IGNORED

Andi Wiemann

sglosbcfc

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

‘Don’t’ vs ‘Didn’t’ ? Fair enough, you want to dismiss every good player from the recent past who didn’t just “run around a lot” - football did exist before 1992 - just saying .... ??

I’m not dismissing anyone. The thread is about one of our current players and what he currently brings to the team. Not talking about the past. 

10 hours ago, reddoh said:

good players don't need to run around they just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

At the risk of repeating myself and becoming boring - not many nowadays though. Football has moved on since Matt le tissier etc we’re playing.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. Tactics are such a big thing now and a midfielder who lacks work rate is a weakness that the other side will look to take advantage of.

There are still luxury players around, but they work far harder than Le Tissier did.

Indeed. You don’t see many players with Le Tissiers ‘physique’ playing currently in Championship or above. 

36 minutes ago, sludge said:

Indeed. You don’t see many players with Le Tissiers ‘physique’ playing currently in Championship or above. 

No, but it’s 20-25 years since he played in his pomp.  The game evolves.  He would’ve evolved too.

Look how Tomlin has changed his physique in the last 12 months to match the demands of the game....and most would label him a waster.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, but it’s 20-25 years since he played in his pomp.  The game evolves.  He would’ve evolved too.

Look how Tomlin has changed his physique in the last 12 months to match the demands of the game....and most would label him a waster.

So you’re agreeing with my central points which are that players are fitter now than they used to be, largely because they need to run more. Hence in the modern game why you don’t get many overweight players and most top players do indeed run quite a lot during a game ?

1 hour ago, sludge said:

So you’re agreeing with my central points which are that players are fitter now than they used to be, largely because they need to run more. Hence in the modern game why you don’t get many overweight players and most top players do indeed run quite a lot during a game ?

Generally yes....but I’d say it’s all relative.  The fitness levels have increased across the board.  Running has increased across the board.

Tomlin (today) is tonnes fitter than Le Tissier (yesteryear), but would probably be called lazy in today’s standards, but would be deemed fit in yesteryear.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Generally yes....but I’d say it’s all relative.  The fitness levels have increased across the board.  Running has increased across the board.

Tomlin (today) is tonnes fitter than Le Tissier (yesteryear), but would probably be called lazy in today’s standards, but would be deemed fit in yesteryear.

Like it or not, you’re still agreeing with me ?

13 hours ago, sludge said:

I’m not dismissing anyone. The thread is about one of our current players and what he currently brings to the team. Not talking about the past. 

Yes, but you posted along the lines of “good players run around a lot” - you didn’t say present or past - I merely pointed out that loads of past and present ‘good players’ didn’t, and don’t, necessarily run around a lot and I gave numerous examples ... that’s all 

9 minutes ago, LilRascal said:

Why isn’t Wiemann in the Austria squad?? Who’s keeping him out of it? Would have thought he’d be in it on current form. 

I was surprised when he was overlooked a couple of seasons ago, but at 29 he might be considered a step backwards now.

@LilRascal

Austria actually have not a bad side. Based on Wiki and most recent squad...some of these midranking sides lack the hype and profile of PL players but frankly are decent.

If it's midfield he would be behind the following players from Top divisions across Europe IMO:

1. Baumgartlinger- Bayer Leverkusen
  2. Ilsanker- Frankfurt
  3. Schopf- Schalke
  4. Grillitsch- Hoffenheim
  5. Schlager- Wolfsburg
  6. Baumgartner- Hoffenheim

Then relatively recent callups:

1. Lazaro- Borussia Monchengladbach
  2. Kainz- FC Koln
  3. Lainer- Leipzig

Generally for a start, Weimann would be behind midfielders who play in say the Bundesliga IMO. Those 3 in the second category are all injured which maybe the reason they aren't in the squad.

Where you might be able to make a case is for Schaub who plays for Luzern though he's scored 5 in 15 for Austria so perhaps not, he could be fairly important for them, but he's in Swiss League. Ranftl who plays for LASK Linz- Austrian League, or Holzhauser who plays for Beerschot in Belgium. However that said,  those last 2 have 3 caps between so could be fillers anyway!

In that second list is also Zulj of Anderlecht and Goiginger of LASK- neither called up this time, if they play regularly in Europe even if Europa League for their clubs Weimann might also slip behind.

If it's up front, there could be a bit more promise here. Most recent squad.

1. Gregoritsch- Augsburg.
  2. Onisiwo- Mainz
  3. Grbic- Lorient.
  4. Monschein- Austria Vienna
  5. Kalajdzic- Stuttgart.

First 2 are Bundesliga, however the 3rd, 4th and 5th are French 2nd tier, Austrian top flight and German 2nd tier- broadly comparable? Indeed, Wiki says the last 4 have 14 caps between them but he won't be getting into midfield.

Sabitzer of Leipzig wasn't picked this time around for some reason, neither was Hinterseer of Hamburg- first one being high end Bundesliga club will be ahead, 2nd is fallen giant in Bundesliga 2 so surely wouldn't be much ahead! Arnautovic of course would be, but seems not to have played for them for a while.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yes, but you posted along the lines of “good players run around a lot” - you didn’t say present or past - I merely pointed out that loads of past and present ‘good players’ didn’t, and don’t, necessarily run around a lot and I gave numerous examples ... that’s all 

Ok I must’ve missed the list of present day/current players that don’t run around a lot. I thought your list was mostly players from over 20 years ago with the exception of Lee Tomlin. Either way, think it’s probably time to move on from this one ?

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If it's up front, there could be a bit more promise here. Most recent squad.

1. Gregoritsch- Augsburg.
  2. Onisiwo- Mainz
  3. Grbic- Lorient.
  4. Monschein- Austria Vienna
  5. Kalajdzic- Stuttgart.

First 2 are Bundesliga, however the 3rd, 4th and 5th are French 2nd tier, Austrian top flight and German 2nd tier- broadly comparable? Indeed, Wiki says the last 4 have 14 caps between them but he won't be getting into midfield.

Sabitzer of Leipzig wasn't picked this time around for some reason, neither was Hinterseer of Hamburg- first one being high end Bundesliga club will be ahead, 2nd is fallen giant in Bundesliga 2 so surely wouldn't be much ahead! Arnautovic of course would be, but seems not to have played for them for a while.

Stuttgart are currently 8th in the Bundesliga.

On 12/10/2020 at 18:48, bcfcredandwhite said:

I bet he’d be 5h1t if you strapped him to a pole and tried to play table football with him ;)

4 hours ago, David Brent said:

Thankfully I can’t see Dean Holden trying out that tactic this season 

We don’t have any Polish players either.

Archived