IGNORED

Joe Morrell - Perm to Luton Confirmed (Merged)

B-Rizzle

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I think the fact that Giggs preferred him to a Juventus player for a competitive international suggests he might be decent.. 

Having said that (& I really wanted him to get a chance) I simply cannot see how he fits in.

Bakinson is first choice there, Williams will be back to challenge him soon & this seems to be where Holden will be using Brunt as well, as although he played wide earlier in his career I don’t think he has the legs for that now.

Whether someone who wants to stay in his national side is content to be the 4th choice in his position seems highly unlikely to me.

I agree, he is a very good player having seen him against international opposition, no doubt about it.

I'm not sure about his fitness having just recovered from injury after his last game for Wales, certainly his match fitness must be in doubt. Be interesting to see if he gets a game for Wales this month, hopefully he will and come back fit.

He could play in a central three with any of the other midfielders either defensive or more attacking and does like a tackle.

Given his age, his versatility, and his potential, I can't see him going - but he is desperate for games and that may dictate things. 

A dip in form or injury to one or two midfielders and he could be in the team and stay in it.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’m not doubting his ability PF just saying that he’s up against other City midfielders who are just as good, if not better that JM.

The fact he’s a Welsh international means very little, even  Dave Partridge and Mark Aizlewood played for Wales..........:dunno:

Its a bit myopic to think that just because he plays for an international team of lowish ranking that its somehow not to be credited. Its how he plays against international opposition that is important.

And he most certainly doesn't look out of his depth against high quality opposition.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

He’s not the only midfielder with those abilities Dave. Most, if not all are equally as talented. 

Like every other player Morrell needs to impress in training simply to get noticed by the coaches and of course Deano.

We have strength in the midfield undoubtedly.  I’m sure he will impress Holden!

3 hours ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

He's just come back from injury so may not have been risked for the bench but he could be fit for Wales. 

He's a great lad and I would be haply with him in or around the first team he could offer us something different. He reminds me a bit of Michael Carrick doesn't seem to waste many passes and can ping it anywhere on the pitch. 

According to Transfermarkt he is out of contract next summer so our choices are we extend his contract and loan him out, we sell him or we extend his contract and stick him in or around the first team. 

Contract runs out 2022 plus a 1 year option.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I think the fact that Giggs preferred him to a Juventus player for a competitive international suggests he might be decent.. 

Having said that (& I really wanted him to get a chance) I simply cannot see how he fits in.

Bakinson is first choice there, Williams will be back to challenge him soon & this seems to be where Holden will be using Brunt as well, as although he played wide earlier in his career I don’t think he has the legs for that now.

Whether someone who wants to stay in his national side is content to be the 4th choice in his position seems highly unlikely to me.

Bakinson first choice at the mo’, but I think the midfield shape might not always be a 6 and two 8s (personally I dislike the en-vogue use of numbers, but hey-ho).  All our midfielders are gonna have to work hard and play well to stay in....obviously with a bit of rest and rotation too.  7 games in 20 days coming up.  Expect a few teams will watch the Forest game yesterday and see things to target Bakinson with.

33 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Ryan Giggs appreciates the lad as he's always in the Welsh team. Watch their next game.

It’s against England!!!

14 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Ah, well that's cleared that up.?

Joking aside, why are so many people raving about him??

He's so far down the pecking order..still.domt have any rational reasons 

He’s only down the pecking order because he’s been injured , like Walsh, and we haven’t seen him impose himself on the first team .

Most observers insist that he is a good player and likely to make an impression if, and when, he gets his chance. 

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He’s only down the pecking order because he’s been injured , like Walsh, and we haven’t seen him impose himself on the first team .

Most observers insist that he is a good player and likely to make an impression if, and when, he gets his chance. 

Just not sure what they've observed and where?

People seem to talk with such authority and certainty about him. I think a few games in league one and playing for Wales against sides ranked 200 isn't enough for all this hype and raving on about him.

Just feels like a load of people have jumped on the band wagon without actually knowing anything and now he's the next great thing.

I hope he's a great player and does the business for us. Perhaps he will be, but I've no idea how anyone can judge him yet.

18 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

People seem to talk with such authority and certainty about him. I think a few games in league one and playing for Wales against sides ranked 200 isn't enough for all this hype and raving on about him.

