IGNORED

Max O'Leary Signs 3-Year Deal

steviestevieneville

So Bentley is signed to 2023 as he signed a 4 year deal.

So it's interesting Max would choose to sign such a long deal when he's kinda stuck for the moment.

Of course it's goalkeepers so things can change fast, one injury and you're in the team for 10 years.

This seems like a very good deal for the club, (without knowing wages of course)

14 minutes ago, Prinny said:

So Bentley is signed to 2023 as he signed a 4 year deal.

So it's interesting Max would choose to sign such a long deal when he's kinda stuck for the moment.

Of course it's goalkeepers so things can change fast, one injury and you're in the team for 10 years.

This seems like a very good deal for the club, (without knowing wages of course)

I’m pretty sure it will also give Max a pay rise as well, so why wouldn’t he be happy to take it?

He also seems a confident lad & if he thinks he can dislodge Bentley from the #1 spot then it’s better than him having to risk starting somewhere else.

1 minute ago, Tipps69 said:

I’m pretty sure it will also give Max a pay rise as well, so why wouldn’t he be happy to take it?

He also seems a confident lad & if he thinks he can dislodge Bentley from the #1 spot then it’s better than him having to risk starting somewhere else.

Or maybe it suggests he's not confident and took on the extra money and a safe number two job rather than going out into the big wide world and be a number 1? No-one knows and I'm not really speculating just giving an alternative option and in these uncertain times it's probably the safer thing to do. There's risks in everything.

I haven't gotten the impression that he's that confident. Firstly his interviews and then coming for crosses and command of area aspect of his game seems to be his flaw playing wise from what I've seen. Reminds me a bit of Steve Phillips. Good shot stopper, bit of a flapper. Bit like Bentley, but Bentley seems super reckless sometimes whereas Max is more likely to hesitate.

However I think the way Bentley performed the last couple of seasons gives the number two here a great chance to play some games, and once you get in who knows how long you'll stay in so I think it's a good situation for Max.

• The title was changed to Max O'Leary Signs 3-Year Deal
40 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Or maybe it suggests he's not confident and took on the extra money and a safe number two job rather than going out into the big wide world and be a number 1? No-one knows and I'm not really speculating just giving an alternative option and in these uncertain times it's probably the safer thing to do. There's risks in everything.

I haven't gotten the impression that he's that confident. Firstly his interviews and then coming for crosses and command of area aspect of his game seems to be his flaw playing wise from what I've seen. Reminds me a bit of Steve Phillips. Good shot stopper, bit of a flapper. Bit like Bentley, but Bentley seems super reckless sometimes whereas Max is more likely to hesitate.

However I think the way Bentley performed the last couple of seasons gives the number two here a great chance to play some games, and once you get in who knows how long you'll stay in so I think it's a good situation for Max.

I’d suggest that maybe we have differing views with regards to Max, for someone who has only really had one & a bit season of football league game time & with how well he did during that time at Shrewsbury in League One, he should probably feel that he’s ready for more first team football. The fact the Mäenpää has now left & it’s left a void for our back-up keeper, he’s probably more confident that if the chance arises, he could take it. Whereas as over previous seasons he’s had very little football league experience & had at least two seasoned pro’s ahead of him. Hence why he has gone out & got experience at non-league level before taking the Shrewsbury loan.

During the period he had in goal for us a couple of seasons ago he looked assured & it could well of been the case that while he had to play then because of injury & there were no other options, maybe as appears to be the case with many of the other youngsters this season in particularly, LJ didn’t have the confidence in him?

He’s still young & by the club having faith in him to make him the back-up keeper it is probably saving the club a bit of money too, I would of thought that Mäenpää would of probably been on more money than Max as an experienced pro.

Lots of fans understandably thought it was going to be Famara after the build up the social media team gave it before the reveal.

It’s silly because this is a good piece of news concerning another young player which fans should celebrate. Tricking fans into thinking it might be Diedhiou means this O’Leary news is an anticlimax and isn’t fair on Max.

