IGNORED

Vyner’s new contract

Tipps69

3 minutes ago, Prinny said:

This is good to lock down a home grown player and current starter but definite squad member going forwards.

Do people think he has premier league potential? Physically he seems to. Height/speed?

Do you think he'll retain his place when Kalas is back?

No. I don’t. Just said on the other thread I’m yet to be fully convinced, definitely not +3yrs convinced anyway. 

I wish him all the best tho. 

Just now, Fordy62 said:

No. I don’t. Just said on the other thread I’m yet to be fully convinced, definitely not +3yrs convinced anyway. 

It'll be interesting to see if Moore gets a 4 year deal and if this one is 3+1 or just a straight 3 to see how the club views him.

I'm not sure you could get Vyner to sign a 2 year deal or you'd want to. If he plays incredibly you have at least two more years with a three, and if he's like a championship squad player standard (which I think is what he's shown so far) then it's not too long left if you want to move him.

13 minutes ago, Prinny said:

This is good to lock down a home grown player and current starter but definite squad member going forwards.

Do people think he has premier league potential? Physically he seems to. Height/speed?

Do you think he'll retain his place when Kalas is back?

For me, this is his first real opportunity to play consistently at this level in his career & there’s no knowing at the moment how quickly he will progress. Better players around him could bring him on leaps & bounds & no one knows how far he can go.

As you’ve stated, he has all the physical attributes that are required & some players develop quicker than others (comparing him to Lloyd Kelly) but they are fairly similar players in stature so who’s to say that Vyner can’t go on & forge himself a very good career?

18 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I wasn't, even at the end of last season, but to fair, so far this season he's been very good and looks like he's improving into a player I didn't think he had it in him to be. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not massively convinced by Vyner but have a feeling he has a lot of scope to improve. Instinctively he seems to lack a bit of confidence so maybe this’ll give him a boost.

Sorry, what does “instinctively he seems to lack a bit of confidence”?  Is that your instinct or his?  One thing I know about Zak is that he has belief in his own ability, and that has carried him through when he was being messed around by Lee (the Aberdeen loan was very unexpected...).

21 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sorry, what does “instinctively he seems to lack a bit of confidence”?  Is that your instinct or his?  One thing I know about Zak is that he has belief in his own ability, and that has carried him through when he was being messed around by Lee (the Aberdeen loan was very unexpected...).

Mine, in the past it felt like he needs another leader alongside him in defence otherwise he’s a bit of a rabbit in headlights. That’s normal for a young player though so not necessarily a huge issue.

15 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Perfectly competent for this level.

Fantastic that our academy can produce players you can compete in the championship.

I want our academy to produce players for our team. It's all well and good selling the likes of Reid, Bryan and Kelly to Prem/top Champ teams, but surely the main aim is to have players for us, and for now. I'm really happy that we've produced a player who seems to be good enough for our current level, but not so good that bloody Aston Villa or Brighton are going to chuck us £10m in January and whisk him off to warm their bench. Same applies to Max, and even somewhat to Moore.

I am agreeing with you btw.

3 hours ago, Prinny said:

It'll be interesting to see if Moore gets a 4 year deal and if this one is 3+1 or just a straight 3 to see how the club views him.

I'm not sure you could get Vyner to sign a 2 year deal or you'd want to. If he plays incredibly you have at least two more years with a three, and if he's like a championship squad player standard (which I think is what he's shown so far) then it's not too long left if you want to move him.

City usually announce the “plus 1” these days, so it’s absence leads me to think it’s just a straight 3 year deal.  That’s what it goes into the spreadsheet as anyway!

As for his ability, he’s done better than my expectations since getting into the team at the end of last season.  Still got things to learn, but he’s 23 and nowhere near peak years yet (At the same age, Flint was still at Swindon Town).  For me he needs to improve 1) his body positioning defensively as he can get turned quite easily when back-pedalling and 2) he physicality aerially - needs to get us earlier and lean in more.

I think RCB in a three is a good position for him at this stage of his development.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

City usually announce the “plus 1” these days, so it’s absence leads me to think it’s just a straight 3 year deal.  That’s what it goes into the spreadsheet as anyway!

As for his ability, he’s done better than my expectations since getting into the team at the end of last season.  Still got things to learn, but he’s 23 and nowhere near peak years yet (At the same age, Flint was still at Swindon Town).  For me he needs to improve 1) his body positioning defensively as he can get turned quite easily when back-pedalling and 2) he physicality aerially - needs to get us earlier and lean in more.

I think RCB in a three is a good position for him at this stage of his development.

It took us 2 years to find out Walsh's +1 so I'll wait until a confirmation! I assumed that Walsh's was +1 when he signed because of the amount of money spent/age of player but they never said.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Mine, in the past it felt like he needs another leader alongside him in defence otherwise he’s a bit of a rabbit in headlights. That’s normal for a young player though so not necessarily a huge issue.

I agree with both of these as to what I see in him. He's like 3/4th choice CB to me when Kalas is back fit. And I think we should always be looking to improve the weakest starter. At the moment I put him on the same squad level as Tommy Rowe, happy to have him in the squad/team in the right position at the right price. But because of his age and potential the improvement I want from that starting position could realistically come from him getting better even over the course of a run of games this season. And he's homegrown and versatile which is a solution for many years in that regard.

14 minutes ago, Prinny said:

It took us 2 years to find out Walsh's +1 so I'll wait until a confirmation! I assumed that Walsh's was +1 when he signed because of the amount of money spent/age of player but they never said.

That’s why I said “these days”.

Archived