IGNORED

Manager of the month?

Lanterne Rouge

Does anyone know when the shortlists for manager/player of the month are announced?

Just checked btw and the last time we won the manager award was September 2017. In fact, should Holden win, it would only be the third time our manager has ever claimed the prize since it became an official award in 2004. Gary Johnson never won it in the play-off final season, the only other time it's made it's way to AG was Keith Millen in November 2010. Only 4 other teams have won it just twice, and 4 have won it once. Cardiff top the table with 10 wins.

Similarly we've only nabbed the player award twice. Both won by Aden Flint - February 2016 and September 2017. Could Paterson be on for this? Or has 5-goal Armstrong got this one wrapped up?

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Does anyone know when the shortlists for manager/player of the month are announced?

Just checked btw and the last time we won the manager award was September 2017. In fact, should Holden win, it would only be the third time our manager has ever claimed the prize since it became an official award in 2004. Gary Johnson never won it in the play-off final season, the only other time it's made it's way to AG was Keith Millen in November 2010. Only 4 other teams have won it just twice, and 4 have won it once. Cardiff top the table with 10 wins.

Similarly we've only nabbed the player award twice. Both won by Aden Flint - February 2016 and September 2017. Could Paterson be on for this? Or has 5-goal Armstrong got this one wrapped up?

Suspect it will go to Armstrong (Player of the month), but Martin could be in with a shout as well. Either 3 or 4 assists (depending where you look) from 3 starts and 1 sub appearance.

On 28/09/2020 at 12:26, ExiledAjax said:

Precisely. Only takes a quick Google to find the following (and many other explanations) https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.racingpost.com/sport/why-the-efl-manager-of-the-month-award-is-a-blessing-not-a-curse/399338/amp

I investigated EFL Managers of the Month in the ten seasons 2009-10 to 2018-19. For every month from August to April an award was given to a manager in the Championship, a manager in League One and a manager in League Two. So there were three awards for nine months over ten seasons, a total of 270.

I noted the results of a recipient’s team in the month for which the award was given, in the next month and in all other months that season.

In the month their manager won the award teams averaged 2.6 points per game. The next month they averaged 1.6 points per game. That was a huge drop. It should not be surprising, though.

A team who averaged 2.6 points per game over a whole 46-game season would finish with 120 points. The record total in the EFL is 106 by Reading in the Championship in 2005-06. A pace of 2.6 points per game is super-fast. Only rarely will a team keep it up even for a couple of months.

I have heard people call the Manager of the Month award a curse. It is not. The month of the award is a blessing, for the manager, his players and their fans. Afterwards, more often than not, things become whatever is going to pass for ordinary.

Over the next month, as I said, teams averaged 1.6 points per game. Over the rest of the season – that is to say, every month apart from the month of the award and the next month – they also averaged 1.6 points per game.

So we can make this general statement: the Manager of the Month award is given for an exception, after which results return to normal. The strange thing is not any downturn following the award but the upturn for which it was given.

It isn't a "curse". I can't actually believe some seem to seriously think it is. 

Great post.

If our team were to average 1.6 over the rest of the season plus the 12 we have in the bank we would have 79 points which would be a play off spot and in some seasons a top two finish.

On 28/09/2020 at 10:52, Top Robin said:

Its almost like we have 3 managers.

Taking nothing away from Dean who has been great, I think a major part of our transformation has been due to the 2 new coaches who are clearly very good at their jobs with strong personalities.

I am sure that have a serious input into the team selection and tactics for every game.

A good thing I feel and something that was lacking under Lee's authoritarian leadership.

It's a fascinating thing that in the past couple of seasons at the point we've been doing really well I've read similar on here about Lee's side kicks in Jamie and Deano- they got special praise when we were winning and ignored when we were losing.

So just so I get it... when we have a bad run- will it be  Dean's fault or an entirely collective responsibility? cos it can't work both ways.

55 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Suspect it will go to Armstrong (Player of the month), but Martin could be in with a shout as well. Either 3 or 4 assists (depending where you look) from 3 starts and 1 sub appearance.

Agree, likely for most of us on here Martin is our (and possibly in with a shout of the division's) player of the month (with nods to Mr Bentley and Mr Paterson). However, I doubt he'll even get a mention in the shortlist. As @Davefevs said on another thread, these awards, and team of the week type stuff - they're done on stats. Goals will always win out against assists in that regard, and so Martin will be left for us to cherish in solitude.

28 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Agree, likely for most of us on here Martin is our (and possibly in with a shout of the division's) player of the month (with nods to Mr Bentley and Mr Paterson). However, I doubt he'll even get a mention in the shortlist. As @Davefevs said on another thread, these awards, and team of the week type stuff - they're done on stats. Goals will always win out against assists in that regard, and so Martin will be left for us to cherish in solitude.

There's a thread on him on the Derby forum after his assist for Weimann against Forest (although FlashScore doesn't credit him with one for it) and one Derby fan calls him the best player in the division.

Suspect a bit of bias there, but from what I've seen of him so far he's certainly got good "football intelligence" as the pundits would call it.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

There's a thread on him on the Derby forum after his assist for Weimann against Forest (although FlashScore doesn't credit him with one for it) and one Derby fan calls him the best player in the division.

Suspect a bit of bias there, but from what I've seen of him so far he's certainly got good "football intelligence" as the pundits would call it.

I think Benrahama (sp?) might want a word with that Derby fan! I'd maybe go with "best 30+ free agent striker who plays as a link up man".

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think Benrahama (sp?) might want a word with that Derby fan! I'd maybe go with "best 30+ free agent striker who plays as a link up man".

I suspect it's fair to say there was a bit of bias in the comment.

Martin seems to be a popular player over there, one person even saying this

"Bristol city can be my unofficial second favourite team in the division. 
I’m pleased to see Chris Martin and weimann doing well.

somewhere they still have Kasey Palmer too. 
And simmo. whats not to like?

oh yeah, that forest reject"

"Wish we had a frontline as good as Weimann, Martin and Paterson. So many goals between them.

Oh, wait....."

It's not a long thread, but no negative comments about Martin.

Nearest there was is "midtable at best", but they could easily have been referring to City in that comment.

I'd like to see DH win it. Coming in when the overwhelming fans favourite was Chris Hughton and doing really well, including a decent run in the League Cup.

I think it would help both the confidence of the management team and the players.

You want to be taking as many positives as possible to build momentum.

Hope he wins it because he deserves to with the start that we have had this season. Remember, we are never a fancied club when it comes to the wider footballing community.

On 29/09/2020 at 19:30, OneTeamInBristol said:

I think they should do a worst manager of the month as well.

Not just based on say 4 losses throughout the month, but awful substitutions and wrong tactical decisions and truly gopping wardrobe choices. 

Stop dreaming.

So LJ would of been awarded several months back. If there was such an award he would of won it hands down.

Manager of the month is a very rewarding award and we need to think positive. DH I hope doesn’t get it has he still has to be lean and mean. If we win the next four then yes he should get it.

I remember Alan Dicks getting the award many many many years ago and he got a bloody massive bottle of whisky. Not sure but I think Terry Cooper won one as well.

lets hope the good times come back to Ashton Gate and our manager do win awards. 

lets keep DH hungry for success. 

On 06/10/2020 at 06:24, BigTone said:

I hate these awards because basically they are just pointless.

However I will accept your nominations for "retired old **** of the month".  Someone needs to contest Robbored !!

And I will accept the "very tired old **** of the month".

Archived