IGNORED

Joe Morrell - Perm to Luton Confirmed (Merged)

B-Rizzle

1 minute ago, Matthew me said:

Fairly sure we would loan him to a championship club. Not sure we'd have that many championship clubs knocking our door down for a player that's unlikely to make our bench.

League one, that's a better fit in my opinion

A championship club were very keen to loan him last season.

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Morrell can play more than DM.  He’s quite capable of playing box-to-box....in fact his first couple of  games for City were playing ahead of Brownhill v Huddersfield and Pack v Bolton.

Can he play it better than Pato, Weimann, Walsh or Williams though? Does he have more potential than Massengo? Does he give us something different attacking wise in the way Palmer does? Can he cover a second position in the way O'Dowda can? If we are trimming the squad these would be the questions that Holden presumably is looking at, on top of this he would command a relatively decent transfer fee with add-on's. My gut feel is that Nagy will move abroad tomorrow and Morrell in the next couple of weeks.

I'm not saying he is a bad player but unfortunately a couple will lose out based on our circumstances more than anything else, if it is Nagy and Morrell then being honest I think Nagy is the bigger loss.

3 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Can he play it better than Pato, Weimann, Walsh or Williams though? Does he have more potential than Massengo? Does he give us something different attacking wise in the way Palmer does? Can he cover a second position in the way O'Dowda can? If we are trimming the squad these would be the questions that Holden presumably is looking at, on top of this he would command a relatively decent transfer fee with add-on's. My gut feel is that Nagy will move abroad tomorrow and Morrell in the next couple of weeks.

I'm not saying he is a bad player but unfortunately a couple will lose out based on our circumstances more than anything else, if it is Nagy and Morrell then being honest I think Nagy is the bigger loss.

Totally sensible questions DS.

My gut feel says we won’t play the current midfield three blend all season and there will be opportunity for different permutations.

I could quite easily see Morrell playing in many of those permutations.  It’s up to each and everyone of them to go out there and prove they’re better than someone else in that role.

There are plenty of posters who thought Williams / Walsh / Morrell would be the main CM3 this season.  We haven’t seen any of them yet.

All about getting the shirt and keeping it (within the constraints of rotation and rest.

Put it this way if we wanted to change the CM3 each game over the hectic Sat-Tues, Sat-Tues periods, we are gonna be better placed than many clubs with the quality / quantity we have.  I don’t see any of them being weak options.

A lot to look forward to.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My gut feel says we won’t play the current midfield three blend all season and there will be opportunity for different permutations.

I could quite easily see Morrell playing in many of those permutations.  It’s up to each and everyone of them to go out there and prove they’re better than someone else in that role.

There are plenty of posters who thought Williams / Walsh / Morrell would be the main CM3 this season.  We haven’t seen any of them yet.

All about getting the shirt and keeping it (within the constraints of rotation and rest.

Put it this way if we wanted to change the CM3 each game over the hectic Sat-Tues, Sat-Tues periods, we are gonna be better placed than many clubs with the quality / quantity we have.  I don’t see any of them being weak options.

You are 100% right, there is no way we will play the same three in midfield all season for a number of reasons i.e. form, injuries, suspensions, opposition etc the issue is I can't see how JM jumps the que ahead of the rest to even make the bench bearing in mind Nagy, Massengo and Palmer all failed to do so this weekend without the like of William and Walsh even being available. My opinion is that Morrell was an LJ pet project which has been alluded to by Lee himself previously, now may be the time to cash in whilst his stock is high.

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That's a fair comment , we certainly need depth with the hectic demands of the season ahead. 

No doubt we will pick up injuries and suspensions

If he's able to play a couple of different positions, then I'm not against a loan with a recall 

None if us could have forseen bakinsons impact. In the close season he was bottom of the list of possible starters, now hes top. 
i do empathise with the concern over morrell though. I know theres a lot of games to play, but williams and brunt were brought in to the squad this summer,, were they really necessary given the numbers we already have??

10 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

None if us could have forseen bakinsons impact. In the close season he was bottom of the list of possible starters, now hes top. 
i do empathise with the concern over morrell though. I know theres a lot of games to play, but williams and brunt were brought in to the squad this summer,, were they really necessary given the numbers we already have??

Williams is an upgrade on every one of our midfielders from last season imho - so yes.

Brunt is more open to question - of course he brings experience, will be in some respects the eyes and ears of the coaches, etc, etc, but I struggle to see where he’ll get much gametime when the others are back.  8/8 passes when he came on yesterday.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Williams is an upgrade on every one of our midfielders from last season imho - so yes.

Brunt is more open to question - of course he brings experience, will be in some respects the eyes and ears of the coaches, etc, etc, but I struggle to see where he’ll get much gametime when the others are back.  8/8 passes when he came on yesterday.

Doesn't Brunt fulfil another role though? when a team sits in and lets us have the ball, so often we've lacked the quality to break them down. From what we've seen this season already, his passes/set pieces still look really good. Walsh/Morrell have to compete with him for that role. Up to them to win it. That's where he can get minutes as well as the current seeing out the game role he has.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I will reserve judgement about williams being better than everyone of our midfielders until he starts playing. there is at least 3 who are ahead of him at the moment, and he wont be taking their place anytime soon.

