IGNORED

James Morton on loan to Grimsby

Alan Dicks

28 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But while Holloway is managing this club, surely he would want the best for his current club as his job is on the line? If he was to just bring players in & pay their wages while not trying to improve his current club it would be detrimental to his current employment & any future jobs he maybe in the running for & I can’t even see him being so bitchy as to put his livelihood on the line for a petty feud.

He’s openly admitted that we are well run & heading in the right direction, so why wouldn’t he want any help that’s on offer, regardless of where it’s coming from. Grimsby aren’t exactly in a position where that can refuse all help on offer.

Agree he wouldnt intend to damage the players I'm not suggesting that. 

14 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Agree he wouldnt intend to damage the players I'm not suggesting that. 

I’m not suggesting that he would damage our players but there would literally be nothing in it for him to take players from a club & then mistreat them, that could be by the way he puts them through training or by not actually playing them.

Football, while it seems like it is a huge world, is actually a very closed set-up, people talk & things get passed between scouts, coaches, players & managers etc so if there was any doubts as to mistreatment, it would be very damaging to anyone involved.

I actually remember an interview that Holloway did not long after he took the Grimsby job where he had responded to appeals that had been put out in the football world where other managers / coaches at lower level clubs had reached out needing players & he offered players to these clubs because they couldn’t afford to buy but needed help.

Now while I don’t like Holloway because of his anti-City stance & his whole demeanour during his interviews, he does have whatever club he’s at’s best interest at heart. Grimsby probably aren’t a club in the best of financial position’s & while he’s helped out other clubs by giving them players he doesn’t particularly need now, he probably see’s the benefits of using what contacts he’s got to borrow other clubs players that they don’t particularly need right now.

Now I know Holloway has been to Ashton Gate over the years in a punditry position & he will no doubt know Brian Tinnion & there will probably be some sort of mutual respect between the two because of what both of them have done over the years in the game & I even remember an interview with Tinnion where he said clubs now trust us to send them players without them actually asking specifically for those players because they know the types of players we are bringing through (as in they are unlikely to be trouble makers or big time Charlie’s etc), so they know if they ask if we have a left-back that would possibly do the job in that division, we aren’t going to send them someone who’s going to cause problems.

Similarly & again it’s along the G*s link, we have loaned Walsall quite a few players over the last few seasons & Darrell Clarke is the current manager / head coach there & he has commented about the trust he now has in us & we also have in him / Walsall because of our recent links. It seems like we have no issues with trusting other clubs, after all, if they fail in their duty of care towards our player(s), we simply don’t give them anymore players, which is more harmful to the loaning club than it would be to us I’d suggest.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

I’m not suggesting that he would damage our players but there would literally be nothing in it for him to take players from a club & then mistreat them, that could be by the way he puts them through training or by not actually playing them.

Football, while it seems like it is a huge world, is actually a very closed set-up, people talk & things get passed between scouts, coaches, players & managers etc so if there was any doubts as to mistreatment, it would be very damaging to anyone involved.

I actually remember an interview that Holloway did not long after he took the Grimsby job where he had responded to appeals that had been put out in the football world where other managers / coaches at lower level clubs had reached out needing players & he offered players to these clubs because they couldn’t afford to buy but needed help.

Now while I don’t like Holloway because of his anti-City stance & his whole demeanour during his interviews, he does have whatever club he’s at’s best interest at heart. Grimsby probably aren’t a club in the best of financial position’s & while he’s helped out other clubs by giving them players he doesn’t particularly need now, he probably see’s the benefits of using what contacts he’s got to borrow other clubs players that they don’t particularly need right now.

Now I know Holloway has been to Ashton Gate over the years in a punditry position & he will no doubt know Brian Tinnion & there will probably be some sort of mutual respect between the two because of what both of them have done over the years in the game & I even remember an interview with Tinnion where he said clubs now trust us to send them players without them actually asking specifically for those players because they know the types of players we are bringing through (as in they are unlikely to be trouble makers or big time Charlie’s etc), so they know if they ask if we have a left-back that would possibly do the job in that division, we aren’t going to send them someone who’s going to cause problems.

Similarly & again it’s along the G*s link, we have loaned Walsall quite a few players over the last few seasons & Darrell Clarke is the current manager / head coach there & he has commented about the trust he now has in us & we also have in him / Walsall because of our recent links. It seems like we have no issues with trusting other clubs, after all, if they fail in their duty of care towards our player(s), we simply don’t give them anymore players, which is more harmful to the loaning club than it would be to us I’d suggest.

Can't argue with most of that. Logical and sound. But he's just got an awful record

Fallen from prem manager to literally the lowest point in the professional league

Upset countless people along the way and thrown tantrums at owners and fans

Then add in the news that Grimsby are skint, and their chairman wants the season cancelled and you'd have to agree this doesn't look like a good call from tinman.

They've just closed their training ground for 14 days and Bradford have slated them for being unprofessional

Being 250 miles away from family and friends in a pandemic isn't great.

Poor decision, I stand by my view.

