IGNORED

Joe Morrell - Perm to Luton Confirmed (Merged)

B-Rizzle

To be fair, there will be fans (Joe Morrell included!) that will feel he never got a fair chance.

If he does sign for Luton though, that's a positive resolution for all parties. 

I bet the sell on clause will be pretty tasty for us if he does progress.

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Even with Walsh we have a lot of options in central midfield. I'd say it's fairly likely that Morrell pushed for the move. He's 23 now and probably wants regular games. We probably won't be able to offer that.

Ultimately, although he appears a good player, with promise. He looks to be behind Bakinson, Williams and probably walsh, even Massengo possibly. Unlike championship manager, we don't have to keep a squad of 32 (just in case).

I'm happy to let him go, with a big sell on clause of course.

35 minutes ago, phantom said:

Are you serious?

As pleased as I am that you should choose to bring up my comments from 20 months ago, I feel I should point out that nowhere in that short review do I suggest he should be an automatic starter. I was making the point that in that one game he looked like he could make the step up if required. 

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Even with Walsh we have a lot of options in central midfield. I'd say it's fairly likely that Morrell pushed for the move. He's 23 now and probably wants regular games. We probably won't be able to offer that.

I reckon you’re spot on Fogg & can only echo what yourself & others have said. He built a reputation for himself whilst at Lincoln & more recently his performances for Wales. He’s at an age now where he needs to play regularly at Championship level. With the emergence of TB & Brunt signing that won’t happen here so good luck to him. Given his relatively low wage compared to say Nagy, Massengo & Palmer, Joe was always easy to sell/trade before anyone else.

Also agree on the Luton/Bakinson/financials like we did with Villa for Baker/Kodja. 

I got no doubts @Davefevswill know the ins & outs on this one. What’s the deal Dave? 

Think Bakinson’s shock emergence is behind this.

Pretty sure when we reported back he was expected to join Plymouth & Joe was going to be in the first team squad.

Still leaves us with at least 1 midfielder too many but does help balance the books, doubt it is over £500k, though.

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

As pleased as I am that you should choose to bring up my comments from 20 months ago, I feel I should point out that nowhere in that short review do I suggest he should be an automatic starter. I was making the point that in that one game he looked like he could make the step up if required. 

There's no real relevance in posting those threads. I didn't even bother to read them when I saw they weren't current. The context is important too - we now have an abundance of options in midfield. When those threads were created, perhaps we had an injury crisis, perhaps we were in poor form.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Maybe he wants the move. He might recognise that there's plenty of competition, and at 23 perhaps he feels he wants to be somewhere where he's a first team player. It's also possible that Wales have told him he needs first team football in order to keep being selected. 

Interesting too that it's Luton. Perhaps the deal involves some sort of writing off of clauses we might have included in Bakinson.

Was my first thought, that could be worth a great deal more money than we might get in a straightforward fee.

38 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

But I wouldn’t be gambling that <12 months away from the euros if they take place, his value could be a lot higher, he’s got a long time left on his contract. I’d be looking to loan him to a championship club this season if deano doesn’t want him. Give him a season at this level to at least see if it attracts the interests of the bigger teams at this level 

He isn’t going to be a 10-15m player with Luton even with a good euros imo. He doesn’t have the goals or assists to be that type like a Brownhill did. We may need the funds now or to free up the wages now. Or the deal with Luton could mean we do not have to pay extras due for Bakinson(hypothetical).

Like I said, I like him and would prefer him staying but we have an offer for him and not for others. Maybe this frees up wages/convinces Walsh to sign a new deal. I don’t see it as high risk. He isn’t a teenager who won player of the season at Lincoln. He is almost 24 and has 4-5 games at this level. He doesn’t add goals or assists like Walsh would in theory. See how it goes

10 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

I reckon you’re spot on Fogg & can only echo what yourself & others have said. He built a reputation for himself whilst at Lincoln & more recently his performances for Wales. He’s at an age now where he needs to play regularly at Championship level. With the emergence of TB & Brunt signing that won’t happen here so good luck to him. Given his relatively low wage compared to say Nagy, Massengo & Palmer, Joe was always easy to sell/trade before anyone else.

Also agree on the Luton/Bakinson/financials like we did with Villa for Baker/Kodja. 

I got no doubts @Davefevswill know the ins & outs on this one. What’s the deal Dave? 

