IGNORED

Partick Thistle v Bristol City 1977

Thistle58

1 hour ago, SydneyCity said:

Some very fond memories (the half-time pie) and not so fond memories (the football) ?

You ate the half-time pie.. and still alive to tell the tale...! ?

Memories... it was typically a small piece of 'meat', surrounded by grease, which would explode after first bite and the grease would end up all over your scarf! ?

As for the Bovril, it was scalding hot, served in a wafer thin plastic cup and you had to keep switching hands to avoid serious burns.

Happy days!

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

@Robbored but if you went up there Partick Thistle - my God those guys n gals know how to support a team home and away ... ?

I don’t rate Scottish football largely because it’s dominated by the two Glasgow clubs. Every season is a two horse race and that makes it boring.

Pretty much ever professional club south have of the border have a number of die hard fans who follow their team all over the country - it ain’t just Thistle fans............:cool2:

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t rate Scottish football largely because it’s dominated by the two Glasgow clubs. Every season is a two horse race and that makes it boring.

Pretty much ever professional club south have of the border have a number of die hard fans who follow their team all over the country - it ain’t just Thistle fans............:cool2:

Thanks for that.

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Was that the same year we beat St Mirren in the final ?

Yep, think it was.

Glos Cup, Johnson Paint, Anglo Scottish Cup, League 1 cups ..... we live the high life down here.

The envy of the footballing world our trophy cabinet. It’s so big, little wonder they’re taking so long to construct it as part of the long-awaited Club museum.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Terminally so, although with rare exceptions such as Leicester, many European leagues are dominated by a relatively small number of teams.

We soldier on, nonetheless and regardless. Optimism is our fortitude, even if it seems like chasing ...?

Myself and five mates travelled up for this game.

This was the decade when a group of us used to go to most away games, usually we would hire a Gullivers mini bus. But as there were only six this time we hired a Cortina Mk2.

We got to Glasgow mid/late afternoon and as usual (pre sat nav, and without a map) we did what we normally did and headed for where we thought the ground might and asked. Only to be told that Thistle had not played in Partick for decades, and we should head for Maryhill.

This was a time that Glasgow was being redeveloped, and I can remember a lot of grim looking tenaments being demolished.

We found a bar for a drink, I say bar it was more like someones converted front room.

Apart from the score I can't remember a lot about the game. I believe we were the only City supporters in the ground.

We got back to Bristol about 6am just in time for a shower, change of clothes and off to work.

I still boast that I was at City's first competative game outside England ( I stand to be corrected, Welsh Cup?)

As regards the final, we went to Tiffs (shows age) after the game, and all the player were there celebrating.

10 hours ago, phantom said:

Just noticed someone in Norwich is selling a copy of the return leg of the 1977 game 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bristol-City-v-Partick-Thistle-27-9-1977-Anglo-Scottish-Cup-Quarter-Final-2-Leg-/264788021047

Screenshot_20201001-222801_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20201001-222803_Samsung Internet.jpg

I am just wondering if this is the programme that I sold in  Norwich twenty odd years ago. 

I sold all my football and music memorabilia, records etc before taking off and traveling around the world.

The other, more interesting, point is how strong that line up was for a Mickey Mouse cup. 

In those days there were more league matches plus replays in the cup .

Also We were strong at Ashton Gate but we didn’t travel very well. 

16 hours ago, Thistle58 said:

Hello there, I am a lifelong Partick Thistle supporter, just turned 60 and have been revisiting my match program archives.

Amongst them, I rediscovered one last night which I thought may be of interest.

It's self-explanatory and presumably quite rare, given the likely small attendance and number of programs sold therein. 

I simply can't remember and haven't actually checked what the score was - perhaps 0-0...?

From my side... standout player in what looks a fairly competent, squad is Denis McQuade. A Firhill legend, he was tall, lanky, just always looked so awkward on the ball, yet could typically dribble past 4 or 5 players with ease, go round the keeper and....miss!

Within your own, I suspected maybe a couple of familiar players, however, Norman Hunter, Kevin Mabbutt, Gerry Sweeney and Peter Cormack in the same  was quite a surprise. Some quality there.

I have attached copies of the relevant pages and hope you might enjoy some reminiscence.

IMG_20201001_143158_resize_1.jpg

IMG_20201001_143421_resize_41.jpg

IMG_20201001_143335_resize_33.jpg

You forgot to highlight one of our best players - and a Scot - scary Gerry Gow. I’d rather have faced Norman than him!

10 minutes ago, Leveller said:

You forgot to highlight one of our best players - and a Scot - scary Gerry Gow. I’d rather have faced Norman than him!

Related, there are a couple of further pages from the match program which may be of interest and hopefully attached. Both images are compressed to significantly reduce file size, however, they should be legible.

IMG_20201002_093423_compress97.jpg

IMG_20201002_093458_compress80.jpg

3 minutes ago, Thistle58 said:

Related, there are a couple of further pages from the match program which may be of interest and hopefully attached. Both images are compressed to significantly reduce file size, however, they should be legible.

IMG_20201002_093423_compress97.jpg

IMG_20201002_093458_compress80.jpg

This highlights the curious makeup of our squad at the time - seven Scots and seven locals (born Bristol or nearby)!

22 minutes ago, Leveller said:

You forgot to highlight one of our best players - and a Scot - scary Gerry Gow.

