Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

AW - he’s only what fans ask for!

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interest hypothesis - In what way?

Just an example, but running lots at high intensity because you got caught out of position, is that good or bad?

Just in terms of stamina. Of course it could be running around and being useless. Sam Allardyce used sprinting stats a lot apparently to tell players if they were working hard enough.

48 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Just in terms of stamina. Of course it could be running around and being useless. Sam Allardyce used sprinting stats a lot apparently to tell players if they were working hard enough.

Yeah, but working hard isn’t an indication of playing well though is it?  It can contribute, like lots of other things.  Certainly not having a pop, but you’ve been one of the advocates of (paraphrased) “Weimann just runs around a lot” or “doesn’t do much on the ball” evaluation of his performances in the past, but now you’re suggesting it (effort) as a measure of strong performance.  If that’s you now seeing what he brings, perhaps as a result of a position change, then that’s cool.  As I said not having a pop, just interested in your view, which seems to have changed.

On an aside.  I heard one ex-pro tell someone that they used to sprint to take set-pieces at training, just to get another high intensity run on their stats. 😂

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Good job he didn't manage James Rodriguez then!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, but working hard isn’t an indication of playing well though is it?  It can contribute, like lots of other things.  Certainly not having a pop, but you’ve been one of the advocates of (paraphrased) “Weimann just runs around a lot” or “doesn’t do much on the ball” evaluation of his performances in the past, but now you’re suggesting it (effort) as a measure of strong performance.  If that’s you now seeing what he brings, perhaps as a result of a position change, then that’s cool.  As I said not having a pop, just interested in your view, which seems to have changed.

On an aside.  I heard one ex-pro tell someone that they used to sprint to take set-pieces at training, just to get another high intensity run on their stats. 😂

No I just mean consistently good running stats would almost certainly suggest that player can run a lot. I guess it could be misleading if a player is in a role that is more about holding positioning and then having low running/sprinting stats.

As for Weimann I thought a lot of his running was getting him and us nowhere when up top under LJ. And it was frustrating to see.

LJs fault of course. But Holden now sees how to get the best out of his pressing and movement. He's far more involved in this box to box role. And it seems to me Holden only wants players with very high work rate in those positions, I don't think the system works without it.

Williams being brought in is another who can run all day from what I've seen. Pato has very high work rate and stamina too.

Weimann still frustrates me on the ball at times. I think he can lack composure. But now even if he has a bad day on the ball then he'd have contributed a hell of a lot more with his running to the team in his current role.

He still might be moved up top when the midfielders return. But not sure with Wells being the main man, Semenyo looking so good, Martin obviously too. If Fam stays then Weimann most probably only plays midfield I think. If Fam goes then it makes more sense that he'd be up top a lot more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

No I just mean consistently good running stats would almost certainly suggest that player can run a lot. I guess it could be misleading if a player is in a role that is more about holding positioning and then having low running/sprinting stats.

As for Weimann I thought a lot of his running was getting him and us nowhere when up top under LJ. And it was frustrating to see.

LJs fault of course. But Holden now sees how to get the best out of his pressing and movement. He's far more involved in this box to box role. And it seems to me Holden only wants players with very high work rate in those positions, I don't think the system works without it.

Williams being brought in is another who can run all day from what I've seen. Pato has very high work rate and stamina too.

Weimann still frustrates me on the ball at times. I think he can lack composure. But now even if he has a bad day on the ball then he'd have contributed a hell of a lot more with his running to the team in his current role.

He still might be moved up top when the midfielders return. But not sure with Wells being the main man, Semenyo looking so good, Martin obviously too. If Fam stays then Weimann most probably only plays midfield I think. If Fam goes then it makes more sense that he'd be up top a lot more.

I initially thought he'd move to be a forward if Fam went but I'm not so sure now. I think Holden has recognised his running works a lot better if he starts deep and central as it means he has options whereas, up front or on the flanks, he'd often race ahead of the rest of the team and end up cornered with no real options. I think a Weimann-esque player is central to how we play and, if Walsh, Morrell, Williams or anyone else want to take his place, they'll need to show they can replicate his running and work rate. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I initially thought he'd move to be a forward if Fam went but I'm not so sure now. I think Holden has recognised his running works a lot better if he starts deep and central as it means he has options whereas, up front or on the flanks, he'd often race ahead of the rest of the team and end up cornered with no real options. I think a Weimann-esque player is central to how we play and, if Walsh, Morrell, Williams or anyone else want to take his place, they'll need to show they can replicate his running and work rate. 

Yep. Though I do think Weimann up top with in this system may work but not with Fam. Depends on the support from midfield. If it's him and Wells then really need someone getting close enough to thread those balls through or down the sides.

Good thing about those midfielders you mention, I think they're all very hard working. I guess we will know how vital Weimann is to this midfield once he isn't playing there.

I think all those midfielders offer a lot more in being able to tackle and pass. But like you say, will have to put in one hell of a shift too.

On 28/09/2020 at 22:43, BS4 on Tour... said:

...ooohh - very surprised that @redordead1 and @SuperRed haven’t replied to your brill post with their usual ‘laughing emoji’  when someone praises Weimann - yet they can’t add anything to the debate other than that ... 

The little tinkers @redordead1 and @SuperRed never fail to disappoint with their lame interactions on here - instead of constantly responding with pathetic emojis, is there any reason why you can’t put into words why you don’t rate Weimann?! Just a sentence or two, not too difficult? Go on, just tell us why he’s not a good footballer ... 🍷

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The little tinkers @redordead1 and @SuperRed never fail to disappoint with their lame interactions on here - instead of constantly responding with pathetic emojis, is there any reason why you can’t put into words why you don’t rate Weimann?! Just a sentence or two, not too difficult? Go on, just tell us why he’s not a good footballer ... 🍷

happy lip sync battle GIF by Paramount Network

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Funny how the perception of a player changes when we win. It wouldn’t surprise me if he gets some serious grief when we loose a few games. For me Weimann is an okay player that runs a bit more than others in the team. Wait until everyone is fit, Weimann will have to be on his game then

• Like 1

3 Ws in midfield for me, Bakinson in rotation with that three. Pato no.2 to Weimann and Morrell/Nagy competing for Walsh's spot.

Williams - holding, keeps the shape, bit of muscle in midfield. HNM competing.

Walsh - Creative juice, spraying passes left and right. Nagy/Morrell competing.

Weimman - Hard working 10 picking up pockets of space behind the strikers. Pato competing.

Bakinson - Can play anywhere he's that good. No one can compete.

Looks like Palmer has no place

9 hours ago, RedNachos said:

3 Ws in midfield for me, Bakinson in rotation with that three. Pato no.2 to Weimann and Morrell/Nagy competing for Walsh's spot.

Williams - holding, keeps the shape, bit of muscle in midfield. HNM competing.

Walsh - Creative juice, spraying passes left and right. Nagy/Morrell competing.

Weimman - Hard working 10 picking up pockets of space behind the strikers. Pato competing.

Bakinson - Can play anywhere he's that good. No one can compete.

Looks like Palmer has no place

I think more than just Palmer will be leaving. At least one more, probably two. Maybe even three.