IGNORED

AW - he’s only what fans ask for!

SStandUp

Andreas Weinmann

Arguably good enough to be starting in that XI

Arguably not good enough to be starting in that XI

But, I have never seen a Bristol City player work harder in a City shirt than Weinmann does. 

The attacking and recovery runs he makes for 90 mins is something else.

I really do hope the respect he deserves is put on his name by everyone, and that it remains on his name even during difficult spells of results.

What a player, proud to have him in our shirt! 

He’s a really good player.

I think his critics should take a closer look at his career, he was a regular in The Prem with Villa, then a regular at Derby when they were a far better side than we were.

Last season he was available for 45 out of 46 games, only missing the Blackburn one following his positive Covid test. In his first season with us he was available for 45 out of the 46 as well.

Aside from this his attitude, work rate & professionalism are exemplary & although not a prolific scorer is good for around double figures each season.

He cost us £2m, so the same fee as Engvall, slightly more than Milan Djuric, when we were a League One club we would never have attracted a player like him.

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think his critics should take a closer look at his career, he was a regular in The Prem with Villa, then a regular at Derby when they were a far better side than we were.

Last season he was available for 45 out of 46 games, only missing the Blackburn one following his positive Covid test. In his first season with us he was available for 45 out of the 46 as well.

Aside from this his attitude, work rate & professionalism are exemplary & although not a prolific scorer is good for around double figures each season.

He cost us £2m, so the same fee as Engvall, slightly more than Milan Djuric, when we were a League One club we would never have attracted a player like him.

I think my criticism is solely based on his career. The levels he has played at I expect more from him when he has the ball. Never question his work rate or drive. Hell I think if you don’t look at his past you’d say solid championship player. In reality it is hard to ignore the what 150? Prem appearances and question why he often looks like he is thinking too slowly. 

Idk he is a good player and I have to say I am not sure he is droppable on current form, even in that position. I just expect better decisions from him from time to time. 

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He did get moved to this box to box role away at Wigan last season after about 20-30 mins. It worked that day but LJ never tried it again.

His running around a lot is exactly what makes him the player he is. So it's not really a criticism to say that. His work rate is ridiculous. Now he's in a position where we benefit from that work rate.

I see Holden continuing with him in midfield more than up front. Him and Paterson's work rate key to how we play.

Its good that Joe Williams is coming back who is also a very very hard worker. He doesn't stop running like our current box to box midfielders.

I'd put Williams in his midfield spot in a heartbeat. Happy to have one of Pato or Weimann in the 3rd midfield slot if we want a 6, 8, 10 trio.

Both Deano and his predecessor LJ had AW down as one of the first on the team sheet and I daresay he’d walk into any other Championship team. The guy is an excellent footballer

No doubt he’s got great stamina and energy and it’s down to Deano, Simmo and Downo ( :rofl2br:) to utilise those qualities to maximum effect.

AW is a good player, he always run forward wit the ball and when he have a good chance he most of the times score. He is fast and rund in all direction, block shoots and work hard.The passes are not always right, you cant have everything in this division. He played nearly every games since he came here. The wing position under LJ was not his place. The position he has now suits him. He is an important player for us. Williams, Walsh, Morell, its gonna be difficault wit the starting eleven. 43 games left and its good that we have good players around.

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

I don't think some people realise what a good job he does.  What players do WITH the ball is only 50% of the role.  His movement, runs and pressure are vital to the team.  

As you've said, he clearly is passionate about this team and is a valuble first team member IMO. 

I think Cruyff said it’s about 2-3 mins per 90 with the ball!!

Too many people on here look at individuals and what they do with the ball, ignoring partnerships, team work etc.  He can be an effective cog in an overall team performance without having to do top stuff on the ball.  Maybe some are starting to see that as our season develops.

He doesn’t just run around, he runs intelligently....he’s not a headless chicken with little ability like Liam Robinson. Yes, he’ll rush a pass.  That’s a weakness, but it’s why he’s at this level.  He’s still no mug.

Who was bursting in the box behind Chris Martin for our first goal? Weimann!

Who almost got on the end of a Wells cross? Weimann!

”Just running about” doesn’t get you into the positions he does.  He’s intelligent, but possibly ahead of his teammates, who don’t see his movement.

If you wanna watch “just running about aimlessly”, watch Barry Bannan for our goal.  Not got an Effin’ clue where to run.

If that was Pato or Weimann, they’d be getting slagged off on here.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

He's ok when played in a position that suits his strengths.

He was ineffective and part of the problem when played wide.

Runs and presses like no other.

His technical ability isn't so good.

If he had both he'd be some player.

If he had both he wouldn’t be at Bristol City. 

I've been a sceptic of Weimann in midfield but ultimately he is central to how we play and the onus is on Morrell, Walsh, Williams, Nagy, Massengo, Palmer etc, to prove they can replicate what he can bring to the team including the work rate and the intelligent running, whilst adding something Weimann cannot.