Why would they do that? Error of judgement or yet again failing to understand the support?

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Lots of fans understandably thought it was going to be Famara after the build up the social media team gave it before the reveal.

It’s silly because this is a good piece of news concerning another young player which fans should celebrate. Tricking fans into thinking it might be Diedhiou means this O’Leary news is an anticlimax and isn’t fair on Max.

Why would they do that? Error of judgement or yet again failing to understand the support?

Must have missed that. How did they suggest/trick us into thinking it might be Fam?

Controversial maybe but I think signing up Max long term is much more important to us than a new contract for a guy who for me is our 4th, maybe even 5th choice striker.

4 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Must have missed that. How did they suggest/trick us into thinking it might be Fam?

Controversial maybe but I think signing up Max long term is much more important to us than a new contract for a guy who for me is our 4th, maybe even 5th choice striker.

Did a teaser tweet before the reveal. It had a niche 90s Simpson’s reference to ‘Max Power’ (ie Max O’Leary) which would’ve gone right over the head of many people reading.

Shouldn't have bothered with the teaser because fans got the wrong idea.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Did a teaser tweet before the reveal. It had a niche 90s Simpson’s reference to ‘Max Power’ (ie Max O’Leary) which would’ve gone right over the head of many people reading.

Shouldn't have bothered with the teaser because fans got the wrong idea.

So why would that make people think it was Diedhiou?

13 hours ago, Prinny said:

Two things, one injury, suspension or a mistake & a back up keeper is in, as was shown by Bentley being dropped one game after lockdown. Max is smart, I am sure that he knows this.

Secondly your characterisation of him as a “flapper” seems incredibly harsh, he did really well in League One with Shrewsbury last season & if you want to be reminded of how good he can be, dig out the highlights of his performance for us at Villa, unbelievable.

Personally I am delighted we are getting an Academy recruit into the first team picture.

22 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

So why would that make people think it was Diedhiou?

Diedhiou is a high profile first team player who hasn't signed a contract. O'Leary doesn't have the same profile. Sending out a teaser tweet about 'contract news' is naturally going to make people think it's one of our high profile first team players - not (with all due respect) our second choice goalkeeper.

You only have to look at the replies to the teaser to see who people thought it was - Walsh was the other one. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Diedhiou is a high profile first team player who hasn't signed a contract. O'Leary doesn't have the same profile. Sending out a teaser tweet about 'contract news' is naturally going to make people think it's one of our high profile first team players - not (with all due respect) our second choice goalkeeper.

You only have to look at the replies to the teaser to see who people thought it was - Walsh was the other one. 

If I say I'm going to get a dog, it isn't my fault if people assume the wrong breed.

The people getting themselves overexcited and then disappointed have done it to themselves, that is on them.

I had a notification about the tweet yesterday but didn't look at the full thing, I had hoped it was news on either Diedhiou or Eliasson but only because they are more high profile. 

People assuming that it is Eliasson or Fam and then hyping themselves up need to not just assume everything. 

The tweet announcing the contract news came as you say with a clipped part of The Simpsons. Nothing in that clip that would make you think of any specific player. If you were one of the people who could immediately identify it as the Max Power one then surely the thoughts are for someone called Max, or someone very powerful, and while Fam has muscle that is more of a leap than someone who literally shares the same name.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

If I say I'm going to get a dog, it isn't my fault if people assume the wrong breed.

The people getting themselves overexcited and then disappointed have done it to themselves, that is on them.

I had a notification about the tweet yesterday but didn't look at the full thing, I had hoped it was news on either Diedhiou or Eliasson but only because they are more high profile. 

People assuming that it is Eliasson or Fam and then hyping themselves up need to not just assume everything. 

The tweet announcing the contract news came as you say with a clipped part of The Simpsons. Nothing in that clip that would make you think of any specific player. If you were one of the people who could immediately identify it as the Max Power one then surely the thoughts are for someone called Max, or someone very powerful, and while Fam has muscle that is more of a leap than someone who literally shares the same name.

