IGNORED

Partick Thistle v Bristol City 1977

Thistle58

Hello there, I am a lifelong Partick Thistle supporter, just turned 60 and have been revisiting my match program archives.

Amongst them, I rediscovered one last night which I thought may be of interest.

It's self-explanatory and presumably quite rare, given the likely small attendance and number of programs sold therein. 

I simply can't remember and haven't actually checked what the score was - perhaps 0-0...?

From my side... standout player in what looks a fairly competent, squad is Denis McQuade. A Firhill legend, he was tall, lanky, just always looked so awkward on the ball, yet could typically dribble past 4 or 5 players with ease, go round the keeper and....miss!

Within your own, I suspected maybe a couple of familiar players, however, Norman Hunter, Kevin Mabbutt, Gerry Sweeney and Peter Cormack in the same  was quite a surprise. Some quality there.

I have attached copies of the relevant pages and hope you might enjoy some reminiscence.

IMG_20201001_143158_resize_1.jpg

IMG_20201001_143421_resize_41.jpg

IMG_20201001_143335_resize_33.jpg

I was living in Scotland and went to the game with my old man who was working at Ashton Containers in Livingston at the time.

Score was  to 2-0 Thistle.  Having travelled all the way up there by coach, there was apparently a dressing room bust up when Kevin Mabbutt was left out of the side.  The only thing I remember about the game apart from the score was that the guy in front spent the entire 90 minutes shouting “pleasantries”  at Norman Hunter 

We won the return 3-0, thus going through on aggregate.

18 minutes ago, Malago said:

It was embarrassing being at AG that night. I believe just two dozen Thistle fans made the journey down, but the AG crowd was really quiet that night.

At one stage we could actually hear the visiting fans sing; "Bristol, Bristol give us a song"!

I was working nights at the time so couldn't go but I remember on the morning of the match probably about 9.00am being on a bus in east street and seeing a group of roughly 30 fans walking along.     Probably just come off a night from Glasgow.  Some looked a bit worse for wear so I guess they didn't all make it to the match.

11 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Interesting to see Paul Cheesley on the team sheet, must have been the time of his brief and abortive attempt to come back from the injury. Tragically his knee was having none of it ?

I was at the home leg. And I imagine @BS4 on Tour...will have something to say on this topic? 

I was thinking exactly the same as you when I looked, Cheese trying to comeback...gutting....

Also, fir the experts,  I always remember we had a bigger pitch than many, but at nearly 4m longer and wider, that’s huge in variance terms? Do pitches need to be more standard now or do you still have that flexibility? 

2 hours ago, Thistle58 said:

Hello there, I am a lifelong Partick Thistle supporter, just turned 60 and have been revisiting my match program archives.

Amongst them, I rediscovered one last night which I thought may be of interest.

It's self-explanatory and presumably quite rare, given the likely small attendance and number of programs sold therein. 

I simply can't remember and haven't actually checked what the score was - perhaps 0-0...?

From my side... standout player in what looks a fairly competent, squad is Denis McQuade. A Firhill legend, he was tall, lanky, just always looked so awkward on the ball, yet could typically dribble past 4 or 5 players with ease, go round the keeper and....miss!

Within your own, I suspected maybe a couple of familiar players, however, Norman Hunter, Kevin Mabbutt, Gerry Sweeney and Peter Cormack in the same  was quite a surprise. Some quality there.

I have attached copies of the relevant pages and hope you might enjoy some reminiscence.

IMG_20201001_143158_resize_1.jpg

IMG_20201001_143421_resize_41.jpg

IMG_20201001_143335_resize_33.jpg

Thankyou

For taking the trouble to take a photo of the pages,  and posting this on our forum.

Thoughtful

I hope you’re boys enjoy a sucessful season.

Thistle - One of my favourite club names in British Football 

2 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

So, are you looking for the programme or just telling us you found one?

Read the post. 
"Amongst them, I rediscovered one last night which I thought may be of interest."

"I have attached copies of the relevant pages and hope you might enjoy some reminiscence."

It's a great gesture from a Partick fan kind enough to post something on here that not many of us will have ever seen. Fair play to them.

