IGNORED

Nottingham Forest (a) - Sat 15:00 - What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

22 hours ago, Robin101 said:

Would we be happy with a point to continue the good start, or would that represent a missed opportunity for 12/12?

Personally wouldn’t be too unhappy with a point.

On that note, do we think Holden’s insistence that we’re out to win every game is just good PR? Or do we really think we are?  

Nothing I've heard suggests D.H. is anything but sincere.

However, this doesn't exclude starting the match to win, having to reassess as the match progresses, and settling for a draw.

Well that was a test wasn’t it!

The two things that stood out for me were:

1. trying to play out wide when Forest had two players on each wing (Full back and wide forward)
  2. Grabban dictating the press

Re 1. We never got our WBs forward today in good passages of possession after we went 2-0 up.  Forest started to make us go inside where Weimann and Paterson had to take a lot of passes under pressure / challenge.  We turned the ball over a fair bit meaning Forest were breaking on us.

Re 2. Early on Arter tried to press the CBs and got played around, taking him and Freeman out of the game.  We worked it really well until our second goal.  I’m not sure if Grabban actually said anything to Arter after that, but it was noticeable that he didn’t over commit himself to closing down our CBs, but he then got about our midfielders.  Coupled with 1 with their being little room wide, we played into Forest’s hands by trying to pass into congested areas.

My OP talked about the Lamouchi press condensing one half of the pitch.  Today, and maybe because we played 352, they made us come central.

Thought Ioannou looked really good.

....And Freeman was a threat from open play, I didn’t see that right foot swinger coming!! ?

Archived