9 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Who was it? Never heard that one.

Odd he ended up at Lincoln 

I don't really understand why you've made up your mind that Morrell is being overrated and are determined to stick to that opinion despite not having watched him that often yourself.

Doesn't make that as bad as those who (in your eyes) are overrating him based on not having watched him that much? 

9 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

If we sell Morrell, and keep COD that seems very odd to me. 

I'm not a fan of O'Dowda but over the course of the season we will need some variety in how we play. There will be games where the 5-3-2 doesn't work and we need players who can play wide. I can see why he appears to be staying. 

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't really understand why you've made up your mind that Morrell is being overrated and are determined to stick to that opinion despite not having watched him that often yourself. 

I think that point is that some on here claim to have seen Morrell play more than others and on that basis rate him highly.

The only times I’ve see JM play is during his international appearances. I haven’t been interested enough to travel to Sincil Bank to watch him but if others have then we’ll done to them. However they should note that tearing up L1 or L2 isn’t quite the same as doing it in the Championship.

The point to remember is that Deano has an abundance of midfielders that are as good, if not better than JM so the call to include him seems to me like wishful thinking on their part. 

The only way that JM would get into the first team is if he can really impress upon the the coaches at Failand that he’s the best of the lot............:cool2:

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I think that point is that some on here claim to have seen Morrell play more than others and on that basis rate him highly.

The only times I’ve see JM play is during his international appearances. I haven’t been interested enough to travel to Sincil Bank to watch him but if others have then we’ll done to them. However they should note that tearing up L1 or L2 isn’t quite the same as doing it in the Championship.

The point to remember is that Deano has an abundance of midfielders that are as good, if not better than JM so the call to include him seems to me like wishful thinking on their part. 

The only way that JM would get into the first team is if he can really impress upon the the coaches at Failand that he’s the best of the lot............:cool2:

Great - thanks as usual for that synopsis captain obvious. I don't think anyone hadn't realised any of that ?

27 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Doesn't make that as bad as those who (in your eyes) are overrating him based on not having watched him that much? 

Ive not once said he's a bad player. 

Im also hoping he's going to be another fantastic asset for us. A young lad coming through our academy is great news 

I'm just saying I find it very hard to understand how anyone who's not seen the lad play can make an informed opinion. 

We have to wait and see. Jury is out.

Some people want to hype players before theyve actually done anything for city.

Playing for a mid table lg1 team is a very different animal to the championship.

I'm therefore taking a sensible approach and saying let's wait and see. Surely that's logical 

4 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Ive not once said he's a bad player. 

Im also hoping he's going to be another fantastic asset for us. A young lad coming through our academy is great news 

I'm just saying I find it very hard to understand how anyone who's not seen the lad play can make an informed opinion. 

We have to wait and see. Jury is out.

Some people want to hype players before theyve actually done anything for city.

Playing for a mid table lg1 team is a very different animal to the championship.

I'm therefore taking a sensible approach and saying let's wait and see. Surely that's logical 

That's what most people are doing. I haven't seen anyone who hasn't watched him speak in great detail about his ability. @Davefevs has but he's qualified it because he's actually watched Joe M and clearly understands what he's watching more than most. 

People are looking at a variety of things - analysis by posters that have watched him, his international call ups, winning awards at Lincoln, Tinnion's comments about him etc. To say that Morrell might be around the first team isn't an unsubstantiated opinion without any substance.

35 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

In my opinion Joe is quality and I'd be disappointed if he didn't get a shot at the very least. There will be games over the season where we will need his industrious play more than Pato for example.

The problem as we all know is that we can't keep them all, and we can only sell or move those that there is interest in.

Joe appears to fall into that latter group. We would have a more balanced group if he were to move on.

On 03/10/2020 at 23:51, Matthew me said:

Ah, well that's cleared that up.?

Joking aside, why are so many people raving about him??

He's so far down the pecking order..still.domt have any rational reasons 

Out of interest, how do you know how far down the pecking order he is? He’s been injured, so can’t be picked. Bakinson was probably below him, but is fit, has taken his chance and done well, so after a handful of games, people are seeing him as first choice. If all had been fit, the order may well have been Williams, Morrell, Bakinson. Who knows? 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's what most people are doing. I haven't seen anyone who hasn't watched him speak in great detail about his ability. @Davefevs has but he's qualified it because he's actually watched Joe M and clearly understands what he's watching more than most. 

People are looking at a variety of things - analysis by posters that have watched him, his international call ups, winning awards at Lincoln, Tinnion's comments about him etc. To say that Morrell might be around the first team isn't an unsubstantiated opinion without any substance.

I'm not sure your post adds anything to what I've said previously.

It's sit and wait. See how good he can be .

Don't over hype a young lad that's been playing mid table league one and hope for the best 

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Umm, this four page thread?

I don't think you can justify the statement linked on the basis of the OP's reasoning that Dean isn't mentioning Morrell's name as much as the other injured players so may be leaving. That's a bit different to the link of Brest for Massengo and Trabzonspor for Nagy that have both been listed by foreign journos.

Of course the OP may be right but hardly a link. 

Archived