IGNORED

The Daniel Bentley thread

Fordy62

He won us three points today. 

I thought a few people were unfairly on his back at the end of last season, yes I accept he has the odd blunder in him, but performances like today show that he’s a top keeper in this league and we’ll do well to remember that all season.

He well and truly earned his corn today. Some absolutely fantastic saves. 

Take a bow Bents. 

5 minutes ago, tin said:

Couldn’t agree more with @Fordy62. Bentley won us the three points today. Without his display, we’d have lost that IMO. The fact only a worldie from Freeman got past him speaks volumes.

Was about to say the same, an outrageous strike from Freeman was the only way they were getting past Bentley today. As Ally McCoist just put it, "inspired". 

Athletically he reminds me of Basso, his reach is outstanding as well! As you said he can have a run of bad form but jesus, on his day the best keeper in the league for me. If he was better in the air he would have been in the prem a long time ago.  (I also see similarities to Kasper Schmeichel, another top keeper). 

14 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I thought a few people were unfairly on his back at the end of last season, yes I accept he has the odd blunder in him, but performances like today show that he’s a top keeper in this league and we’ll do well to remember that all season.

Take a bow Bents. 

Not sure people were unfairly on his back - he had a really poor run and his confidence was shot.

But, on the subject of confidence, it just goes to show how important it is, right? He was absolutely immense today and has looked solid all season.

Dean Holden strikes me as the sort of boss who'd give plenty of it to the people around him, so hopefully that bodes well.

7 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Will all those posters saying he's not good enough (and definitely not as good as Nikki) last season admit they were wrong?

He clearly is a player who thrives when he's confident - we were lucky to get him.

They won’t because it will take one mistake to say “told you so”

36 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Take a bow Bents. 

Great performance from Bentley, but sorry to be pedantic he ensured we kept our 3 points today having worked hard to be in front. Unless he does a Cashley keepers can't win you games, it takes goals to do that. 

30 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Excellent keeper. Was for most of last season too but a couple of poor performances was enough to convince some that he wasn't up to it and should be sold.

⏬⏬⏬

29 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Will all those posters saying he's not good enough (and definitely not as good as Nikki) last season admit they were wrong?

He clearly is a player who thrives when he's confident - we were lucky to get him.

⏬⏬⏬

28 minutes ago, Prinny said:

He started last season the exact same. Then fell of a cliff form wise.

Amazing today.

Keep it up though.

Good keeper.  Has dips in form, and when he's on one it can be costly.  But on his day, earns you points.

Been very good this season so far.

For me Maenpaa was just so solid, and when Bentley's form suffered I would rather have had Niki in goal.  My other positives of Maenpaa were command of his area.

Today, Bentley came and made two really good punches.

Long may his form continue.

45 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Take a bow Bents. 

Every keeper got a blunder in them apart from the very best. He’s a very good keeper at this level 

IMHO

He’s a match winner and as talented a keeper as I’ve seen in half a century at AG

He’s capable of point winning saves that many good keepers couldn’t make 

If he can keep decent consistency and not led the odd error ruffle him he’s got the potential to play in Premier League and a International Squad consideration

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Take a bow Bents. 

"Take that horse back to the stable... and give him a kiss!"

Fordy, I don't think it's a case of Bentley has the odd blunder in him, I think he's a confidence player. When he feels good, he's capable of Premier league quality goalkeeping, but he also can go on a run of form where he can't get in the zone and becomes wayward.

I think the coaches have to keep on top of that.

Archived