IGNORED

Joe Morrell - Perm to Luton Confirmed (Merged)

B-Rizzle

2 hours ago, Tangle Foot said:

I’m fairly sure Brunt was signed for his experience and versatility (remember he can slot in at LB/LWB too). Like when we signed Rowe.

I get the experience point, particularly off the bench, but he doesn't have the legs to be playing LWB and is unlikely to play LB with Rowe and Dasilva fit. Speak to any WBA fan and they say his best role in on the left of a four-man midfield, almost like Tinnion was in the '90s. We don't play that system, so I think it's a waste of a wage and a midfield place IMO. I could understand it if we were short on numbers in midfield, like we were in defence when we signed Ashley Williams last year.

Anyway, back to Morrell - City fought tooth and nail to stop him from joining Liverpool in his teens. I've followed his career ever since, seeing him play several times (mainly for Cheltenham). I was very impressed when he came back from Whaddon Road and played in the Cup against Bolton. That, to me, showed he warranted another chance at this level. Instead, he got shipped out again - and shined.

Much like Walsh, if Morrell wasn't already our player, he's the sort I would expect to be on City's radar. He's got the right attributes, the right attitude, and the right level of talent to play in the PL. He's already shown that with Wales, including when he bossed Nagy when Wales beat Hungary last season. He earnt that chance by not looking out of place against the likes of Hamsik, Perisic, Modric. The lad does the simple things extremely well. 

Will be interesting to see how he gets on against England on Thursday. Plays well and he will certainly attract interest before domestic window closes. Just don’t get how he is good to play for Wales but not is unless recovery coincidentally tied in with international break 

1 hour ago, tin said:

I get the experience point, particularly off the bench, but he doesn't have the legs to be playing LWB and is unlikely to play LB with Rowe and Dasilva fit. Speak to any WBA fan and they say his best role in on the left of a four-man midfield, almost like Tinnion was in the '90s. We don't play that system, so I think it's a waste of a wage and a midfield place IMO. I could understand it if we were short on numbers in midfield, like we were in defence when we signed Ashley Williams last year.

Anyway, back to Morrell - City fought tooth and nail to stop him from joining Liverpool in his teens. I've followed his career ever since, seeing him play several times (mainly for Cheltenham). I was very impressed when he came back from Whaddon Road and played in the Cup against Bolton. That, to me, showed he warranted another chance at this level. Instead, he got shipped out again - and shined.

Much like Walsh, if Morrell wasn't already our player, he's the sort I would expect to be on City's radar. He's got the right attributes, the right attitude, and the right level of talent to play in the PL. He's already shown that with Wales, including when he bossed Nagy when Wales beat Hungary last season. He earnt that chance by not looking out of place against the likes of Hamsik, Perisic, Modric. The lad does the simple things extremely well. 

Exactly my thinking. I'd go as far as to say it was a daft signing. 

On 05/10/2020 at 02:25, Matthew me said:

And that's my point... 99.9% of us haven't seen the lad play last season, aside from a few Wales matches 

However, scroll through the forum and people rave about the lad.

Just read some comments from respected posters and it feels like an attempt to be popular and just say "he's good "

I hope he is!!!! I really do!!!! 

But I'm not arrogant enough to spout off that he's going to be brilliant and needs a four year contract.

Let's wait and see. I hope we've got our next bakinson in the wings. But game time at a decent level is needed first 

I don't take internationals as a sound comparison.... Let's remember COD is a regular international playing these so called top sides and we all know about his performances last season.

I would just like to know where those 99.9% figures come from, I would rather listen to the ones that have seen him play than some-one who is I feel being super critical of a player he hasn't seen.

Hopefully he will be given the chance to satisfy all of us.

15 hours ago, mozo said:

Exactly my thinking. I'd go as far as to say it was a daft signing. 

I don't agree, I thought he was our main problem against Villa, although he played DM he was very one dimensional and static. Bakinson replaced him and we immediately looked a better forward looking team.

However, Saturday we saw where he could be useful, coming on to play alongside Bakinson, giving him support and a little freedom. Tinnion also made the point that he would be talking T through the game, and mentioned his experience of playing in promotion winning teams being useful on and off the pitch.

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't agree, I thought he was our main problem against Villa, although he played DM he was very one dimensional and static. Bakinson replaced him and we immediately looked a better forward looking team.

However, Saturday we saw where he could be useful, coming on to play alongside Bakinson, giving him support and a little freedom. Tinnion also made the point that he would be talking T through the game, and mentioned his experience of playing in promotion winning teams being useful on and off the pitch.

I would say Williams will be more than adequate alongside Bakinson in those scenarios. 

Morrell, Massengo and Nagy might not make it onto the bench because we prefer Brunt. I don't think all of us will agree with that.

Great to see him start. Certainly something a bit odd about his availability for selection recently, but it was officially down to a minor injury. Based on that i was expecting him to start on the bench so nice to see him involved from kick off.

Best of luck Joe.

20 minutes ago, Meh said:

Thought he was injured? Guess not ?

No, returned to training last Tuesday, following a scan the day before.

14 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Incredible for Joe. Perhaps part of his recovery from the calf strain is to get some international minutes.

You’d think Holden was very in-favour of this.

14 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

i dont get why he was not on the bench at Forest if fit for tonight. very strange

Because it was the first game he was available for selection, and others had got ahead of him due to his injury.  Palmer, Nagy and Massengo didn’t make the 18 either....they were fully fit, plus they’d all had gane time this season.

3 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

He is LJ:s baby unfortionately

So wide of the mark you wouldn’t believe BCS.

Archived