Just feels like a load of people have jumped on the band wagon without actually knowing anything and now he's the next great thing.

I hope he's a great player and does the business for us. Perhaps he will be, but I've no idea how anyone can judge him yet.

Not sure who these sides are? I’m sure the teams are pretty much top 50 including Croatia. Wales themselves are 21st. Be very interesting to see them against England on Thursday.

33 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Where are people talking with ‘authority and certainty’ on this thread without qualifying that opinion?

30 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

see my response quoted below...and others too.

I think you’d be surprised how much football some posters on OTIB watch.  Some of the posters are involved in the pro-game too (or have been in the past).

that’s you assuming that because you haven’t seen much of him, others haven’t either.  In your case, just sit there and wait until you can form your own opinion, rather than dismiss other’s views because you know little / nothing about him.

because they’ve seen plenty of him ??‍♂️

⬆️⬆️⬆️

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Seriously though, I’ve watch him in his few games for City, a fair bit old bit at Lincoln, his Welsh full international games, and age group games and he is a player who is mature beyond his years.

He reads the game really well, positions others (leadership), constantly scanning the play and runs of opponents. That’s him in the DM role.

But he can play what I call a progressive midfield role too, give and go, looking forward....a bit of the Wade Elliott in him...never wasting a pass, always on the move, always working an angle.

And he likes getting stuck in.

???

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️

But where have they seen plenty of him?? 

League one? A few international matches?

Your comments are all well and good, but where are these "pros" drawing their conclusions from?

I get Walsh, he was player of the season for Cov, had rave reviews from Everton and played a few decent games for us. 

7 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Your comments are all well and good, but where are these "pros" drawing their conclusions from?

I get Walsh, he was player of the season for Cov, had rave reviews from Everton and played a few decent games for us. 

I agree Matt. The only time I’ve seen Morrell is in the few internationals he’s played plus odd clips of him at Lincoln City. They played somebody in the cup and it was  live on tv.

I made no effort to go up to Sincil bank just to watch a City loanee..........:cool2:

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I agree Matt. The only time I’ve seen Morrell is in the few internationals he’s played plus odd clips of him at Lincoln City. They played somebody in the cup and it was  live on tv.

I made no effort to go up to Sincil bank just to watch a City loanee..........:cool2:

And that's my point... 99.9% of us haven't seen the lad play last season, aside from a few Wales matches 

However, scroll through the forum and people rave about the lad.

Just read some comments from respected posters and it feels like an attempt to be popular and just say "he's good "

I hope he is!!!! I really do!!!! 

But I'm not arrogant enough to spout off that he's going to be brilliant and needs a four year contract.

Let's wait and see. I hope we've got our next bakinson in the wings. But game time at a decent level is needed first 

I don't take internationals as a sound comparison.... Let's remember COD is a regular international playing these so called top sides and we all know about his performances last season.

43 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

And that's my point... 99.9% of us haven't seen the lad play last season, aside from a few Wales matches 

However, scroll through the forum and people rave about the lad.

Just read some comments from respected posters and it feels like an attempt to be popular and just say "he's good "

I hope he is!!!! I really do!!!! 

But I'm not arrogant enough to spout off that he's going to be brilliant and needs a four year contract.

Let's wait and see. I hope we've got our next bakinson in the wings. But game time at a decent level is needed first 

I don't take internationals as a sound comparison.... Let's remember COD is a regular international playing these so called top sides and we all know about his performances last season.

This is where I agree. You’ve got COD and Nagy playing at a similar International standard and we’ve got an idea of where they are in relation to being good enough. With Joe we’ve got no idea unless we play him. IMHO the time to play him was two years ago

12 minutes ago, TransferForum said:

This is where I agree. You’ve got COD and Nagy playing at a similar International standard and we’ve got an idea of where they are in relation to being good enough. With Joe we’ve got no idea unless we play him. IMHO the time to play him was two years ago

Just get ready for the expert happy clappers to tell you why you're wrong ?

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Seriously though, I’ve watch him in his few games for City, a fair bit old bit at Lincoln, his Welsh full international games, and age group games and he is a player who is mature beyond his years.

