IGNORED

Joe Morrell - Perm to Luton Confirmed (Merged)

B-Rizzle

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Maybe he wants the move. He might recognise that there's plenty of competition, and at 23 perhaps he feels he wants to be somewhere where he's a first team player. It's also possible that Wales have told him he needs first team football in order to keep being selected. 

Interesting too that it's Luton. Perhaps the deal involves some sort of writing off of clauses we might have included in Bakinson.

Good point re Bakinson clauses, would make a lot of sense for us.

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

My worry is that Walsh will turn around and say he doesn't want to sign a new deal and we lose 2 of our brightest prospects in the position in the space of 12 months for little.

Could be wrong but If we weren't confident he was / has already signed a new deal then I doubt we would be letting Morrell go

I was going to say that I'm amazed that we got almost 48 hours from the deadline without a sniff of a rumour about any of our midfielders... At last something has dropped. I expected Morrell to be moving on and Palmer surely will be next.

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

My worry is that Walsh will turn around and say he doesn't want to sign a new deal and we lose 2 of our brightest prospects in the position in the space of 12 months for little.

I know what you’re saying but the issue is we have too many bright prospects. We’ve also got Joe Williams, Bakinson and Massengo who could have a very bright future in front of them. I do think we have an embarrassment of riches in the middle of the park and a difficult decision needed to be made. 

10 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

Based on? Only time will tell if it’s the right decision. Wouldn’t call it criminal...

Exactly and I have been saying you can’t choose which players gets interest. I’d like to see Morrell be a part of this team but we have a core group of midfielders who we seemingly will not sell in Williams, Bakinson, Brunt, Weimann and Paterson. Then we have a group I think we almost have to listen to offers for in Morrell, Walsh, Nagy and Massengo. An offer for Morrell makes it an easy decision. He may be the last of those we want to sell but has now become the most realistic. He has looked decent in his few champ games for us and I’d wish him well. 

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Said a while ago that Morrell and Walsh will leave this window.  Half way to being correct it seems! 

Yep right with you on it. Could be seen as reading too much into the situations but Morrell went from Wales to “calf injury” to starting for Wales again. Says to me he has been fit enough to make the bench but hasn’t been fancied. With Walsh the contract stuff has gone nowhere. Perhaps we are concentrating on finishing the window before getting more contracts extended but Walsh will be an easier sell than Massengo or Nagy. 

Morrell must be cursing Bakinson!! Really has shaken this squad up has Tyreeq, with his insane progression from out of nowhere.

Gutted to not have seen Morrell kick on with us this year, but we do have Joe Williams in there (who looks quality and is proven at the level) and hopefully this means that Walsh is potentially going to sign that contract.

Just now, Kingswoodactor said:

Morrell must be cursing Bakinson!! Really has shaken this squad up has Tyreeq, with his insane progression from out of nowhere.

Gutted to not have seen Morrell kick on with us this year, but we do have Joe Williams in there (who looks quality and is proven at the level) and hopefully this means that Walsh is potentially going to sign that contract.

Following the signings of Massengo, Palmer and Nagy, he will be cursing Johnson. 

Following the signings of Brunt and Williams, he will be cursing Holden.

Few thoughts here:

- I think, realistically, Luton or similar was the best that would be interested. Joes untried at above L1 level, and although there are hopes based on his Wales performances, if he was to move to say a Derby, he’d be in the same boat as he is currently here - probably unlikely to play for a period and putting Welsh place at risk

- With it being Luton - who remember at start of lockdown sacked manager to cut costs - I cannot see there being a significant fee. The call re Bakinson add ons being waived may be close to the mark and I expect us to also have significant clauses - keeping the potential upside if Joe develops

- FWIW from the games I’ve seen Joe play for Wales it’s been a bit “meh”. Not saying there’s not a player there, but I’ve not seen enough to be upset about this

- And one of the reasons for that is what we’ve been told many a time “Don’t get attached to players”. There is attachment to Joe as a fan base because we’ve had him for 8? years and just as he seems to be breaking through, he leaves. But we’re top heavy in midfield, he’s saleable and we have no guarantees he will make it at this level

I can see the logic in the deal from all sides.

