IGNORED

Morrell and odowda call ups

The Humble Realist

1 minute ago, The Humble Realist said:

So odowda and Morrell pickup knocks and cant play for us but are both included for their countries...reminds me of the Nagy situation with Hungary last year.

Club vs country.....what's more important?

exactly why i dont like nagy. kalas was a pro in my opinion when he refused.nagy messed up his start with a new club

2 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

exactly why i dont like nagy. kalas was a pro in my opinion when he refused.nagy messed up his start with a new club

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm incorrect, but I think Nagy went on International duty with the clubs agreement and was being monitored by club physios? 

Why should he turn down international duty if everyone thinks he's okay to play? IIRC, it might have even been considered beneficial to us that he could gain match fitness with Hungary. 

Just now, sinenomine said:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm incorrect, but I think Nagy went on International duty with the clubs agreement and was being monitored by club physios? 

Why should he turn down international duty if everyone thinks he's okay to play? IIRC, it might have even been considered beneficial to us that he could gain match fitness with Hungary. 

That was my memory of one of the trips, he was to be monitored and the international game used to get him some game time.

8 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

If Nagy had just refused he would of risked not being called up again, it’s the clubs responsibility to refuse the player being called up but that usually requires the player attending anyway to have a medical done but the international staff unless it’s a ridiculously obvious injury.

The problem when Nagy was called up arose from the fact that City explained that he was injured & they agreed not to play him excessively! They then went on & played him for the whole 90 minutes if my memory is correct.

As for Morrell & O’Dowda, if either are given minutes I’d be shocked, Morrell only started training on grass yesterday & I don’t believe O’Dowda is that far along in his recovery, so if they were to then play either it would be out of order considering neither have been able to have a proper preseason as a result!

22 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

Nagy went away with Hungary with City’s blessing.  He was approaching being fit when joining up, and City saw advantages of him getting minutes / match fitness ready for his return.

That was the good part of it.

It appears that club and country medical teams were meant to be in constant liaison throughout, but LJ commented that didn’t happen.  He didn’t seem to be blaming Hungarian side wholly either.  Sounded as if our guys didn’t check-in fully either.

That was the bad part of it.

7 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

It could be a case of keeping important players for both countries being kept involved with their squads.  

Injuries can happen just as easily in training as in a game.

It's an immense privilege to represent your country.  Good luck to them both.  

Indeed.

Imagine for example Joe Morrell or Callum O’Dowda are near fitness.  Neither are likely to get a start on Saturday v Forest, both are probably unlikely to even make the bench.

Wales and Ireland have 3 matches during this break (play each other too), so a chance to get minutes under their belts is a good thing....if they are fit enough to join up.

Tomas Kalas not selected for Czech Rep.

Is that at his request?  

i have a lot to learn still i admit. i know im wrong on this too but still feel he let the club down.nagy  said on twentyman that the most important thing for him was to play for hungary.or something like that.i can live with that,  his injury initially was unlucky,making it worse wasnt.just my feelings on it,as said,i know im wrong as its been explained well to me but i just cant take to the bloke now. 

4 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

i have a lot to learn still i admit. i know im wrong on this too but still feel he let the club down.nagy  said on twentyman that the most important thing for him was to play for hungary.or something like that.i can live with that,  his injury initially was unlucky,making it worse wasnt.just my feelings on it,as said,i know im wrong as its been explained well to me but i just cant take to the bloke now. 

I think the other thing is that his English is so good, he just naturally translates stuff literally and it doesn’t always come across that well to the football fan.

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

I think the issue at the time of his call-up & the injury was that Hungary still had a fairly good chance of qualifying for what I’m guessing was the Euro’s 2020 at the time & as he is seen as one of their more important players & how much of an honour it would be to represent your country at such a prestigious tournament, they & Nagy himself really wanted him to play to give themselves the best opportunity of making it. I don’t believe either parts of that gamble ended well for Hungary or Nagy though.

4 hours ago, Red Skin said:

It could be a case of keeping important players for both countries being kept involved with their squads.  

Injuries can happen just as easily in training as in a game.

It's an immense privilege to represent your country.  Good luck to them both.  

Exactly right. Look at Afobe last season, ACL done in a training session under no pressure from anyone. Just a bad accident.

• Admin

I would imagine much of it is also to keep the players intergrated within the squad?

Team bonding etc

Isn't there a protocol that any player could get called up, and if they are injured the physios etc get together to discuss whether a player is available to play or just attend team meetings etc

To be honest, if they are up to it, it might not be a bad thing for them to get twenty minutes from the bench.  Ultimately we want them to get minutes to get sharp enough for us. Although I'm still not sure how much of a role O'Dowda is going to play, even when up to speed. Although if Holden can replicate the job he's done with some other players in terms of getting them confident and clear in their roles, he might just surprise me. 

Archived