Yep, I really hoped his chance would come this season.  Pre-season the injury to Walsh looked favourable for him, e.g. one bit of the competition gone for the early weeks of the season.

Even Joe Williams signing wasn’t an issue for me.

But the Brunt signing and then the emergence of Bakinson, which happened with Joe on international duty, then getting a calf strain, shows there are no certainties in football, and things change very quickly.  Bakinson jumped over Massengo too...it’s been a rapid rise.

I know little about this actually, I don’t tend to ask about these kind of things, unless I’m told.

Good luck to him, Jones is Welsh, so he’ll be keen for Joe to do well.  At his stage of his career, Euros next summer, I don’t think he can wait for a chance here..

• Admin
45 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You said "in this thread" - nothing about random comments and threads people have created in the last few years

Errr, why would I quote this thread in it's own thread?

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I didn't bring up your comments specifically, I shared a link to a thread that it appears you started

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Errr, why would I quote this thread in it's own thread?

I didn't bring up your comments specifically, I shared a link to a thread that it appears you started

I don't know - but that's what you posted? 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Disagree, there are many in this thread that have him down as an automatic starter for City.

Here’s what I wrote on transfer sub forum.

Yep, I really hoped his chance would come this season.  Pre-season the injury to Walsh looked favourable for him, e.g. one bit of the competition gone for the early weeks of the season.

Even Joe Williams signing wasn’t an issue for me.

But the Brunt signing and then the emergence of Bakinson, which happened with Joe on international duty, then getting a calf strain, shows there are no certainties in football, and things change very quickly.  Bakinson jumped over Massengo too...it’s been a rapid rise.

I know little about this actually, I don’t tend to ask about these kind of things, unless I’m told.

Good luck to him, Jones is Welsh, so he’ll be keen for Joe to do well.  At his stage of his career, Euros next summer, I don’t think he can wait for a chance here..

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He isn’t going to be a 10-15m player with Luton even with a good euros imo. He doesn’t have the goals or assists to be that type like a Brownhill did. We may need the funds now or to free up the wages now. Or the deal with Luton could mean we do not have to pay extras due for Bakinson(hypothetical).

Like I said, I like him and would prefer him staying but we have an offer for him and not for others. Maybe this frees up wages/convinces Walsh to sign a new deal. I don’t see it as high risk. He isn’t a teenager who won player of the season at Lincoln. He is almost 24 and has 4-5 games at this level. He doesn’t add goals or assists like Walsh would in theory. See how it goes

A midfielder should not just be judged on goals/assists so comparing him to Walsh is wrong. But if you want to compare the two last season Joe had 2 goals and 2 assists in league 1 while Liam had 3 goals and 4 assists, so the gap isn't that large. I never said Joe would be a 10-15 mil player but with Luton we probably won't even receive 1 mil for him. To me it would make more financial sense to loan him for another season and sell next summer when hopefully finances won't be so badly impacted by covid and clubs have seen him play at this level, could easily add a couple of million to his price tag and then get a sell on down the line.

11 minutes ago, One Team said:

I thought he was supposed to be the future?

Whilst I get we have too many midfielders surely players like COD should be let go before him?

Yeah, but that means someone/team wants him, has made an approach and made an offer! 

Morrell is an asset that a club is prepared to do the above? Maybe COD will fall into that category in the next 24 hours!?

On 11/10/2020 at 19:04, Leveller said:

As an aside, I’m a bit confused about these numbers being used. When I was younger and we used the 1-11 system, I got used to the two centre backs being 5 & 6. Number 4 was a midfielder, number 9 was a forward, assuming 442, the other striker was probably 10 and the other midfielders 7, 8 and 11. 

As you and downendcity have alluded to - the current fad for referring to midfielders as a "6" or "8" is just harking back to the old WM 2-3-5 formation when 8 was an attacking player who dropped into midfield to fetch and carry (Atyeo played as many games as an 8 as he did a 9) and the 6 was a more defensive player who basically sat in midfield. 

These days, labelling a more attack minded midfielder as an "8", and a more defensive minded one as a "6", is just a nod to the roles those numbers performed in the WM days.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Look at the league table.

Would you bring him in ahead of any of the other midfielders we have currently?

The fact that SOD gave him his one first team appearance (45 mins away in an LDV defeat) as a 16 year old tells part of the story, which oddly also saw Lewis Dunk partner Flint at centre back.

