IGNORED

Joe Morrell - Perm to Luton Confirmed (Merged)

B-Rizzle

22 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

That’s all fine and well but Morrell wants to be playing at the Euros next summer. 
He won’t if he remains 4th in line for the whole season. 

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes and that is a Very big driver for the player. A club in our division want him, we get some cash to help with cash flow (half the clubs in the EFL are in trouble as we know) and a very sizable sell on to ensure we keep an interest in the player. None of the above is perfect, but its the time we live in.

??????

1 hour ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Silly decision by the club to let him go, he'd offer us something different to most of our midfielders. 

I'd have him 4th in line for midfield level with Brunt. 

And £1m as well its an absolute steal for Luton imo. 

May I ask what you think he brings that we can't get from our other midfield players? 20 months ago I would have seen him as the natural successor to Korey, but I think we have others that are ahead of him now. I don't see what he has as a USP.

I'll be disappointed to see him go without getting a real go of it here.

It does seem like he's unlikely to get much game time with the amount of CM options we have and he's well beyond a development loan now.

Hope we get a good deal with a hefty sell on. Probably the right thing for all parties when everything is considered.

Ironically the young midfielder we took from Luton thats burst into the team this season is in part, why he's moving on.

2 hours ago, One Team said:

I thought he was supposed to be the future?

The thing is that neither the player or the club want him to reach the stage where his future is behind him.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, I really hoped his chance would come this season.  Pre-season the injury to Walsh looked favourable for him, e.g. one bit of the competition gone for the early weeks of the season.

Even Joe Williams signing wasn’t an issue for me.

But the Brunt signing and then the emergence of Bakinson, which happened with Joe on international duty, then getting a calf strain, shows there are no certainties in football, and things change very quickly.  Bakinson jumped over Massengo too...it’s been a rapid rise.

I know little about this actually, I don’t tend to ask about these kind of things, unless I’m told.

Good luck to him, Jones is Welsh, so he’ll be keen for Joe to do well.  At his stage of his career, Euros next summer, I don’t think he can wait for a chance here..

Got to admit, this is what I find a bit disappointing about this.

No disrespect to Brunt and I know I'm being unduly harsh but I feel a 35 year old veteran who is not going to be a regular starter blocking a local lad from getting regular game time is something I hoped we were moving away from. I know that this isn't really fair - Vyner, Moore, Bakinson and Semenyo are all getting chances so it is hardly as if we have abandoned our young players - but I can't help feeling really disappointed Morrell hasn't at least had a chance. 

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

No disrespect to Brunt and I know I'm being unduly harsh but I feel a 35 year old veteran who is not going to be a regular starter blocking a local lad from getting regular game time is something I hoped we were moving away from. I know that this isn't really fair - Vyner, Moore, Bakinson and Semenyo are all getting chances so it is hardly as if we have abandoned our young players - but I can't help feeling really disappointed Morrell hasn't at least had a chance. 

Morrell is behind Bakinson, Joe Williams and probably even Massengo in the position he is most likely to get picked for Wales. I don’t think Brunt has much bearing in this at all. 

19 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I think at this stage I would rather see Joe Morrell go and keep Liam Walsh.

We are overloaded on midfielders and if that's the choice that has to be made then so be it.

can i ask why? i’d let walsh go as well, he’s not going to get a look in either. remember the clamour to play him when he signed? we did and he was miles out of his depth, not sure one league one loan turns him into some kind of perlo!

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Yep, I totally get the Brunt signing for experience and his playing ability (he still has a cultured left foot)...and probably the way he will enforce standards on and off the pitch, but I do wonder how many minutes he will get?  I’m happy to trust Holden on this signing, but I see it as a blocker for players, not just Joe.

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Funny how lots don’t want him to go because he’s allegedly amazing yet he’s going to Luton.  

Because football is so black and white isn’t it?  Very few (if any) are saying he’s amazing, they (me included) are saying he’s good enough to compete for minutes in this City team.  Football has too many dynamics to paint your attempt to sound clever. Unfortunately at this time, City have too many midfielders.

By your “logic” I might argue he must be brilliant, because another team actually want to buy him, unlike several other players!

Luton are 5th by the way!

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, I totally get the Brunt signing for experience and his playing ability (he still has a cultured left foot)...and probably the way he will enforce standards on and off the pitch, but I do wonder how many minutes he will get?  I’m happy to trust Holden on this signing, but I see it as a blocker for players, not just Joe.

Because football is so black and white isn’t it?  Very few (if any) are saying he’s amazing, they (me included) are saying he’s good enough to compete for minutes in this City team.  Football has too many dynamics to paint your attempt to sound clever. Unfortunately at this time, City have too many midfielders.

By your “logic” I might argue he must be brilliant, because another team actually want to buy him, unlike several other players!

Luton are 5th by the way!

Calm down Dave.  I’m not trying to be clever.  I just don’t see it with Morrell.  Decent lower championship midfielder who is way down the pecking order and rightfully so.  

You may remember me being big on youth players and backing the likes of Taylor Moore when many wrote him off. Semenyo as well.  But that doesn’t mean I need to blindly back all youth. Morrell has been overrated in his Wales performances and I can’t see him being missed.  

He’s a lovely lad though apparently.  He’s a friend of a friend who can’t speak highly enough of him and his dad so I hope he proves me wrong and realises his ambition to play Premier League football. 