Gerry Gow, I note was born in the bandit badlands known as Drumchapel... 'nuff said.

Except, I didn't realise he had passed on.

The following link is to an obituary from the Scotsman newspaper, I would like to share.

This is an extract:

"Gow introduced himself to the 17-year-old Redfearn thus, in his gruff Glaswegian tones: “Son, Ah’m gonnae brek your ****ing leg.” Somewhat put-out, Redfearn asked the advice of an older teammate, who told him, “Just ignore him, he doesn’t mean it”. Only for Gow to return and assure Redfearn: “Aye son, Ah did ****ing mean it”. Redfearn made sure not to go near Gow again, just in case".

https://www.scotsman.com/news/obituary-gerry-gow-footballer-1464698

Years later I was at some corporate/social bash with Partick legend John Hansen (brother of Alan of course), and I reminded him of these cup ties, as well as the comments of the Hibs chairman about our 'battling' team.

"Aye, f# king butchers!" he agreed (many single malts had been taken at this stage of the evening). 

A final upload on this topic

It's a screenshot of the Anglo Scottish cup program from 5 August 1978, when a 6-1 spanking was handed out.

Given the source of this screenshot, it's perhaps somewhat bizarre the triumphant program cover, never mind the 6-1 thrashing, features among their fans memorabilia.

Cue theme from 'The Twilight Zone'?

Screenshot_20201002_104815_compress32.jpg

58 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Years later I was at some corporate/social bash with Partick legend John Hansen (brother of Alan of course)... 

I have a copy of Alan Hansen's (Thistle Legend) biography.

John's football career was beset with injuries and Alan emphasis that if not for same, John was by far the superior footballer.

5 hours ago, johnjohnjohngalley said:

This was the decade when a group of us used to go to most away games, usually we would hire a Gullivers mini bus. But as there were only six this time we hired a Cortina Mk2.

We got to Glasgow mid/late afternoon and as usual (pre sat nav, and without a map) we did what we normally did and headed for where we thought the ground might and asked. Only to be told that Thistle had not played in Partick for decades, and we should head for Maryhill.

This was a time that Glasgow was being redeveloped, and I can remember a lot of grim looking tenaments being demolished.

We found a bar for a drink, I say bar it was more like someones converted front room.

Apart from the score I can't remember a lot about the game. I believe we were the only City supporters in the ground.

We got back to Bristol about 6am just in time for a shower, change of clothes and off to work.

I still boast that I was at City's first competative game outside England ( I stand to be corrected, Welsh Cup?)

As regards the final, we went to Tiffs (shows age) after the game, and all the player were there celebrating.

Actually I think City played a game in the Isle of Man Cup against the home side. As it was considered an international game of sorts the Isle of Man insisted on having their flag embedded into the pitch. If I recall correctly, the game was played over three legs.

2 hours ago, Thistle58 said:

I have a copy of Alan Hansen's biography.

I think I remember him telling a story in the foreword of: “Red and Yellow Forever” where, after a series of bad results, the manager at the time picked the squad early and got them out on the pitch to practice the formation against no opposition. At half time it was still nil-nil ?

20 hours ago, Thistle58 said:

No such match program exists... 

I thought it was possibly quite rare... ?

I have a letter from Partick telling me that one wasn`t produced. I was an avid BCFC programme collector back in the day and wrote to your club asking them if they had one and they were kind enough to reply.

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

Very strange ‘edit’ of my post too Rob - weird ...

For those of a certain vintage Scottish Football was Sam Leitch (who'd ever have guessed he came from Norfolk) and exotic names of far flung clubs first emerging on the Teleprinter on a Saturday afternoon. No idea where the places were, as much chance of ever visiting as going to Timbuktu or Botafogo. Never understood why Scottish results were tied up long before English results trickled through.

In my case my Scottish team were the majestically named Queen Of The South. I've followed the Doonhamers results ever since. Attended Palmerston Park but the once - ****hole, drab parks standard football.  I realised my Scottish childhood obsession was akin the lifetime infirmity afflicting those Bristolians who, for whatever reason, made the wrong choice. I pity them not, preffering instead to focus that however bad City are, there are those worse off.

I attended the home leg the year we won the ASC and have in my mind it ****ed down. As an Open End lad all I recall is there were few there and I got soaked through.  Does that ring a bell?

18 hours ago, Thistle58 said:

Wow... sometimes you are so heartfeltly reminded... why it's a beautiful game...

Legendary Jags manager Dick Campbell used to pick me up from Glasgow Airport whenever I came up for a game (due to mutual acquaintances) and he’d cheerfully tell me the starting eleven as we were driving to Firhill - he is a top bloke, an absolute diamond - and every time he said the same thing: “The trouble with Partick Thistle fans is that they think we are the third biggest club in Scotland ... “ with a glint in his eye! I love Dick Campbell, I know he hasn’t been too well, wish him all the best ...

14 hours ago, johnjohnjohngalley said:

I did the same for the first leg against St. Mirren, played in Paisley where I was introduced to haggis and chips.

We spent some time in a run down pub close to the ground before going in to the St. Mirren supporters club bar - where we were treated like royalty and bought drinks non-stop both before and after the game.

As we have a Partick Thistle fan on the forum, can @Thistle58 explain the origin of their nickname, The Jags?

Archived