I hope one of them does it, because it is great for the team if someone comes in and proves they can make us even better than we are not, but Weimann is putting the pressure on everyone else competing for the midfield slot to prove they can offer more to the team than he does, and he is setting a high standard for them to match. 

I think Weimann needs the right players around him to bring out the best in him, which then in turn brings out the best in them. Chris Martin has made a huge difference in my opinion to both Weimann and Wells.

Actually without sounding harsh the absence of Diedhiou has also helped too. Add Williams and Walsh into the mix in a couple of weeks and we are in for some ‘sexy football’ I think.

I think there is a real coaching opportunity here.

We all know his work rate is great. If we could just work on his decision making particularly when he is carrying the ball at speed we could have a great player.

He seems to become more of a headless chicken when the options in front of him are more than one and potentially goal producing.

If we could just get him to calm down at this point he would be twice the player he is.

51 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

If he had both he wouldn’t be at Bristol City. 

Isn't the point though that he needs to be good enough to get City promoted? 

That's what's in question here.

I've always found him frustrating but I have come round to the idea that he needs to be part of the squad. I wouldn't always start him though.

18 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think Weimann needs the right players around him to bring out the best in him, which then in turn brings out the best in them. Chris Martin has made a huge difference in my opinion to both Weimann and Wells.

Actually without sounding harsh the absence of Diedhiou has also helped too. Add Williams and Walsh into the mix in a couple of weeks and we are in for some ‘sexy football’ I think.

I agree but, in fairness, Diedhiou and Semenyo's hassling of the defence was essential to the second goal. Diedhiou is probably the striker with the toughest job of proving he fits into the new system but yesterday's cameo was the first time I saw shoots of what he might offer. 

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I think that availability goes under the radar. In this day and age that's an incredible record

Probably the fittest player to ever wear the City shirt? Still pressing the defence and goal keeper in the 90th minute yesterday, and not just slowly, full sprint

2 hours ago, mozo said:

I'd put Williams in his midfield spot in a heartbeat. Happy to have one of Pato or Weimann in the 3rd midfield slot if we want a 6, 8, 10 trio.

So is this post seriously suggesting Pato is competing for a place in our midfield?

Because on current form there is absolutely no question he is our first choice, no matter who out of our other 86 midfield players is fit.

Just now, GrahamC said:

So is this post seriously suggesting Pato is competing for a place in our midfield?

Because on current form there is absolutely no question he is our first choice, no matter who out of our other 86 midfield players is fit.

I agree, he's in good form but I assume we didnt buy Williams to sit on the bench.

It's absolutely their shirts to lose though and he shouldn't walk in until form or fitness drops

Just now, MarcusX said:

I think that availability goes under the radar. In this day and age that's an incredible record

Probably the fittest player to ever wear the City shirt? Still pressing the defence and goal keeper in the 90th minute yesterday, and not just slowly, full sprint

Watched one of those training videos we did first week back, pretty obvious then that his fitness was off the scale when compared to the rest & let’s face it, when you see the likes of Rowe & Hunt there are not the fitness levels of yesteryear.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree but, in fairness, Diedhiou and Semenyo's hassling of the defence was essential to the second goal. Diedhiou is probably the striker with the toughest job of proving he fits into the new system but yesterday's cameo was the first time I saw shoots of what he might offer. 

Yes I agree with yesterday’s performance, which is what I supposecwe should be looking at. I guess I meant the football is very different now we aren’t lumping the ball up to a lone Diedhiou and bypassing the midfield when we get desperate.

I guess we haven’t looked desperate so much and we are using players to run at the opposition defence, making them guess which player is going to receive the ball and shoot as it could be any of a number of them. Nice options to have.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I said one of Weimann or Pato for midfield so we're not in disagreement!

I've been a sceptic of Weimann and Paterson but more so Weimann in midfield but it seems to be working- everyone seems to be contributing, our defensive numbers are undoubtedly improving.

It doesn't feel a natural fit in the case of Weimann in central midfield especially but their numbers defensively have been okay too- improved on what they put in before in any case- another undoubted positive about having them both in CM is that in certain phases they can a) Pull wider to support the LWB in attack and b) Help to cover the wing back in defence.

Of course there are- will be- tougher tests to come. It's a long season but so far so excellent.

I also forgot to add, their naturally attacking instincts means that they are perhaps more prone to being fouled and to winning fouls- free kicks to break up play, get the defence a breather or a foothold higher up the pitch in certain phases.

I like Weimann anyway and would always have him in and around the team, but he is growing on me as a midfield option. I think that could possibly be because we have improved our composure elsewhere (Moore, Bakinson & Martin for starters), therefore we can afford to accommodate some of Weimann's shortcomings for all of the good attributes he brings to the team.

Only time will tell if there are sides in the Championship that will expose our current midfield, like it was at times before Bakinson took over. However the signs are promising and Weimann the midfielder has become a big part of that.

Archived