33 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think at this point, bakinson is the one who holds the dm role in the team, which is arguably what morrell would be looking at, brunt will be more of a holding sub to see games out if the early games of this season are anything to go by.

anyway, good luck joe, if the move happens!

3 hours ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Silly decision by the club to let him go, he'd offer us something different to most of our midfielders. 

I'd have him 4th in line for midfield level with Brunt. 

And £1m as well its an absolute steal for Luton imo. 

Luton will benefit him I hope he does well there really think he deserves it.Deserved his chance during our cup running season didn't put a foot wrong then gets shipped out on loan after. At least Giggs can see something in him. Disappointed if true.

Henriksen, Massengo, Nagy, Palmer, Brunt and Williams all signed in the last ~18 months. 

How many of them were/are clearly better than Morrell? I personally think it's a travesty that he's going to leave with a single league appearance for us. 

Palmer, Nagy & Massengo cost ~£10m between the three of them. Would rather see any of them leave than Morrell personally. 

Callum O'Dowda has played more games in central midfield than Joe Morrell. 

23 minutes ago, Street red said:

Luton will benefit him I hope he does well there really think he deserves it.Deserved his chance during our cup running season didn't put a foot wrong then gets shipped out on loan after. At least Giggs can see something in him. Disappointed if true.

Genuine question: can we take it from the above that you rate giggs as a coach/manager?

12 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Henriksen, Massengo, Nagy, Palmer, Brunt and Williams all signed in the last ~18 months. 

How many of them were/are clearly better than Morrell? I personally think it's a travesty that he's going to leave with a single league appearance for us. 

Palmer, Nagy & Massengo cost ~£10m between the three of them. Would rather see any of them leave than Morrell personally. 

Callum O'Dowda has played more games in central midfield than Joe Morrell. 

Maybe he's just not good enough to play for a top half championship team. From what I have seen he is a very neat and tidy player but little more.

I'm going to play devils advocate here.

Holden is well aware of him and what he can do. If he currently can't get into our squad (or won't get in when fully fit if he's not quite ready), then why is he going to Luton?

No disrespect to Luton, but if he was THAT good, then surely he would be getting into our squad, or pushing for a move higher up the league standings?

I've personally not seen enough of him to form a decent opinion of him, but maybe he's not quite good enough to be where we are/want to be.

What I have seen of him, he looks a tidy player. We don't see him day in day out though.

8 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Maybe he's just not good enough to play for a top half championship team. From what I have seen he is a very neat and tidy player but little more.

Back in April, I reckon most of us would have said at least two or three of Moore, Vyner, Bakinson and Semenyo weren't ready for Championship football and might never get there. All of them have grabbed their chance so far this season and I just find it a shame we'll never know with Morrell.

I'm not for a minute suggesting he's the missing piece of the jigsaw or anything like that but I do think that Nagy, Palmer, Massengo and O'Dowda haven't shown enough in central midfield to convince me they should be ahead of him. At the same time, I'm guessing economics play a part - specifically the fact that Nagy, Palmer, Massengo and O'Dowda have not convinced is precisely why we can't shift them and are having to shift the player there is a taker for...

Absolute madness. How we have arrived at this situation. Good young talented home grown international midfield being sold to Luton yet Johnson/club spent millions on Massengo/Nagy. You could not make it up for outright stupidity and mismanagement. Our loss will be Luton's considerable gain.

19 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Couldn't put it better myself. Given more time, he might improve but, never set the third tier alight with dynamic performances and you have to trust the people that see him on a daily basis.

I reckon Morrell would of stayed if we could of shifted Nagy, Palmer & HNM on.

Unfortunately we do have far too many players for CM, and if the only player with interest is Morrell who is not a guaranteed starter then sadly we have to accept it if a reasonable deal can be made.

With Williams, Walsh, Pato, Bakinson, Weimann, Nagy, HNM, Brunt, Palmer all still here to occupy a 3 man midfield we need to shift on anyone whose not a guaranteed starter and wanted by another club, in my opinion.

22 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

That probably what Deano thinks as well. 

The bottom line is that City have a plethora of midfielders and Morrell is seen as surplus to requirements. It happens all the time in football.

The fact that he’s a Welsh international means bugger all when you consider the likes of Dave Partridge and Mark Aizlewood were Welsh international ps as well..............:cool2:

18 minutes ago, Taz said:

I'm going to play devils advocate here.

Holden is well aware of him and what he can do. If he currently can't get into our squad (or won't get in when fully fit if he's not quite ready), then why is he going to Luton?

No disrespect to Luton, but if he was THAT good, then surely he would be getting into our squad, or pushing for a move higher up the league standings?

I've personally not seen enough of him to form a decent opinion of him, but maybe he's not quite good enough to be where we are/want to be.

What I have seen of him, he looks a tidy player. We don't see him day in day out though.

I think you are correct, but curious where you have seen him play?

14 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Absolute madness. How we have arrived at this situation. Good young talented home grown international midfield being sold to Luton yet Johnson/club spent millions on Massengo/Nagy. You could not make it up for outright stupidity and mismanagement. Our loss will be Luton's considerable gain.

Hasn't he only played one game for us?

I'd love to know what you base your opinions on?

Archived