He reads the game really well, positions others (leadership), constantly scanning the play and runs of opponents. That’s him in the DM role.

But he can play what I call a progressive midfield role too, give and go, looking forward....a bit of the Wade Elliott in him...never wasting a pass, always on the move, always working an angle.

And he likes getting stuck in.

???

That’s how I see it, too. Two years ago, I likened Morrell to a poor man’s Xavi in his style of play - small, tenacious, technical, excellent passer, great vision - the sort who dictates the tempo. To see his rise since then has been no surprise.

I think it’d be a travesty if he’s sold now. He’s a local lad and desperate to play for us (even if it’s in goal). He’s likely to be competing for Bakinson’s role now, though, but well ahead of Nagy and Massengo.

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

So you make a comment (bold above) about Walsh....now reflect on what you’ve written then compare to exactly the same structured comment re Morrell, but changing team names:

“I get Morrell, he was player of the season for Lincoln, had rave reviews for Wales and played a few decent games for us”.

How is that any different, yet you feel people have no basis for an opinion on Morrell. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So you make a comment (bold above) about Walsh....now reflect on what you’ve written then compare to exactly the same structured comment re Morrell, but changing team names:

“I get Morrell, he was player of the season for Lincoln, had rave reviews for Wales and played a few decent games for us”.

How is that any different, yet you feel people have no basis for an opinion on Morrell. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

But that's not true....

He wasn't player of the season and he didn't get rave reviews from Wales. 

Walsh was player of the season and got the side promoted!

Walsh has also played mutlple games for our first team and arrived with lots of positive press from a premier league team. 

So, yes that's very different in every respect

3 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

But that's not true....

Walsh has also played mutlple games for our first team and arrived with lots of positive press from a premier league team. 

He wasn't player of the season... yes he was

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Game, set, and match.

1 minute ago, Matthew me said:

Well that's killed that argument then!!!!!

????

Just the question if the vote was rigged ?

Hey, you've still got the arguments that it's hard to know how good Joe Morrell is because International football isn't that good or comparable, and league 1 isn't the championship, I'm ok with that.

I think he has a lot to prove. Like winning a place in the starting 11 for instance. For Wales he did get good reviews, playing in a two as a continuity style role, recycling possession and passing forwards. But Belarus, Croatia, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Finland, Hungary and Azerbaijan were the opposition, so who knows based off of that.

Very very different beast is the championship IMO.

40 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

But that's not true....

proved by Prinny.

Yes he did....from Ryan Giggs himself.

What positive press from a Premier League team.  He never played for the First Team.  His closest was 3 appearances for Everton u23s (u21s) in the EFL Trophy.

so not at all in reality ???

⬆️⬆️⬆️

Like many players we won’t know how good he is until we see him, but the debate was why do some of us rate him.  I think we’ve answered it adequately.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️

Like many players we won’t know how good he is until we see him, but the debate was why do some of us rate him.  I think we’ve answered it adequately.

Agree we won't know until we see him in action, that's if he's able to get in our team

Probably another loan to LG1.

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

But that's not true....

For me the difference between the two is that Walsh has potentially two positions in our midfield he could occupy in either Pato's or Weimann's whereas Morrell only has Bakinson's at present. Also when asked about him on Twentyman's show DH said that Walsh is a big part of our plans this season. Can't see Morrell getting in ahead of TB, CB or JW or in any of the more attacking positions which makes him a bit surplus to requirements.

9 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

For me the difference between the two is that Walsh has potentially two positions in our midfield he could occupy in either Pato's or Weimann's whereas Morrell only has Bakinson's at present. Also when asked about him on Twentyman's show DH said that Walsh is a big part of our plans this season. Can't see Morrell getting in ahead of TB, CB or JW or in any of the more attacking positions which makes him a bit surplus to requirements.

Morrell can play more than DM.  He’s quite capable of playing box-to-box....in fact his first couple of  games for City were playing ahead of Brownhill v Huddersfield and Pack v Bolton.

2 hours ago, TransferForum said:

Can’t see him going to league 1. Be either Championship sale or loan

Fairly sure we would loan him to a championship club. Not sure we'd have that many championship clubs knocking our door down for a player that's unlikely to make our bench.

League one, that's a better fit in my opinion

Archived