Since then, we have signed Backinson from Luton who might have just got lucky with the timing of his loan moves compared to JM and is in competition with him for a similar place in the side, but he is clearly likely to feature ahead of him, as at today.

Could be he goes on and has a great career, could be Wes Burns mk2.

I wasn't suggesting Morrell should be starting instead of Bakinson right now but I would certainly have Joe ahead of Massengo, Nagy and (sadly) Palmer in the pecking order. Those 3 are more dispensable, imo.

In addition, I'll be amazed if Bakinson can maintain his current standard for 46 games and Morrell seems ideal competition for that role - 2 players for every position and all that. I know Holden, and the tactical uber maestros on this board, have said Williams can cover CDM but, personally, I think it would be a waste to restrict him to a confined, defensive role when he has such all-action, all-round abilities.                    

I hope Morrell goes on to have a "better" career than Wes Burns (there's nothing "wrong" with Wes' career, tbf). I'm just amazed that, after so long at the club, with both club and player having shown significant committment to each other over the years (Morrell turned down Liverpool ffs!), we've now decided to let him go at the very point he's both ready and there's an opportunity to play him.

As others have said, I guess events have overtaken us - Bakinson's emergence, the need to offload midfielders, and so on.

"Events, dear boy. Events" to misquote Harold MacMillan.   

18 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

A midfielder should not just be judged on goals/assists so comparing him to Walsh is wrong. But if you want to compare the two last season Joe had 2 goals and 2 assists in league 1 while Liam had 3 goals and 4 assists, so the gap isn't that large. I never said Joe would be a 10-15 mil player but with Luton we probably won't even receive 1 mil for him. To me it would make more financial sense to loan him for another season and sell next summer when hopefully finances won't be so badly impacted by covid and clubs have seen him play at this level, could easily add a couple of million to his price tag and then get a sell on down the line.

I am comparing for value purposes. Midfielders that lack goals and assists do not go for big money in most cases, especially at this level. I don’t see his value changing drastically over a season. There isn’t the track record there. Most similar midfielders move on at the end of their contracts like Korey Smith. It is why Ben Pearson at Preston hasn’t moved on. No one will pay a substantial fee for that type of midfielder in this league. I bring up goals and assists as that is where the money goes. Clucas, Hendrick, Brownhill. They have diverse games and add goals and assists on top of it. Morrell is not that type of player imo. 

The fee may not be huge and the savings may not be great. That said it is pure profit as he was from the academy. Also, it is another one we do not need to give a pay rise to because he would be looking for a much larger contract having broke into the Wales squad. It isn’t ideal but is the situation we find ourselves in now. We have 4 midfielders with uncertain futures and will feature very little this season as it stands. There is an offer on the table for one of the 4. It does us no good keeping someone that isn’t going to play.

As for a loan, I wouldn’t be against it. I just don’t see it as something that will raise his value. Also, it is looking like DH will be here for more than this season. Never got the impression DH was really looking forward to using JM. That is an outside perspective for sure but if his value won’t rise and DH thinks he is backup at best then why not sell now? We always protect ourselves with sell ons and other clauses. I don’t see a downside to it personally. 

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It's all very well people saying "why not CO'D/Nagy/whoever?" but clubs have got to want them at a price we can work with.

I'd rather Morrell stay over a few others, but it's a question of timing and circumstance.

Spot on.

As for the “a few others will be gone by Friday” look at the Eliasson & likely Morrell fee, we are having to make huge cuts on what we would have expected a year ago.

Can’t see any others going myself, especially when they find out what the likes of Palmer & COD are earning...

3 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Silly decision by the club to let him go, he'd offer us something different to most of our midfielders. 

I'd have him 4th in line for midfield level with Brunt. 

And £1m as well its an absolute steal for Luton imo. 

That’s all fine and well but Morrell wants to be playing at the Euros next summer. 
He won’t if he remains 4th in line for the whole season. 

14 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

That’s all fine and well but Morrell wants to be playing at the Euros next summer. 
He won’t if he remains 4th in line for the whole season. 

Yes and that is a Very big driver for the player. A club in our division want him, we get some cash to help with cash flow (half the clubs in the EFL are in trouble as we know) and a very sizable sell on to ensure we keep an interest in the player. None of the above is perfect, but its the time we live in.

Archived