IGNORED

Nottingham Forest v Bristol City Match Day 4

Very good win that, although Forest will wonder how they haven't got at least a point.

Bentley - 10 - top class saves and in that Premier League form that he is capable of.

Hunt - 7 - hard working, shots and crosses blocked and got forward too.

Vyner - 5 - poor first half, not switched on.

Moore - 6 - didn't show the class on the ball or defensive heroics that he's capable of this time.

Mawson - 7 - the best of the defenders

Rowe - 6 - quiet in forward positions but had a tough defensive assignment and was quietly solid.

Bakinson - 7 - not great throughout but was heavily involved from start to finish and didn't get much defensive support in the midfield.

Paterson - 6 - tidy and busy in the Forest half.

Weimann - 9 - very involved in attack, very good finish for the goal, and tireless near the end.

Martin - 8 - two assists, good link up play

Wells - 7 - good goal, some good play coming deep.

Subs - Semenyo got involved and a good shot on goal.

Holden - got them fired up, got them focussed at HT, subs were spot on

51 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Bristol City F.C. in 1927

COYR

1927 team

Billy (fatty) Wedlock with the ball. They were probably on half a crown a week back then with 6d win bonus. Plus, they played with a ball that weighed a ton, and on mud most of the time.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Very good win that, although Forest will wonder how they haven't got at least a point.

Bentley - 10 - top class saves and in that Premier League form that he is capable of.

Hunt - 7 - hard working, shots and crosses blocked and got forward too.

Vyner - 5 - poor first half, not switched on.

Moore - 6 - didn't show the class on the ball or defensive heroics that he's capable of this time.

Mawson - 7 - the best of the defenders

Rowe - 6 - quiet in forward positions but had a tough defensive assignment and was quietly solid.

Bakinson - 7 - not great throughout but was heavily involved from start to finish and didn't get much defensive support in the midfield.

Paterson - 6 - tidy and busy in the Forest half.

Weimann - 9 - very involved in attack, very good finish for the goal, and tireless near the end.

Martin - 8 - two assists, good link up play

Wells - 7 - good goal, some good play coming deep.

Subs - Semenyo got involved and a good shot on goal.

Holden - got them fired up, got them focussed at HT, subs were spot on

Not much to argue with there Mozo.  Thought Vyner came back really strong, and I’d give him a 6.  Rowe I thought was so solid and used the ball well too....might squeeze a 7.  Bakinson overplayed a bit and I’d knock him down to a 6.  Weimann probably a 7 for me...went quiet for the first 20 of the second half.

But it’s all in the right ballpark.

Don’t know if it’s been said elsewhere but I was wondering how much a lack of a crowd is changing results.  At 2-1 we were hanging on for most of the second half.  Would a big home crowd getting on the refs back, wishing the ball into the net had made us even more nervous and lead to an equaliser?  Equally at 2-0 down with a home crowd at the end of their tether would Forest have collapsed With us going on to a convincing away win.  Away days must be less intimidating now as players have a chance to play through  a few bad touches without being hammered  by 30,000 fans.

7 hours ago, CiderHeadDan said:

I find it hard to disagree with that. Best goalkeeping performance since Jack Butland for Stoke vs us at home/ Max's game against Villa. I'd even say Bentleys performance today topped those performances.

I’d say Max’s performance was better overall as he had to make more saves but the quality of Bents’ two main saves was better 

This was a Charity match, and I've got no doubt it probably came from 1927. I've seen this photo before. Wedlock played in charity "old boys" matches (usually against the Bristol Police, or opponents of that sort) - right the way through the 1920's. The last recorded match I have for Wedlock playing on such occasions is the year 1930. Wedlock is a little over-weight in that photo, hence the year.

On 03/10/2020 at 19:35, Cider_boy said:

Looks like the current team would run rings around them, but if they got too close would be absolutely kicked off the park - different game back then!

This was a Charity match, and I've got no doubt it probably came from 1927. I've seen this photo before. Wedlock played in charity "old boys" matches (usually against the Bristol Police, or opponents of that sort) - right the way through the 1920's. The last recorded match I have for Wedlock playing on such occasions is the year 1930. Wedlock is a little over-weight in that photo, hence the year. All the team are veterans. Old Pro's.

On 04/10/2020 at 08:02, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sorry mate but I don’t think that can be the 1927 team, as Billy Wedlock played his last game in 1921.

This was a Charity match, and I've got no doubt it probably came from 1927. I've seen this photo before. Wedlock played in charity "old boys" matches (usually against the Bristol Police, or opponents of that sort) - right the way through the 1920's. The last recorded match I have for Wedlock playing on such occasions is the year 1930. Wedlock is a little over-weight in that photo, hence the year. All the team are veterans. Old Pro's.

On 04/10/2020 at 08:02, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sorry mate but I don’t think that can be the 1927 team, as Billy Wedlock played his last game in 1921.

16 minutes ago, Tricky Woo said:

Good points Tricky Woo, but you're repeating yourself.

Time Mrs. Pumphrey gave you some Beef Wellington and Trifle to calm you down a bit. ?

Archived