IGNORED

The Midfield ! What a problem for DH

DT The Optimist

I guess we see a really exciting, skilful and creative young player Tone, and we'd like him to be given the opportunity to prove himself Championship worthy at AG rather than undoubtedly - imo. - doing it elsewhere.

If you don't understand the 'love in' perhaps this example of what he's capable of from last season will help:

Based on what has happened so far it seems likely to me that up to 3 will go, if you include Eliasson in that.

Nagy & Palmer seem to be the most likely candidates unless Walsh signing a new contract doesn’t materialise or Morrell decides that being behind Williams & Bakinson in the pecking order for the holding midfielder role won’t do his chances of playing for Wales much good.

3 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

If HNM gets loaned then the Bundesliga or French Ligue at their second level would be a better fit with his technical ability. Nagy is capable of a goal or two as a squad player and can improve, but I'm guessing Callum O'Dowda will be surplus to requirements.

I don't see Massengo going abroad. His dad and sister both moved with him to Bristol didn't they? He'll want stick with la famille proche, non?

My guesses as follows:

Massengo - local loan

Nagy - Italy loan

Palmer - Championship loan

Morrell - sold

Bakinson - 1st team

Williams - 1st team

Paterson - 1st team

Weimann - 1st team

Walsh - 1st team

Brunt- 1st team

28 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I guess we see a really exciting, skilful and creative young player Tone, and we'd like him to be given the opportunity to prove himself Championship worthy at AG rather than undoubtedly - imo. - doing it elsewhere.

If you don't understand the 'love in' perhaps this example of what he's capable of from last season will help:

No doubting his talent Rudolph but his deal remains unsigned.

If he wants to be part of the Holden BCFC, sign the deal or bugger off!

15 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair enough Ska, but do your 'bugger off' wishes extend to Hunt, Rowe, Baker, Moore & Paterson?  As well as Fammy & Niclas?

None of them signed up beyond this season either.

The only reason we know more about about Walsh is the interviewer on RB specifically asked about him but there are plenty of others in the same boat.

Btw, Really no need to call me Rudolph!!

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Fair enough Ska, but do your 'bugger off' wishes extend to Hunt, Rowe, Baker, Moore & Paterson?  As well as Fammy & Niclas?

None of them signed up beyond this season either.

The only reason we know more about about Walsh is the interviewer on RB specifically asked about him but there are plenty of others in the same boat.

Btw, Really no need to call me Rudolph!!

Sorry Noggers.

The difference is Walsh has never really played at this level while the rest are proven at this level in the most part.

I'm not saying Walsh is holding us to ransom as I don't know but we know TM and the rest  can play up here, we don't know Liam can. Obviously, I hope he rips it up with us but we can't keep everyone and he may well be one that's sacrificed.

Selfish it may be but I would rather utilise players that want to be here. Sign his deal and the riches will come otherwise take your chances elsewhere young man. The same goes for Fam and Elliason tbh.

58 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

You are Mark Ashton and I claim my £10.

Think you need Nagy's legs if Weimann ever gets injured or needs a rest. They have the ability to play similar roles is Adam is encouraged to play higher and press more. He's the only player we have that can match Andi's work rate.

He's also more useful of the two when we need to break teams down - more creative and better overall ball retention.

Walsh can replace Pato if the latter slumps, Williams and or Morrell for Bakinson if needed. Two per position and the new year period through Feb will be busier due to the delayed season - we'll need the depth.

I think Palmer leaving on permanent and Han out on loan look likely, Imo.

Think Morrell could be sold being honest. We'd make better profit margin selling him on than Adam, which could be a factor with Covid/Finances.

Palmer and O'Dowda sold on. 

This won't go down well, but I'd have Pato sold whilst in reasonable form - and has value.

Walsh, Massengo, Morrell are younger and have much more upside.

This is peak Pato and I'd offload.

Too patchy.

If the 'philosophy' of recent years continues then Bakinson is the next big Sell On, and there surely is more potential improvement (and therefore more ££) in Walsh (23 yrs old), Massengo (19) and Morrell (23) than a 29 yr old Jamie P.

Nagy (25) will improve, he's just got something that is worth giving the rest of the year to find. Not convinced he is 100% confident in his body after the long injury issue. The more confident, the better he will play.

So Palmer O'Dowda and Pato sold.

I'd guess if DH can't satisfy Nic's need to play, then he would be considering his future here as well.

That's 3, possibly 4.

That's enough.

10 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'm in total agreement Jon. I just thought it strange that LW's contract was imminent a few weeks ago yet we've heard nothing.

I know it’s not the same but with Bristol Sport recently making staff redundant and others have been put on vastly reduced hours and some might even be still furloughed, it’s a bit of a kick for them if they see too much being made of players being given contracts. Yes I know we have shown signings, and probably fans expect that but contract renewals maybe have been done low key and announced at a later date?

I'd be sad to see Massengo leave, could maybe do with a loan though. With Bakinson now established makes things even more difficult for the others. I like Nagy but he would be fairly easy to sell so can see him going for the right money. I was looking forward to seeing Morrell and Walsh but can only see them getting a chance if we get injuries. We have to offload some to make room for a couple of extra left-sided defenders. With the system we've got half the outfield players are basically defenders leaving only 5 spots for everyone else so we have a massive overload in midfield, our squad is out of balance for the system we're playing.

