IGNORED

Handball Rule

Super

One of the problems as I see it, is that fans were always up in arms ( excuse the pun) when they wanted penalties for every time the ball hit the arm in the penalty area. Then a couple of seasons ago VAR decided to start giving them for just that. So, the law was changed, now we have the comical situation where any touch of the ball IN the box is now deemed as a penalty, but outside the box the law is the same as it always has been, ie, it has to be deliberate. 

When you watch games now, players appeal for a free kick every time the ball hits an arm, referees are getting shit for not giving them, because most players don’t understand that there are two handball laws, one inside the box, and one anywhere else on the pitch, it’s crazy. 

A lot of us saw this coming 18 months ago, and I voiced my opinion on this forum, stating it was ridiculous and will ruin the game ( the same as var has imo). I said at the time that clever players will now start aiming for the arm, rather than a hopeful shot at goal, others said that won’t happen, but it will, and it is. 

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Handball is such an easy thing to define aswell. "Deliberate or unnatural positioning of the arm making contact with the ball" . 

There you go FA. You can have that consultation fee free..! Now sort the bloody game out..! 

You could argue Diers hand was in an unnatural position though? 

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

You could argue Diers hand was in an unnatural position though? 

Yes, you could.  But there was no intention to make himself bigger to gain an unfair advantage. 

It literally flicked his arm from inches away and he couldn't even see where the ball was. 

However, IF the rule was stated as above, then at least the outcome would be clearly explainable, rather than the utter shambles that currently exists. 

The worse thing for me, is the inconsistency. 

It should be used throughout football (professional) or not at all. 

If we had needed a last minute penalty to get something today, there's no way we would have got that, because VAR isn't even used..! 

It's a joke..! 

On top of all that, the basis on introducing VAR was supposed to be "clear and obvious error" unless that purpose has officially changed, its a ******* joke..! 

To the point where I don't really even want to be promoted to that division..!

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Handball is such an easy thing to define aswell. "Deliberate or unnatural positioning of the arm making contact with the ball" . 

There you go FA. You can have that consultation fee free..! Now sort the bloody game out..! 

Not that easy it seems as handball should literally be that ball to hand and the arm should be taken out of it and leave the decision to the referee and only use VAR for goal line & off the ball incidents 

The days where refs used to decide if something was deliberate seem like a long lost utopia now....

Why would any defender, knowing full well the current laws, DELIBERATELY have their arms away from their body?

What is ‘natural’ about trying to defend with arms like they’ve been stapled to your side?

I can’t stand dumb conspiracy theories   But I’m struggling to reach any other conclusion than the authorities want more goals (and possibly more controversy) and so have created this situation to get more penalties.

5 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

A good point made by Micah Richards this weekend is whether the referee views the playback in real time or in slow motion. Incidents can get exaggerated in slow motion. 

They are watching them in slow motion just to see if the ball touches any part of the hand/arm, this is all they need to know because of the way the law is being interrupted. 

We all know it’s farcical, but that’s down to the law makers, not the referee. 

Beyond a joke. To be honest I’m so uninterested in the prem because of all this I dont watch anywhere near as many games on tv as I used to. As others have mentioned it’s just not football now. 

I understand the game has to look to evolve or be enhanced where possible but I was never for VAR in the first place. The media and so many journalists and pundits pushed and pushed for this as well, so it’s a little ironic that many are now so critical of it. It’s completely ruined it for me.

These handball decisions have all been absolutely terrible.

I don't know how anybody changing these guidelines could possibly think this is what fans want.

The root problem here is that the laws say "deliberate" precisely so that players are only penalised for cheating not for getting hit by accident, if the authorities want to take the subjective component out of it just cross that word out and have call it an infringement whenever a hand or arm touches the ball.

This half arsed middle ground where they make up utter nonsense guidelines that fly in the face of it is no use to anybody.

The only sensible rule is the old one - handball has to be deliberate and the ref uses his common sense to judge intent. No defender commits deliberate handball in the area unless preventing a virtually certain goal. Making rules about where your arms are - that’s a nonsense.

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

These handball decisions have all been absolutely terrible.

I don't know how anybody changing these guidelines could possibly think this is what fans want.

The root problem here is that the laws say "deliberate" precisely so that players are only penalised for cheating not for getting hit by accident, if the authorities want to take the subjective component out of it just cross that word out and have call it an infringement whenever a hand or arm touches the ball.

This half arsed middle ground where they make up utter nonsense guidelines that fly in the face of it is no use to anybody.

The law still is “deliberate” all over the pitch, but not in the penalty area, bizarrely. 

1 hour ago, just like watching brazil said:

He does a cartwheel with his hand it’s not a natural position for me it’s a pen.

I think your post is bollocks he was jumping not looking at the ball when it was headed, just go out into the garden a try jumping without using your arms

Steve Bruce hit the nail on the head - “we’ve lost the plot” 

On MOTD 2 they’ve confirmed that FIFA want standardised handball rules across all leagues, including the one that meant Dier was penalised today. Those rules applied lasts season in La Liga and Serie A  where 47 and 53 penalties were awarded, whereas in the premier league, where FIFA handball rules did not apply, there were only 19!

Just been spoken about on motd2. Apparently the law has been changed by fifa so that it is the same across all leagues.

Spain and Italy had it last year. Compared to the prem they had nearly double the amount of penalties awarded across the season.... 

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Steve Bruce hit the nail on the head - “we’ve lost the plot” 

On MOTD 2 they’ve confirmed that FIFA want standardised handball rules across all leagues, including the one that meant Dier was penalised today. Those rules applied lasts season in La Liga and Serie A  where 47 and 53 penalties were awarded, whereas in the premier league, where FIFA handball rules did not apply, there were only 19!

or you know.... what he said!?

I really hope this isn't just a rule that this country accepts just because it makes it easier for VAR. How the heck can defenders move their arm/hands when blocking or it just hits them?

I hope the powers that be teams up together  to get this thrown out, as it will ruin so many more games and shouldn't be a law we just let become the normal.

Archived