IGNORED

Who can we not afford to lose?

The Journalist

Twelve months on from Benik Afobe’s season-ending - and arguably season-wrecking - injury, which player can we now not afford to lose? Who is making the biggest difference to the way we’re playing?

Alfie Mawson and Tyreeq Bakinson have obviously been superb, but the one for me is Chris Martin.

His link play is absolutely different class at this level. His touch, his awareness, the way he uses his body. He’s going to be SO important to us this season.

Please stay fit, Chris, for heaven’s sake.

We are far from being a one man show .
We don’t have a ‘ stand out ‘ superstar player, like a Rooney at Derby.

We are a team and , as important as Chris Martin is to our team, he is just a very important part of the Red machine.

People could have said we can’t afford to lose record signing and Czech international, Kalas but we have and the rest is history.

Perhaps the person who we can’t afford to lose is the guy Holden it all together.

If our Korey Smith replacement, Williams gets injured, we are done for....... Ah OK,.....

If Dasilva gets injured, we are screwed...... Oh OK,... 

If Kalas gets injured, we are screwed..... Oh, hang on..... 

Maybe we've actually got a squad that is strong enough to cope and is only going to get better as players return - with adequate replacements fo every position. ?

29 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Whatever happens I think we will be okay.

Our current starting midfield 3 aren't going anywhere.

Williams can fill in box to box or holding.

Brunt is back up for Bakinson and is hopefully getting fitter all the time after not having a preseason.

Ideally we want one or two more to stay out of all the other options.

We are blessed in midfield and up top

We've got the squad to rotate and play horses for courses 

Back line, my only concern. We're a red card away from being woefully short 

Pato is an interesting one. Divided opinion for much of his time here, looked surplus to requirements this time last year and many thought he was done for us. However, and again credit must go to Holden and the coaching team, they have trusted him, given him the 10 shirt and made it pretty clear he is the main creator in the side and its paying dividends.

I noticed today how vocal he was, and looked like he was orchestrating and scheming a lot of what we did. I think we need him very much at the moment. Offers something lots of others do not have, he is clearly well liked and it a very good footballer when playing with belief and confidence.

I’d say Paterson. Not sure we have a like for like replacement in terms of creativity. He can score all on his own. He can go by 2-3 players on his own and pick a pass or put one in the top corner. That on top of all the hard work he has been putting in at that position. Not sure Palmer or Walsh could replicate that exactly. Whereas I can see others filling in pretty much everywhere else to a good standard. 

15 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

All about opinions.

Of course it is but O'Leary did okay when thrown in at the deep end 18 months ago and excelled at Shrewsbury and other young players who have come into the team have performed about expectations. Bentley is a quality keeper and outstanding when on form but I'd not be that panicked if O'Leary stepped in for him and, if Bentley's standards slip again mid-season, I can easily see him getting a run in the team. 

21 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

We are far from being a one man show .
We don’t have a ‘ stand out ‘ superstar player, like a Rooney at Derby.

We are a team and , as important as Chris Martin is to our team, he is just a very important part of the Red machine.

People could have said we can’t afford to lose record signing and Czech international, Kalas but we have and the rest is history.

Perhaps the person who we can’t afford to lose is the guy Holden it all together.

Was thinking this just yesterday, everyone is contributing.

Martin makes a big difference but everyone is chipping in- no dominant contributions though, no overwhelming dependence or reliance on one player.

Archived