Well obviously you'd make a point of disagreeing ?. I'm sure you understand the point really, just choosing to be contrarian as usual.

Did you read the replies to the teaser? Almost all replies predicted Diedhiou or Walsh. The club didn't necessarily do anything wrong there - just a bit unfair on O'Leary who would've been a bit of an anti-climax for most people. 

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Well obviously you'd make a point of disagreeing ?. I'm sure you understand the point really, just choosing to be contrarian as usual.

Did you read the replies to the teaser? Almost all replies predicted Diedhiou or Walsh. The club didn't necessarily do anything wrong there - just a bit unfair on O'Leary who would've been a bit of an anti-climax for most people. 

First, you need to get past your preconceptions of me, as I don't go out of my way looking for an argument. 

Yes, in the past I have been rude and/or sometimes got argumentative while debating people, but I don't go searching for it.

I'm not being contrarian, you said the club tricked people into thinking it was Fam or Eliasson. They didn't. 

Your final sentence this time perhaps makes a point. But the club didn't go and trick anyone, people tricked themselves by making assumptions and that is on them.

45 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Two things, one injury, suspension or a mistake & a back up keeper is in, as was shown by Bentley being dropped one game after lockdown. Max is smart, I am sure that he knows this.

Secondly your characterisation of him as a “flapper” seems incredibly harsh, he did really well in League One with Shrewsbury last season & if you want to be reminded of how good he can be, dig out the highlights of his performance for us at Villa, unbelievable.

Personally I am delighted we are getting an Academy recruit into the first team picture.

Agree, I don’t see Max as a flapper.  To be a flapper, imho, you’ve got to be one who comes for crosses and flaps at them.  As it stands Max isn’t one who comes for lots of crosses, so I don’t see the evidence of the “flapper” comment.

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Do watch those highlights, watch as firstly Max pushes out a shot directly to a Villa player instead of away. Then watch a stunning, fantastic point blank save of his.

Watch as he hesitates and doesn't come out, then makes a poor attempt to stop the 1st goal. Then watch as he lets a shot ricochet off him then make a good save by quickly getting back across goal into the line of fire.

Even in the game you say to watch to see how good he can be, his highlights are mixed. Not terrible, mixed. NOT UNBELIEVABLE! It is unbelievable what you said, because right there is the evidence of a mixed performance. 

I have a couple of Shrewsbury supporter friends who go regularly, and they say he was very good and in the convo for their best player alongside Pierre and Edwards over the season, and they described his weak points as his erratic dealing with crosses, command of area and actually his distribution too, which actually I thought was ok! But generally very good. So I think the narrative some people have taken that Max was this god amongst goalkeepers last year, without watching him, or even speaking to anyone who watched him, or listening to anyone who watched him who doesn't have the direct interest in playing up how he performed is a bit off. Or my mates could be off, which I can easily admit, but they some sources, rather than, no sources.

It's ideal for a lot of people to believe that Max is the real deal, it suits their narrative. All I'm saying is, I haven't seen that from him YET. I see the potential, the good and the bad. He's definitely better than Marinovic, but is he better overall than Maenpaa? Dunno. Let's hope Bentley keeps up this form and we don't have to find out.

If they were both fit and available who would you pick in a promotion deciding game tomorrow? O'Leary or Maenpaa? I'd definitely pick Maenpaa in this imaginary scenario. So that mean I think we've downgraded in quality at number 2, if improved in availability. And I believe availability is a skill.

Here's his highlights from Shrewsbury vs Tranmere. Watch as he repeatedly pushes the ball directly in front of his goal. Then watch the winner as he gets beaten by a slow rolling shot as he messes up his angles. Or was it a great finish? Was it both? What narrative are you trying to tell?

I'm not trying to make the case that he's terrible. I want him to succeed. But it's VERY easy to just look at an isolated highlights and pull what you want from them. The good and the bad. So don't just judge off of random and selective highlights.

Archived