IGNORED

Partick Thistle v Bristol City 1977

Thistle58

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I didn’t suggest otherwise, I just said how fantastic the Jags support is ...

You most certainly did not! Indeed, you have reminded of a sketch from 'Chewin' the Fat', featuring two actors who went on to provide one of the greatest comedy TV series ever. ?

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As we have a Partick Thistle fan on the forum, can @Thistle58 explain the origin of their nickname, The Jags?

It's related to the thistle plant having a 'jaggy' protection. 

Bristol City being nicknamed the Robins... there are some lovely photos online of robins perched on a thistle. ?

On 02/10/2020 at 09:29, Leveller said:

...a Scot - scary Gerry Gow. I’d rather have faced Norman than him!

I now indeed recall Gerry Gow being a player who was perhaps seriously underated.

I came across the following which, after due consideration (anxious re posting too much and also attaching archive material), wondered if might be of interest:

"When Bill Shankley said we had a fantastic great wee player, that's all you need to know".

Richard Scudamore.

27 minutes ago, Thistle58 said:

I now indeed recall Gerry Gow being a player who was perhaps seriously underated.

I came across the following which, after due consideration (anxious re posting too much and also attaching archive material), wondered if might be of interest:

"When Bill Shankley said we had a fantastic great wee player, that's all you need to know".

Richard Scudamore.

Brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye.

Thanks for that.

1 hour ago, Thistle58 said:

the greatest comedy TV series ever

Utterly, utterly brilliant writing and performances from first to last in Still Game.

Perchance do you have a midfield enforcer akin Navid in the episode where he's subbed on and transforms the game?

Richard Scudamore.

That's a great little piece for probably my favourite City player ever, maybe along with Chris Garland.

15 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That's a great little piece for probably my favourite City player ever, maybe along with Chris Garland.

As mentioned, I am 62 now. In a previous role, I was involved with historical research and consequently anything football related is 'right down my street'!

I have thus discovered the following and hoped maybe of interest? 

Did any others from this youth side come through the ranks?

Gow v Souness... ?

IMG_20201003_103425_compress52.jpg

IMG_20201003_103448_compress15.jpg

IMG_20201003_103535_compress52.jpg

Richard Scudamore.

I once had the pleasure of sharing a few pints with Gerry Gow on a Saturday lunchtime in Portland - we talked about his way too brief international career - he got one Scotland U23 cap - but he was so proud and watching him walk out in a Scotland shirt made his Dad cry -and he said that one international game was held at Firhill - I really hope that’s true. My fave ever Bristol City player ... rest easy Gerry ...

Is it possible to pay and watch today's game live, online?

Starting with the club's official site, I've registered for everything conceivable and still confused (happening more often these days!). 

Think I might have also have registered for donations to the local Salvation Army, somehow...

25 minutes ago, Thistle58 said:

As mentioned, I am 62 now. In a previous role, I was involved with historical research and consequently anything football related is 'right down my street'!

Gow v Souness... ?

I've got that program . A few played for the first team. Cashley, Rodgers, Fear , Tom Ritchieand of course GG played plenty of times. Steve Ritchie I think only played once, Dave Bruton a few more, as far as I can see Menmuir played a couple.

6 minutes ago, Thistle58 said:

Is it possible to pay and watch today's game live, online?

Starting with the club's official site, I've registered for everything conceivable and still confused (happening more often these days!). 

Think I might have also have registered for donations to the local Salvation Army, somehow...

Go here and if you have an account set up click on watch live.

https://robinstv.bcfc.co.uk

"The Greatest Comeback Since Lazarus"

Last time I was on the forum, we had such enjoyable discussions re associations with Partick Thistle, Scottish born players and Bristol City and it was on a Saturday afternoon, I was about to sign up to watch City games online.

I suddenly felt unwell and increasingly so to the extent I had to phone an ambulance. I was struggling to breathe and expected something COVID-19 related.

Turns out it wasn't and I was experiencing extreme symptoms of, 'vitamin non-absorbsion. For some time I had required regular injections of vitamin B12, as my body would not absorb same and this had developed to the extent I was no longer absorbing essential electrolytes. 

I was essentially, as one hospital doctor explained, 'running on empty and hardly any fumes left'.

Required a 'challenging' period within the, 'Intensive Therapy Unit' (ITU), with more tubes inserted in.... and let's not go there...

Taken a while, 'getting back to full fitness' and so grateful re same.

Right then, where were we... before I left, top of the league and all looking promising...

Let's see....

....what in the name of... has happened since...?

Have been able to catch some highlights on Quest and just... like other teams... inconsistent?

I guess one question only; taking a snapshot right now, still at least realistic play-off contenders?

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Thistle58 said:

Last time I was on the forum, we had such enjoyable discussions re associations with Partick Thistle, Scottish born players and Bristol City and it was on a Saturday afternoon, I was about to sign up to watch City games online.

I suddenly felt unwell and increasingly so to the extent I had to phone an ambulance. I was struggling to breathe and expected something COVID-19 related.

Turns out it wasn't and I was experiencing extreme symptoms of, 'vitamin non-absorbsion. For some time I had required regular injections of vitamin B12, as my body would not absorb same and this had developed to the extent I was no longer absorbing essential electrolytes. 

I was essentially, as one hospital doctor explained, 'running on empty and hardly any fumes left'.

Required a 'challenging' period within the, 'Intensive Therapy Unit' (ITU), with more tubes inserted in.... and let's not go there...

Right then, where were we... before I left, top of the league and all looking promising...

Let's see....

Have been able to catch some highlights on Quest and just... like other teams... inconsistent?

I guess one question only; taking a snapshot right now, still at least realistic play-off contenders?

Blimey 

Take care of yourself 

Let's see....

Blimey - Very Best Wishes Thistle

You take care of yourself

Im keeping an eye on Thistle ? and look forward to us meeting one day in the Europa League !

57 minutes ago, Thistle58 said:

Let's see....

Glad you're a bit better, look after yourself Thistle.

As for what's happened;

I would say part injuries catching up with us, part schedule , part Managerial inexperience and part bad choices
With 2 experienced CB's out we've 2 fairly new younger lads playing every game , just signed an out of contract CB to make up the numbers.
Playing 1 genuine CMF caught p with us too, looked totally wrong firstly against a spoiling M'boro and then against 2 good sides in B'nemouth & Norwich . Our set up wasn't working and even in the 2 wins recently it looked weak. We have been told some players should be back after the break, and as long as the COVID positive tests are now clear, hopefully we may see a genuine upturn in form. 8 players out Vs Cardiff, all would have been at least in the squad, so always going to be difficult.

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I'm very surprised to hear Thistle were ever a part time outfit. I've always seen them as one of the top 14-16 teams in the country of which I thought they were all full time. At the moment I think it is only Arbroath and Alloa in the top two divisions that are part time is it not?

On a family holiday to Butlins in the late 80s a guy was selling Scottish football shirts for a fiver. My dad gave my brother and I a tenner to get one each. We both wanted the Partick away (white with red and yellow trim, very smart) but they didn't have it in my size. So I picked Falkirk. My brother gave me his when he grew out of it as I collect shirts. Still looks stylish all these years on.

On 03/10/2020 at 06:21, Thistle58 said:

Gow v Souness... ?

I remember that match... think the attendance was over 10,000 - not bad for a youth game. Keith Fear (very far right on the programme cover) looking for all the world like Steve Marriott (Small Faces era).

Archived