IGNORED

The joy of football grounds

Jerseybean

The article took me on a trip down memory lane and the stadium that had biggest wow factor on me was Hillsborough. The first time I saw it from outside wasn’t particularly impressive but once on the inside it took my breath away - it was sooo.  :shocking:  big!

The only other stadium that had had the effect on me was the old Wembley back in the late 60s.

45 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The only other stadium that had had the effect on me was the old Wembley back in the late 60s.

Yep old Wembley for me, remember walking up the steps behind the goal for the very first time and the sheer size of it having seen it so many times on TV made me stop and catch my breath.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The article took me on a trip down memory lane and the stadium that had biggest wow factor on me was Hillsborough. The first time I saw it from outside wasn’t particularly impressive but once on the inside it took my breath away - it was sooo.  :shocking:  big!

After having only been to AG, Eastville, and Dean Court, the same feeling overtook me when I emerged into the vast arena that was White Heart Lane (in 67 for our 5th round cup tie) !

Wolves Molineux for me was the first ground to impress, FA Cup early 70’s. 

Their end - shared at the time - was friggin massive.

On MOTD it appeared an open end, but it was so big the cameras never picked up the roof at the back. While the stand was finished in nice, fresh gold and black paint, can remember our Knowle West ‘street artists’ had redecorated in red by the start of the match. 

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

Wolves Molineux for me was the first ground to impress, FA Cup early 70’s. 

Their end - shared at the time - was friggin massive.

On MOTD it appeared an open end, but it was so big the cameras never picked up the roof at the back. While the stand was finished in nice, fresh gold and black paint, can remember our Knowle West ‘street artists’ had redecorated in red by the start of the match. 

Actually, "their end " was the North Bank opposite, a lot smaller, but easier to defend !

An odd one perhaps but the one that sticks in my mind is The Valley. To my knowledge it's the only stadium where as an away fan you enter at the top of the stand. Perhaps not the very top, but certainly half way up. The entrance from the road is so modest, just a small ticket office, a bar, and the usual shoddy toilet block. Then you walk in and the pitch is laid out in front of you. Arrive late with a healthy away following and you're instantly in the midst of a crowd. An experience I cannot recall being replicated at any other ground.

A bit closer to home...…..I went to AG for the match with Crewe to stand for the last time in the EE and did not go to AG again until the whole ground redevelopment was completed.

I got to the ground early and walked up the steps in Dolman to get a view before it got crowded and I was blown away both by the complete change and the quality of it.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

An odd one perhaps but the one that sticks in my mind is The Valley. To my knowledge it's the only stadium where as an away fan you enter at the top of the stand. Perhaps not the very top, but certainly half way up. The entrance from the road is so modest, just a small ticket office, a bar, and the usual shoddy toilet block. Then you walk in and the pitch is laid out in front of you. Arrive late with a healthy away following and you're instantly in the midst of a crowd. An experience I cannot recall being replicated at any other ground.

Molineux terracing you had to enter at the top of the stand and work your way down.

10 hours ago, Clevedon Red said:

Yep old Wembley for me, remember walking up the steps behind the goal for the very first time and the sheer size of it having seen it so many times on TV made me stop and catch my breath.

See, I was the opposite. As a schoolboy in the mid 70s we went on a trip to Wembley for a schoolboy international. Sat at the front , on benches I think, I couldn't believe it was the real Wembley as it looked so small. The cameras always seem to make stadiums look bigger than they are. The Nou Camp however......different story.

Went to old Trafford in 2005 for an England friendly, and at the time was the first time I had been inside a stadium. The size of the place is impressive.

But love walking up the steps from the Dolman concourse, first seeing the lights then the view down into the pitch.

The first time i went to old trafford, i reckon was about 1990.

There was a badge seller near lou macaris chippy, and natrually, i went for the city badge.

What are you the man on the moon son he said?

Eh i said ?

Ive had this badge since 1977 he said.

Id allready given him the money, so i had to take that 1 on the chin.

Archived