Madness to send them to fishy town with skelator calling the shots 

4 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Can't argue with most of that. Logical and sound. But he's just got an awful record

Fallen from prem manager to literally the lowest point in the professional league

Upset countless people along the way and thrown tantrums at owners and fans

Then add in the news that Grimsby are skint, and their chairman wants the season cancelled and you'd have to agree this doesn't look like a good call from tinman.

They've just closed their training ground for 14 days and Bradford have slated them for being unprofessional

Being 250 miles away from family and friends in a pandemic isn't great.

Poor decision, I stand by my view.

Holding down a job in professional football isn’t an easy career, so to have the career that he has, is quite a big positive to him (in my view). And it’s not like he’s take. Some of the bigger clubs to success, QPR & Blackpool in particular. And even having been out of the game for a few years, to be able to get back into the football league is also a big positive on his behalf........

I believe that Holloway has invested some of his own money into Grimsby & while moving two youngsters to Grimsby at this particular time may not be seen as ideal, there is the added bonus that if Holloway is spending any time down here while things are allowed that he can bring Edwards & Morton down with him (and back up when the time comes) so no traveling on their own. And for all his faults, he is supposed to be one hell of a man manager & while no one is ever going to be able to keep everyone happy all of the time, you tend to hear of more players speaking positively of hi. Than you do negatively but that also depends on what clubs players / fans you speak to because if you speak to those people at Millwall & Plymouth, you won’t hear very positive things but that is more to do with the culture at Millwall & the way he left Plymouth.

As for their training ground being closed, what are you expecting them to do, keep it open while they’ve had a case of Covid-19? I would suggest that would be even more irresponsible of Holloway / the club, if the player has been there while having the virus. And don’t forget, League One & Two. Clubs are being tested as regularly as Championship & Premier League clubs so I would suggest they are being very responsible. It’s easy for Bradford to slag them off but until they are in that position, I’d suggest it’s irresponsible of them under the current climate!

How would you anticipate Tinnion knowing before now that Grimsby want the season ended? He’s had an offer to give another one of our young players a loan into League Two, where we already have one player (who I assume he’s checked with on how he’s getting on up there?), so assuming Edwards response has come back positive, Tinnion has no reason to not accept the deal, right? Surely you (or anyone else) can’t expect Tinnion to ask every club, every couple of weeks what their intentions are towards a season that is being played out in unprecedented times? Or am I being naive?

47 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

I have to ask... You've called him 'Skelator' about six times now. Does that genuinely give you a laugh, or do you think other people get one out of it?

You've said it so many times it's like when somebody explains the joke to somebody who gets it but just doesn't find you funny.

Bet you're the type to call Rovers fans, 'sags' too and it sends your cider spraying out your nose you giggle to yourself so hard. 

22 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Holding down a job in professional football isn’t an easy career, so to have the career that he has, is quite a big positive to him (in my view). And it’s not like he’s take. Some of the bigger clubs to success, QPR & Blackpool in particular. And even having been out of the game for a few years, to be able to get back into the football league is also a big positive on his behalf........

I believe that Holloway has invested some of his own money into Grimsby & while moving two youngsters to Grimsby at this particular time may not be seen as ideal, there is the added bonus that if Holloway is spending any time down here while things are allowed that he can bring Edwards & Morton down with him (and back up when the time comes) so no traveling on their own. And for all his faults, he is supposed to be one hell of a man manager & while no one is ever going to be able to keep everyone happy all of the time, you tend to hear of more players speaking positively of hi. Than you do negatively but that also depends on what clubs players / fans you speak to because if you speak to those people at Millwall & Plymouth, you won’t hear very positive things but that is more to do with the culture at Millwall & the way he left Plymouth.

As for their training ground being closed, what are you expecting them to do, keep it open while they’ve had a case of Covid-19? I would suggest that would be even more irresponsible of Holloway / the club, if the player has been there while having the virus. And don’t forget, League One & Two. Clubs are being tested as regularly as Championship & Premier League clubs so I would suggest they are being very responsible. It’s easy for Bradford to slag them off but until they are in that position, I’d suggest it’s irresponsible of them under the current climate!

How would you anticipate Tinnion knowing before now that Grimsby want the season ended? He’s had an offer to give another one of our young players a loan into League Two, where we already have one player (who I assume he’s checked with on how he’s getting on up there?), so assuming Edwards response has come back positive, Tinnion has no reason to not accept the deal, right? Surely you (or anyone else) can’t expect Tinnion to ask every club, every couple of weeks what their intentions are towards a season that is being played out in unprecedented times? Or am I being naive?

The training ground is closed for 14 days. This is not FA protocol.

They haven't communicated with bradford. Read comments from Bradford

Their chairman wanted the season ended before we sent a second player 

And Grimsby was still 250 miles away before the pandemic. 

12 minutes ago, TBW said:

I have to ask... You've called him 'Skelator' about six times now. Does that genuinely give you a laugh, or do you think other people get one out of it?

You've said it so many times it's like when somebody explains the joke to somebody who gets it but just doesn't find you funny.

Bet you're the type to call Rovers fans, 'sags' too and it sends your cider spraying out your nose you giggle to yourself so hard. 

I didn't realise my use of the word skelator would provoke such a reaction. I think you've read into this way too much.

