IGNORED

Dean Holden and his Three Lions visit

Phileas Fogg

53 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

There are some people seriously outraged that a bloke has gone to the pub for a beer.

No they aren't. No one is. 

It's not hard to understand its the lack of social distancing that's the issue. Not the visit to the pub. 

33 minutes ago, Selred said:

No they aren't. No one is. 

It's not hard to understand its the lack of social distancing that's the issue. Not the visit to the pub. 

This thread only highlights that Covid is the new Brexit, people have picked their sides and can't seem to see the sense in any other opinion.

The idea of going to the pub to meet the fans is excellent and full of good intentions however as soon as it was first mooted on the 20man interview my first thought was "is this the right time?".

Once the photographs appeared on Facebook my first thought was DH could be in hot water over this, if this was a Premier League manager the press would have been all over this by now, the likes of Piers Morgan would be creaming themselves on GMB and the media scrutiny for a week or so would be pretty intense. Our low profile as a club is working to our benefit in this situation and I'm sure contact has been made with GeeMac to make sure this doesn't get any unnecessary publicity, he has been noticeably quiet this week to date.

The issue is not him going to the pub, this isn't the stereotypical young player going out up to no good in lockdown story I.e. Grealish, Walker its the naivety of it all. That being said if this was a Moore, Semenyo or Walsh and it caused an outbreak within the squad no doubt Holden and Ashton would be condemning it publicly with fines etc so the club could potentially be in a difficult position if anything comes of this.

In Holdens defence the photos show he arrived with a mask so probably had all the right intentions in terms of social distancing however as anyone who has been in pubs similar to the 3 Lions may agree after a few beers the notion of social distancing does get more and more relaxed as time goes by...its not anyones fault it just happens, human nature, effect of alcohol etc. Also as others have said if DH had gone there and been really stand off-ish and refused handshakes etc it may have had the opposite effect than the one he intended so he probably went along with it as many of us would do in his shoes.

Let's just hope that firstly nobody has been put at risk, no positive results are confirmed and all of this  slips under the radar before the dreaded "Club Statement" appears on the official site.

9 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

In Holdens defence the photos show he arrived with a mask so probably had all the right intentions in terms of social distancing however as anyone who has been in pubs similar to the 3 Lions may agree after a few beers the notion of social distancing does get more and more relaxed as time goes by...its not anyones fault it just happens, human nature, effect of alcohol etc. Also as others have said if DH had gone there and been really stand off-ish and refused handshakes etc it may have had the opposite effect than the one he intended so he probably went along with it as many of us would do in his shoes.

Good post. I think this paragraph is a very important factor. I said similar myself earlier in the thread.

Easy to say you’d have acted differently but in that situation I think it would be a tricky one to handle when everyone wants a piece of you.

Again though it brings it back to whether the timing was right - it’s pretty obvious in that environment what might happen.

12 hours ago, phantom said:

It's very evident from this thread those people that have not experienced the venue or others of the same nature, and as a result don't understand the guidelines.

I've said enough now on this topic.

Mate, the pictures are clear as day and the guidelines are quite clear too. Whoever you go to the pub with is the only people you should interact with. Certainly no one should be shaking hands, touching each other’s faces or hugging closely for photos.

Defend the gesture all you like, I think it was a great idea in principle just bad timing, but you can’t defend the actions.

I’m baffled that people don’t understand what is wrong with this, and probably explains why we’re still struggling in fighting this bloody virus. 

12 hours ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Only on OTIB could our support turn a massive positive into a negative. 

A few above could do well to educate themselves on the differences between indoor and outdoor guidelines, as it's clear those who listen to the Daily Mail headlines and those who know what they mean...

Clearly too many don't actually understand Government guidelines, but I suppose Boris was confused today so maybe we should give people some slack?

Tell me more about these guidelines I don’t understand...

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Good post. I think this paragraph is a very important factor. I said similar myself earlier in the thread.

Easy to say you’d have acted differently but in that situation I think it would be a tricky one to handle when everyone wants a piece of you.

Again though it brings it back to whether the timing was right - it’s pretty obvious in that environment what might happen.

You could argue that these reasons listed is exactly why he shouldn't have gone in the first place. Heart in the right place but his head wasn't! 

22 hours ago, !james said:

Social distancing has been in pubs since they reopened so no change there, I'm fairly sure physical contact isn't recommended and Dean Holden definitely isn't in that many support bubbles! 

Nobody was forcing you to attend, if you don’t like it then don’t put yourself in those situations.

Jesus christ, get a grip.

1 hour ago, JollyestOli said:

Nobody was forcing you to attend, if you don’t like it then don’t put yourself in those situations.

Is that the government advice? 

Ah just seen your posts on the other thread about this, you're 'one of those' types... 

Also any update on the indoor guidance that we don't understand @phantomand @Alan Dicks' Barmy Army

29 minutes ago, !james said:

Is that the government advice? 

Ah just seen your posts on the other thread about this, you're 'one of those' types... 

Also any update on the indoor guidance that we don't understand @phantomand @Alan Dicks' Barmy Army

What a sad pathetic existence you have. 

Phantom already proved what he said was correct, you just twisted it to fit your boring agenda. 

