did. 

5 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

CoYRs 

You think that the way we are playing with a consistent tactical approach and team selection and a far tougher/streetwise edge has something to do with Johnson. I think you are misguided. It is because he has gone and we have a new coach that these things are happening. And long may it continue. I was not keen on DH or the process but seem to have been proved wrong and it is great . But please don't attribute these  changes to a bloke that prevented them happening.

10 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

CoYRs 

Don't worry,,,still here & still pissed off with SL & his bullshit...

Three games in & your creaming yourself...a word of reality - very early days,,,this is City so don't get carried away-its like you've never watched us before.

And as for Lee..?

12 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

I'll be honest and eat plenty of humble pie. I wasnt sure about DH but listening to him and the passion he has plus the way he has us playing I am glad I was wrong.

Whilst it’s a good start and I’m delighted Holden is doing well so far, we’re 3 games in to the league so I wouldn’t start saying you were wrong yet. Hopefully this positive start will be reflected over the season but let’s wait and see. 

18 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Perhaps another reason for his appointment and the "he knows the squad" comment that seemed a bit of a silly and obvious thing considering how long he'd been here.

I think given the short pre season it meant someone new didnt have to come in and learn the team, he was obviously very clear in his interview what he thought needed to be fixed and how he could do that.

Archived