It wasn't said as a joke. Sadly the entire situation isnt funny. 

Perhaps take a deep breath and enjoy a cider yourself Ian 

13 minutes ago, TBW said:

Bit ironic that.

Having an opinion based on logic is not a tantrum

But your comment did make me laugh. So fair enough ?

27 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I do agree with elements of the above! I'm not totally blinkered ?

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

The training ground is closed for 14 days. This is not FA protocol.

They haven't communicated with bradford. Read comments from Bradford

Their chairman wanted the season ended before we sent a second player 

Maybe they will adjust that time once they are sure things are cleared? Closing your training ground shouldn’t mean a match should be called off, they can train wherever.

Why should they communicate anything with Bradford? Bradford have no say in any decision made, it’s the decision of the EFL!

Vyner went to Aberdeen last season, what’s the distance got to do with anything? You’ll probably find that young players grow more as a person & a player without having someone close at hand to hold their hands throughout their time! Edwards will now have Morton to hangout with although I don’t think he particularly needs it for any form of survival, Edwards got first team football within weeks of moving up there & I’m assuming that there probably wasn’t a long list of football league clubs queuing up take either of them on loan. So would you prefer that given the probable limited options available to either players that went on loan to Weston-Super-Mare on loan so they stayed local or would you prefer that went out & got football league experience?

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

You must have hated Vyners loan at Aberdeen.

Or when we had Matthews down from Sunderland.

London is over 100 miles away, maybe we should send Mawson and Sessegnon back. After all, QPR, Charlton, Millwall and Leyton Orient are much closer.

14 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

You must have hated Vyners loan at Aberdeen.

Or when we had Matthews down from Sunderland.

London is over 100 miles away, maybe we should send Mawson and Sessegnon back. After all, QPR, Charlton, Millwall and Leyton Orient are much closer.

You're winding me up right??

Matthews ......

And 2hrs to London is very different to 250!

It's also different these lads have zero first team experience... 

Not even close to being comparable

1 minute ago, Matthew me said:

You're winding me up right??

Matthews ......

And 2hrs to London is very different to 250!

It's also different these lads have zero first team experience... 

Not even close to being comparable

But these aren’t 13 year-old boys, these are adults, they are old enough to vote & drink alcohol if they so wish.

There are constant tv highlights or live streams of games if the club feel the need to watch every game & there are phones & Zoom or Skype if the club need to make sure of how the lads are. They haven’t been moved to Antarctica with no phone signal (or at least I assume Grimsby has at least 2G up there???‍♂️).

They won’t of just been dumped in Grimsby & forgotten about & being at a club like Grimsby will possibly be the making of them, it may help them appreciate what they’ve got & what they can get by achieving more than by just settling for a career at a Grimsby type of club.

I’m sure they’ll be fine up there.

Shall we just accept that we've got different views on this!!!

Becoming a very boring thread 

In my opinion, sending two boys with no first team experience to a club that's demanding the season be cancelled and sit bottom of the league isn't a great idea.

It's also not great to have them 250 miles away.

In my opinion, it grates that Holloway comes begging after years of abuse and digs about us... And we oblige

He's a manager that's fallen from grace in no uncertain terms. Prem to LG2 . 

It's my opinion. Id much rather we fed clubs like Cheltenham, Yeovil, newport, etc. But that's life 

Let's move on and hope all my worries of a volatile manager and crisis club are not warranted. 

At present they've cancelled three matches, have no training ground and appear to have the begging bowl out for cash from government. Seems madness to me!

Lots of comments from others appear fair regarding Holloway being passionate , and a decent player. No arguments with that 

And being a Bristol boy I'm sure he's mates with tinman and our staff.  Good luck to our two players. Hope it works out

2 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But these aren’t 13 year-old boys, these are adults, they are old enough to vote & drink alcohol if they so wish.

There are constant tv highlights or live streams of games if the club feel the need to watch every game & there are phones & Zoom or Skype if the club need to make sure of how the lads are. They haven’t been moved to Antarctica with no phone signal (or at least I assume Grimsby has at least 2G up there???‍♂️).

They won’t of just been dumped in Grimsby & forgotten about & being at a club like Grimsby will possibly be the making of them, it may help them appreciate what they’ve got & what they can get by achieving more than by just settling for a career at a Grimsby type of club.

I’m sure they’ll be fine up there.

2g ??

@Matthew mePort Vale have today closed their training ground / academy for 14 days after a staff member has returned a positive test.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/port-vale-close-academy-14-4559755.amp

It seems like 14 days is something clubs are now going by to maybe make sure any underlying forms of the virus have gone from the property while any individuals that return a positive test take 10 days?

A mate of mine is a QPR fan. When Holloway was there a couple of years back, they were slashing costs from their premier league days and he had to lean heavily on the youngsters. Their results weren't great but he did a fantastic job of developing young players. Not just Eze but Lumley and Manning who came through the ranks and I think Shodipo, who he gave a first chance to, plus Osayi-Samuel, Smyth who were signed and played regularly.

I get why some fans dislike Holloway's Rovers links but, as a manager who'll trust young players, give them games and help them develop, he really is hard to knock.

Archived