Do us all a favour and get a life, and stop believing everything you read in the Daily Mirror as fact.

Possibly time for this thread to be locked? 

13 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Phantom already proved what he said was correct, you just twisted it to fit your boring agenda. 

Do us all a favour and get a life, and stop believing everything you read in the Daily Mirror as fact.

Knew it! Lose the arguement so have a tantrum.

No one has proved anything.

??

40 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

“One of those” types? You mean somebody who isn’t going to piss years away of my life stressing over a virus that the chances are I may not even display symptoms of even if I was to catch it?

What an incredibly selfish attitude.

So you have nobody you care about who is elderly or vulnerable that you could pass it on to that wouldn't be lucky enough to display no symptoms and could well be hospitalised by it?

2 minutes ago, Gazred said:

So you have nobody you care about who is elderly or vulnerable that you could pass it on to that wouldn't be lucky enough to display no symptoms and could well be hospitalised by it?

Not so much Jollyest as SelfishestOli. Remarkable attitude to have. 

5 minutes ago, Gazred said:

I wouldn't bother. Seems there's a fair few of those types on here which isn't surprising. Not following guidelines doesn't make you some independent free thinker, anti government protest etc etc it just means you genuinely don’t care about anyone other than yourself

1 hour ago, JollyestOli said:

“One of those” types? You mean somebody who isn’t going to piss years away of my life stressing over a virus that the chances are I may not even display symptoms of even if I was to catch it?

Just realised you’re on the wind up. No one is as stupid as this. It’s not possible. 

So don't want to rehash the drama from the other post. You can argue over if putting a large amount of people in unnecessary danger, and of course endangering the success of the club on the pitch is the right thing to do there.

But, we rarely have any actual drama/stories to ask questions about. I find it very surprising Gregor didn't ask about an alleged clear breach of the social distancing regulations. With apparent clear photo evidence and the genuine danger Holden's actions could have caused/could still cause I wonder why he didn't.

On the football side of things.

He gave up no clues as to who is on the way out, who is likely to sign and where players are in terms of their fitness except that Baker is the longest away and Walsh seems to be the second furthest from action. Good professional answers.

Maybe not so good questions...

I think it's sensible. Gregor isn't there to antagonise the club and is probably sensibly picking his battles.

Fortunately the pub visit didn't ever really make the news, and if the Bristol Post gave it more air time and drew unwanted attention I suspect they might find the access they currently have under review from the club!

2 hours ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Why do people bang on and on and on saying the same things over and over and over again ?

Its just a few people on this thread, three or four at most, but its pretty obsessive stuff and I agree, they should get a life and live it and look after themselves and their own and leave everyone else to do the same without the patronising shit they spout.

I'm out and the ignore list has grown :)

45 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Gregor would be mad to ask about it.  Suicidal. He needs the club onside and I think he already mildly annoys them.  Very little to gain from asking about it 

100% agree, think the Korey Smith contract debacle put him on thin ice as it was in terms of access, suspect the club owes him one now...a couple of GeeMacGee exclusives to be expected over the next week or so.

As I said on the other thread lets hope this all blows over without any undue coverage.

7 hours ago, JollyestOli said:

Okay I won't attend the 3 Lions pub as long as you don't attend supermarkets or any shop where I'll be? 

Also if Ashton Gate opens bagsy going, so as I'll be attended socially distanced, don't put yourself in that situation where you can infect me. 

Sounds fair. 

• The title was changed to Dean Holden and his Three Lions visit
2 hours ago, Selred said:

Okay I won't attend the 3 Lions pub as long as you don't attend supermarkets or any shop where I'll be? 

Also if Ashton Gate opens bagsy going, so as I'll be attended socially distanced, don't put yourself in that situation where you can infect me. 

Sounds fair. 

If you actually have an interest in attending games at a “social distance” then I pity you mate, the joy of football is celebrating the goals with mates/family, singing, the pure elation of moments. If you take that away by having to sit 4 seats apart from each other and having to wear a mask you may as well not bother, I’d rather watch it in the pub as I have and will continue to do.

6 hours ago, JollyestOli said:

I’d rather watch it in the pub as I have and will continue to do.

You won't if City, SKY or the EFL find out as anything other than SKY broadcast matches to commercial premises holding such subscriptions are illegal.

So which pub may we join you at to watch matches?

I do agree with your sentiment re it not worth watching socially distanced football, but preventing this pandemic killing the most vulnerable is somewhat more important than what 'I like'.

7 hours ago, JollyestOli said:

If you actually have an interest in attending games at a “social distance” then I pity you mate, the joy of football is celebrating the goals with mates/family, singing, the pure elation of moments. If you take that away by having to sit 4 seats apart from each other and having to wear a mask you may as well not bother, I’d rather watch it in the pub as I have and will continue to do.

I'm a City fan. I'll take whatever I can get currently to watch them. 

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

You won't if City, SKY or the EFL find out as anything other than SKY broadcast matches to commercial premises holding such subscriptions are illegal.

So which pub may we join you at to watch matches?

I do agree with your sentiment re it not worth watching socially distanced football, but preventing this pandemic killing the most vulnerable is somewhat more important than what 'I like'.

Probably the same one that hasn't show any regard for the other guidelines ?

Archived