IGNORED

Coventry v Bournemouth tonight

bcfc01

Bournemouth winning 3-1 at the moment and worthy of it as well, although its hard to tell how good they are as they are against a lesser team.

The player that Coventry took off after a final warning from the ref when we played them, Hamer, has been sent off for slapping a player around the chops. Good player but absolutely no discipline.

Bournemouth looking good, Coventry not so good - they'll be around the bottom six this season imo and I think we'd win more comfortably if we played them now.

16 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Bournemouth winning 3-1 at the moment and worthy of it as well, although its hard to tell how good they are as they are against a lesser team.

The player that Coventry took off after a final warning from the ref when we played them, Hamer, has been sent off for slapping a player around the chops. Good player but absolutely no discipline.

Bournemouth looking good, Coventry not so good - they'll be around the bottom six this season imo and I think we'd win more comfortably if we played them now.

Petulant from Hamer but as per usual the rataliator bears the brunt of the punishment. Cook was manhandling him and I can only think his beard must be hiding a weak chin as a 3 year old could have slapped him harder. 

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Petulant from Hamer but as per usual the rataliator bears the brunt of the punishment. Cook was manhandling him and I can only think his beard must be hiding a weak chin as a 3 year old could have slapped him harder. 

The ref missed the first bit of action (probably be picked up post match), but Hamer appears to be easily wound up - he needs to cut it out as he's a very good footballer but will spend weeks out of the side if he collects cards on a game by game basis. Other teams will have noted it and will wind him up.

18 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I said in the thread about Mark Robins complaining about our players that he'd see red sometime this season - didn't expect it that soon ?

He looked like a good player - but I think with the stuff Robins said around our game with them, and him now getting sent off any manager of future opposition will be telling their midfielder's to niggle him as much as possible. Cards marked? Alfredo Morelos mk II?

33 minutes ago, cityal said:

I said in the thread about Mark Robins complaining about our players that he'd see red sometime this season - didn't expect it that soon ?

He looked like a good player - but I think with the stuff Robins said around our game with them, and him now getting sent off any manager of future opposition will be telling their midfielder's to niggle him as much as possible. Cards marked? Alfredo Morelos mk II?

I think Robins got annoyed that we paid attention and got on wind up duty. and now other teams have seen it. And now Robins has a serious problem, that everyone knows how to target one of his best players. And that player who looks instrumental to their success, is a walking red card.

Ah the mental side of the game.

9 hours ago, Prinny said:

I think Robins got annoyed that we paid attention and got on wind up duty. and now other teams have seen it. And now Robins has a serious problem, that everyone knows how to target one of his best players. And that player who looks instrumental to their success, is a walking red card.

Ah the mental side of the game.

Coventry didn’t pay attention to the old ADN .

10 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Bit of both I think.

Although piss poor is a bit harsh on Coventry.

If Coventry perform  like they did last night every game then they’re in for a long season. I really did think they were very poor and were completely outplayed by B’muff - who did look a half decent side on that showing.

57 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If Coventry perform  like they did last night every game then they’re in for a long season. I really did think they were very poor and were completely outplayed by B’muff - who did look a half decent side on that showing.

I’ve only watched the first hour, still 2-1 at the mo.

When you step up a level, so does the intelligence of the opposition and their tactics.

I said in my Coventry preview they are going to need to learn how to play without the ball.  In Lg1 they were top 5 for possession, so spent less time chasing it.  Couple that with being good at playing from the back, it was no surprise they won the league.

However, look at how Bournemouth pressed their back 3 last night....they couldn’t secure possession and kept giving it away or trying to hit Godden.  For a 10 minute spell in the first half (when they equalised) they finally secured decent possession.

The same happened against QPR, who could’ve been 2 or 3 up before Coventry finally started to play.  QPR weren’t a good enough side to sustain it, hence they ended up losing.

The only difference in our game was our ineffective press between Diedhiou and Wells.  Cov’s back 3 played around it with ease, and got into our midfield too often.  It wasn’t just Bakinson coming on after 56m, but Diedhiou coming off (for Martin) that helped.  We dominated much of the second half as a result.

Every manager now knows that if you high press them and do it successfully then you’re halfway to winning the game.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve only watched the first hour, still 2-1 at the mo.

When you step up a level, so does the intelligence of the opposition and their tactics.

I said in my Coventry preview they are going to need to learn how to play without the ball.  In Lg1 they were top 5 for possession, so spent less time chasing it.  Couple that with being good at playing from the back, it was no surprise they won the league.

However, look at how Bournemouth pressed their back 3 last night....they couldn’t secure possession and kept giving it away or trying to hit Godden.  For a 10 minute spell in the first half (when they equalised) they finally secured decent possession.

The same happened against QPR, who could’ve been 2 or 3 up before Coventry finally started to play.  QPR weren’t a good enough side to sustain it, hence they ended up losing.

The only difference in our game was our ineffective press between Diedhiou and Wells.  Cov’s back 3 played around it with ease, and got into our midfield too often.  It wasn’t just Bakinson coming on after 56m, but Diedhiou coming off (for Martin) that helped.  We dominated much of the second half as a result.

Every manager now knows that if you high press them and do it successfully then you’re halfway to winning the game.

To me Coventry looked light in midfield without Walsh and B’muff dominated the engine room and ended up winning the game comfortably. 

Bearing in mind tho that last season Coventry were L1 and B’muff in the PL  its understandable that there was a clear gulf between them. Mark Robins inexperience at Championship level wouldn’t have helped either but it’s very early in the campaign and Robins and his squad will need to improve pretty quickly if they’re hoping to stay in the Championship.

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

To me Coventry looked light in midfield without Walsh and B’muff dominated the engine room and ended up winning the game comfortably. 

Bearing in mind tho that last season Coventry were L1 and B’muff in the PL  its understandable that there was a clear gulf between them. Mark Robins inexperience at Championship level wouldn’t have helped either but it’s very early in the campaign and Robins and his squad will need to improve pretty quickly if they’re hoping to stay in the Championship.

For me this is exactly why I’m reserving judgement on Liam Walsh.

Gustavo Hamer is Walsh’s direct replacement and has earned plaudits from the pros so far this season (just seen his red card, so will be getting negative reviews after this). If anything he may be better than Walsh.  Based on showings so far they are very similar players (good recruitment) so my gut feel is that Coventry would be no stronger with Walsh in there instead of Hamer.

It shows the gulf in class between Lg1 and the top end of the Champ.

The good thing for Walsh is that City are better than Cov, so he will have a better opportunity to shine in our midfield than Cov’s.

Will be interesting to see if many on here are getting carried away with their hopes for Walsh, if he can perform at Championship level as apposed to a team that was dominating others sides in a league below, he will be against much better defenders with less time on the ball and having to do much more work off the ball. He looks like he has some quality and hope we can see it soon.

Archived