7 hours ago, SX227 said:

This won't go down well, but I'd have Pato sold whilst in reasonable form - and has value.

Walsh, Massengo, Morrell are younger and have much more upside.

This is peak Pato and I'd offload.

Too patchy.

If the 'philosophy' of recent years continues then Bakinson is the next big Sell On, and there surely is more potential improvement (and therefore more ££) in Walsh (23 yrs old), Massengo (19) and Morrell (23) than a 29 yr old Jamie P.

I've been putting forward this argument on several threads for a week or 2.

You're right, it doesn't go down well!

I would possibly loan Massengo to Bundesliga 1 or 2.  Technical football, but physical too.  This is the first time I’ve ever suggested loaning him out, but emergence of Bakinson, players to come back from injury, means his game time is gonna be limited.  I don’t think Lg1 is the right place for him. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I would possibly loan Massengo to Bundesliga 1 or 2.  Technical football, but physical too.  This is the first time I’ve ever suggested loaning him out, but emergence of Bakinson, players to come back from injury, means his game time is gonna be limited.  I don’t think Lg1 is the right place for him. 

Massengo in the Bundesliga would be great, but as I said above Dave, not quite as simple as saying right, Han-Noah, you're off to Germany now. Enjoy the bratwurst!

Does his family follow him again? Does he want to add another language?

Lots of lads at just 19 don't want to be shipped off.

Repeating what others have said but Nagy, Palmer and Eliasson are all players that should reasonably be looking to play regular first team football and don't seem close here at the moment. I think, had Nagy not had his early injury and, with a different style and a different system, Palmer and Nagy would both have shown more of what they can do but the reality is that they are the ones that look surplus to requrements.

I agree that loaning out Massengo would be pragmatic but I'm not sure I see it realistically. I think it's times like this when it's a shame there aren't lower level Championship clubs within easy reach of us. I think he'd learn a lot through a season at a team like Barnsley, Rotherham or Wycombe combined with some time at the club but it's just not realistic geographically and I don't know whether he'd want to move abroad again for a season, and whether that would help him settling here. 

20 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Palmer, Nagy , massengo (loan) imo 

If they can’t make the squad with three midfielders injured then they’ve got no chance when they’re fit. 

The number of injuries we get in a normal season and combine that with the condensed nature of this one- dunno if loaning out multiple midfielders is the best move.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agreed- if we loan him, that feels an ideal location.

I remember a year ago whether a loan for Moore there might also have been good for similar reasons- think Bundesliga 2 of the two to be interested in a Massengo loan but it's definitely the closest European 2nd tier to ours!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Oh, I know it’s not simple.  But that’s what I’d do for his footballing development.  Maybe Ligue 1 loan, back to France.

Playing devils advocate as I like to do... maybe an English loan will be exactly what is needed? He already seems technically good. Isn't it the pace, physicality and chaos of our league that he needs to acclimatise to? 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The number of injuries we get in a normal season and combine that with the condensed nature of this one- dunno if loaning out multiple midfielders is the best move.

I have heard this argument before but assuming that Williams, O’Dowda, Walsh & Morrell are all back post the international break, when you then consider that Bakinson started, Brunt & Eliasson were on the bench & Palmer, Nagy & HNM didn’t even make it, that looks like we have 10 players for a maximum of 2 slots because even if Paterson & Weimann don’t always start, one of them certainly will.

The counter argument to this would also mean we needed at least 8 centre backs & 6 strikers.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree to a certain extent and have raised the same concerns myself. Although , that would still leave us with . Bakinson, brunt, Morrell, Walsh, Williams , pato, wiemann and even  O’dowda . Nagy & massengo aren’t making the squad even with three injuries. 

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

Agree to a certain extent and have raised the same concerns myself. Although , that would still leave us with . Bakinson, brunt, Morrell, Walsh, Williams , pato, wiemann and even  O’dowda . Nagy & massengo aren’t making the squad even with three injuries. 

O'Dowda I'd look to move on definitely- Palmer I was minded to move on but now not so sure- if he can work on the interceptions and the tackling numbers and keep working on that it might yet change, no problem with the flair side of his game.

Brunt I'd have thought would be more like cover, utility- but who knows!

Can Walsh and Morrell co-exist? I don't mean biologically, but with Paterson and Weimann now first choice midfielders, we only need one of them.

Holden said Walsh is part of our plans. I predict we controversially sell Joe Morrell before the window closes, and a Championship club snap him up.

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

O'Dowda I'd look to move on definitely- Palmer I was minded to move on but now not so sure- if he can work on the interceptions and the tackling numbers and keep working on that it might yet change, no problem with the flair side of his game.

Brunt I'd have thought would be more like cover, utility- but who knows!

True, it’s just that O’Dowda is injured so can’t see anyone taking him before the window closes. Not sure if Palmer can be disciplined enough in the defensive side of his game. He turns up second half against Northampton but not sure that’s any kind of barometer to measure him by. Certainly him & Nagy to go imo , possibly massengo on loan , even short term loan. 

Archived