3 hours ago, Thistle58 said:

From my side... standout player in what looks a fairly competent, squad is Denis McQuade.

Thanks for sharing with us. Very kind of you.

What about Alan Rough?

He must have been a decent player in that Partick side despite the criticism he got later in his career.

47 minutes ago, Red7 said:

Thanks for sharing with us. Very kind of you.

What about Alan Rough?

He must have been a decent player in that Partick side despite the criticism he got later in his career.

He was a fantastic goalkeeper. One trait which may have been related here, is he tended not to make any attempt at a save if he realised there was no point!

3 hours ago, Malago said:

I was living in Scotland and went to the game with my old man who was working at Ashton Containers in Livingston at the time.

Score was  to 2-0 Thistle.  Having travelled all the way up there by coach, there was apparently a dressing room bust up when Kevin Mabbutt was left out of the side.  The only thing I remember about the game apart from the score was that the guy in front spent the entire 90 minutes shouting “pleasantries”  at Norman Hunter 

In the OSIB “cider with” podcast with Johnathon Pearce I think he mentioned this game and this story, believe Mabbutt left the ground and got drunk in the pub over the road?

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

I hope you’re boys enjoy a sucessful season.

Thistle - One of my favourite club names in British Football 

Our curtailed league fixtures don't even start until 17th October.

Why have we dropped a division... don't get me started...

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/04/16/partick-thistle-scottish-championship-relegation-coronavirus/

I note your kind remarks re the club name and makes a pleasant change from older jibes...

'I always thought your team was called Partick Thistle Nil' .?

1 hour ago, underhanded said:

Love threads like this - no chance of anyone shoehorning Corona arguments here. I wasn't even born in 1977 but love football history, no matter how niche. Thanks for posting

I was hoping for maybe a nod in the direction of a memory.

This welcome exceeds beyond all.. 

...and look what else exists! ?

http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry-mobile.com/m/page/v+Bristol+City+(A)+ASC+1977

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Never had a favourite team in Scotland Thistle

For your little act of thoughtfulness , I think I’ve just found one

You know what... 

That might well just be reciprocal.

Slightly confused though, I thought there was only one team in Bristol.. 

3 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Interesting to see Paul Cheesley on the team sheet, must have been the time of his brief and abortive attempt to come back from the injury. Tragically his knee was having none of it ?

I was at the home leg but can remember absolutely nothing about it. And I imagine @BS4 on Tour...will have something to say on this topic? 

Cheers City Rocker - I could talk all night about the mighty Jags - when we played them in the Anglo-Scottish Cup there was a massive conflict of interest in my mind - obviously I’ve been a City fan all my life, even though the majority of my family were gas - but they were gas in an era when being a football fan was hard work - eg, my grandad drove one of the roverzzz supporter’ coaches to Newcastle when the gas played them away in the FA Cup in the 1950s - apparently it took two days to get there - pre motorways and all that. Whatever we think of them now, back then that was proper loyalty.

Anyway, back to me! For many and mostly private reasons I’ve been a Partick Thistle fan since the late 70s - some of my best football days out have been up there - Ayr United away, Dundee United away, Hibs away, Dunfermline away, Aberdeen away, C*ltic away, Rangers away, etc .... absolutely superb memories following the Harry Wraggs.

Many down here mock and ridicule Scottish football, especially @Robbored but if you went up there and got immersed in it, as I do every season, it is special ... they operate in a tiny country with a tiny population, which the ignorant ones in England fail to acknowledge, but the commitment, passion, doggedness, and pride can be seen in abundance both on and off the park in measures that could be argued are much higher than south of the border.

I’ve followed Bristol City everywhere, I’ve watched our club play in 83 away stadia, I’ve loved it and I’ve cherished it - but I’ve also loved every minute of following Partick Thistle - my God those guys n gals know how to support a team home and away ... ?

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’ve followed Bristol City everywhere, I’ve watched our club play in 83 away stadia, I’ve loved it and I’ve cherished it - but I’ve also loved every minute of following Partick Thistle - my God those guys n gals know how to support a team home and away ... ?

Wow... sometimes you are so heartfeltly reminded... why it's a beautiful game...

Archived