A lot of overreaction to this on social media. Good player, international but ever played consistently above League One. Unfortunately for him we have other options in front of him so his game time will be limited. 

A decent fee and a sell on clause will be good.

That’s a real shame. He’s always impressed me and I thought he would get his chance this season. But that was before Williams and Brunt came in! 

Probably best for all parties as we have so many options in midfield. I have feeling this move is down to him, rather than us.

2 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I know what you’re saying but the issue is we have too many bright prospects. We’ve also got Joe Williams, Bakinson and Massengo who could have a very bright future in front of them. I do think we have an embarrassment of riches in the middle of the park and a difficult decision needed to be made. 

They seem our brightest prospects now but 12 months(last summer window anyway) ago before good seasons in L1 it was Massengo and Brownhill. Walsh and Morrell were fringe players. This time around Massengo has fallen(been on bench and played games though) and Bakinson has come up and now the brightest in those positions. Also Williams is a really good player as well and is only a couple weeks older than Morrell. Who knows who it will be in 12 more months from now? Football changes quickly and this could be the highest Morrell’s stock is. 

31 minutes ago, phantom said:

It could be an emotional time on here for many

Why would that be? I doubt anyone on here would list Morrell as their favourite player. General consensus seems to be that it looks like he's kicked on whilst on loan, perhaps this season he will get a decent chance. Not much more than that. 

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why would that be? I doubt anyone on here would list Morrell as their favourite player. General consensus seems to be that it looks like he's kicked on whilst on loan, perhaps this season he will get a decent chance. Not much more than that. 

Disagree, there are many in this thread that have him down as an automatic starter for City.

I don't see any other young players out on loan getting 10 pages of comments about them

He's played for LINCOLN and CHELTENHAM and not got near our first team, but for some reason there are many that seem to treat him like some kind of second coming.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

1 first team appearance about 7 years ago.

9 full international caps.

The lad needs first team games, and he is unlikely to get them in BS3. Probably best all round that we let him move on, sadly (for him) we have waaaaay too many players challenging for the same spots.

Good luck to him.

Exactly this

"Victim" of the circumstances.

He'll be desperate for first team football, but has fallen down the pecking order for the very well contested deep lying midfielder spot here.

Add in we simply need to trim the squad and as others have said, i'm sure they'd rather have moved on Nagy, but that's not happened so sometimes you take the offers you get.

Perhaps a feeling of what might have been, but we're speculating more over potential than any performances we've seen. For me he is very much a player that could go either way from here, career wise - so as long as we have a good sell on, i'm OK with him moving on.

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Disagree, there are many in this thread that have him down as an automatic starter for City.

I don't see any other young players out on loan getting 10 pages of comments about them

He's played for LINCOLN and CHELTENHAM and not got near our first team, but for some reason there are many that seem to treat him like some kind of second coming.

Exactly this

Where?

I can understand the disappointment at losing a club developed player who is starting to blossom for Wales but his sale, if, agree, is a pragmatic one. We have a surfeit of midfield players, any number of whom are in front of him in the pecking order, particularly Bakinson who is fast cementing the DM berth. I don't hold with the idea that Holden doesn't rate him, I'm sure he does, but you can't play every player you rate regardless. A sale with a decent sell on  clause may be the best for all concerned. 

26 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Football changes quickly and this could be the highest Morrell’s stock is. 

But I wouldn’t be gambling that <12 months away from the euros if they take place, his value could be a lot higher, he’s got a long time left on his contract. I’d be looking to loan him to a championship club this season if deano doesn’t want him. Give him a season at this level to at least see if it attracts the interests of the bigger teams at this level 

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

This is true. I'm just not entirely surely how many of them are better.

Look at the league table.

Would you bring him in ahead of any of the other midfielders we have currently?

The fact that SOD gave him his one first team appearance (45 mins away in an LDV defeat) as a 16 year old tells part of the story, which oddly also saw Lewis Dunk partner Flint at centre back.

Since then, we have signed Backinson from Luton who might have just got lucky with the timing of his loan moves compared to JM and is in competition with him for a similar place in the side, but he is clearly likely to feature ahead of him, as at today.

Could be he goes on and has a great career, could be Wes Burns mk2.

Archived