IGNORED

Joe Morrell - Perm to Luton Confirmed (Merged)

B-Rizzle

22 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Genuine question: can we take it from the above that you rate giggs as a coach/manager?

I do rate Giggs hes a man that's been there and done it as a player in the biggest competitions and grew with the one of the biggest club in the world especially under the management of Ferguson out of all the former players ie scholes Neville butt etc Giggs is more in the management mold and yes the above doesn't make you a good manager but Giggs definitely has it about him..Managing Wales isn't the easiest of jobs from the perspective of limited players so seeing him develop younger players at international level is good to see especially below prem level and what better man Morrell can learn off.. Morrell is a quality and I still can't get my head around why he isn't playing regularly for city.

50 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Henriksen, Massengo, Nagy, Palmer, Brunt and Williams all signed in the last ~18 months. 

How many of them were/are clearly better than Morrell? I personally think it's a travesty that he's going to leave with a single league appearance for us. 

Palmer, Nagy & Massengo cost ~£10m between the three of them. Would rather see any of them leave than Morrell personally. 

Callum O'Dowda has played more games in central midfield than Joe Morrell. 

I hope you are not forgetting the 35 minute sub appearance against Ipswich in the league... 

How could you forget the post games classic LJ quotes: 

"You could put him in the World Cup final and he'd still play the same way."

"He's got lovely hips"

A crazy statistic about Joe Morrell is that he made his debut for the club 7 years ago in a League Cup defeat against Wycombe Wanderers. That side contained Lewis Dunk and Marlon Harewood and I believe it was Marlon Pack's second appearance for the club. He's made 5 other appearances for the club in that time and three of them came in the FA Cup in the 18/19 season. 

It's fair to say he wasn't given a chance and it may be one that we regret. However, we have a ridiculously large squad with many talented players and, as others mention, we can only move players on if there's interest. 

10 minutes ago, Street red said:

I do rate Giggs hes a man that's been there and done it as a player in the biggest competitions and grew with the one of the biggest club in the world especially under the management of Ferguson out of all the former players ie scholes Neville butt etc Giggs is more in the management mold and yes the above doesn't make you a good manager but Giggs definitely has it about him..Managing Wales isn't the easiest of jobs from the perspective of limited players so seeing him develop younger players at international level is good to see especially below prem level and what better man Morrell can learn off.. Morrell is a quality and I still can't get my head around why he isn't playing regularly for city.

we will have to agree to disagree on giggs, personally i don’t think he,s up to much, as for not getting in our team,he ain’t as good as bakinson

7 minutes ago, Street red said:

Giggs without question was one of, and has played with some of the best players in the world over the last 20 years, but while morrell has played for wales, like cod with ireland, and Northern ireland at the moment, any pro in the english leagues is likely to get a call up for their team if they qualify for the squad.

as it stands, bakinson has the midfield role in our side at the moment and has been a revelation, and thats why morrell isnt playing regularly for city.

16 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Giggs without question was one of, and has played with some of the best players in the world over the last 20 years, but while morrell has played for wales, like cod with ireland, and Northern ireland at the moment, any pro in the english leagues is likely to get a call up for their team if they qualify for the squad.

as it stands, bakinson has the midfield role in our side at the moment and has been a revelation, and thats why morrell isnt playing regularly for city.

I worry we might be putting all our eggs in a Bakinson-shaped basket here. What if TB’s form tails off? It has done previously at Plymouth where he’s been accused of coasting after a promising start and he’s played just four league games for us. Then what? Go back to relying on Nagy and Massengo in the heat of Championship battle? That bit of grit and composure from Morrell would’ve come in handy and I suspect his sale will bite us on the ass. Poor decision but I hope he does well. 

17 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I agree with bakinson playing he deserves it 100% but Morrell deserved that chance a couple of seasons ago and my feeling is if given the chance then he would of provided the energy bakinson gives us now that's whats frustrating for me instead we went into the transfer market when we didn't need to... Yes any player can be called up but he's been regularly picked by Giggs so that says to me Giggs trusts him and rates him.

24 minutes ago, frenchred said:

we will have to agree to disagree on giggs, personally i don’t think he,s up to much, as for not getting in our team,he ain’t as good as bakinson

That's what's great about this forum and footie in general everything's up for debate ? Bakinson is different player all together to Morrell but that doesn't mean they can't play in the same team but we still have to go easy with bakinson it's early days and we don't want him disappearing like morrell has. 

6 minutes ago, tin said:

I worry we might be putting all our eggs in a Bakinson-shaped basket here. What if TB’s form tails off? It has done previously at Plymouth where he’s been accused of coasting after a promising start and he’s played just four league games for us. Then what? Go back to relying on Nagy and Massengo in the heat of Championship battle? That bit of grit and composure from Morrell would’ve come in handy and I suspect his sale will bite us on the ass. Poor decision but I hope he does well. 

On the contrary surely Joe Williams will be in that position possibly with Tyreeq as cover. 

56 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I think you are correct, but curious where you have seen him play?

Hasn't he only played one game for us?

I'd love to know what you base your opinions on?

Highlights mainly. As I said haven't seen enough of him, like many others.

Highlights can be very misleading though, so even then looking tidy doesn't really mean much. 

Presuming this goes through, we really have to presume that the coaching team doesn't rate him that much. With that in mind we're going to have to trust them. He may just be unfortunate in that he has too many people in front of him, and the club feels it would be better to let him go elsewhere.

Could end up being that we have a buyback option, or a very decent sell on, just in case he kicks on later. 

One other thing we need to remember though, is that David Partridge was also a Welsh international. Perhaps some people are seeing Joe Morrell Welsh International, and being blinded by the International bit.

I hope he kicks on and does well, with or without us, as it would be another success for our academy.

21 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

On the contrary surely Joe Williams will be in that position possibly with Tyreeq as cover. 

Joe Williams isn’t a natural holding midfielder. He’s better box-to-box, in which case he comes in for Pato IMO. Very handy set piece taker as well. 

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Couldn't put it better myself. Given more time, he might improve but, never set the third tier alight with dynamic performances and you have to trust the people that see him on a daily basis.

He did win Lincoln player of the season.  Think a lot of people were well aware of his impact....plus he didn’t have the bonus of playing for a table topping Lg1 club either.

Became fully-fledged member of Wales squad due to his performances for Lincoln.  Had previously received one call-up (unused sub) last summer.

2 hours ago, Selred said:

I reckon Morrell would of stayed if we could of shifted Nagy, Palmer & HNM on.

Unfortunately we do have far too many players for CM, and if the only player with interest is Morrell who is not a guaranteed starter then sadly we have to accept it if a reasonable deal can be made.

With Williams, Walsh, Pato, Bakinson, Weimann, Nagy, HNM, Brunt, Palmer all still here to occupy a 3 man midfield we need to shift on anyone whose not a guaranteed starter and wanted by another club, in my opinion.

In a nutshell imho.  With Euros coming up, he needs to play.  Can he afford to take a gamble of waiting for a chance to play?

2 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

Maybe he's just not good enough to play for a top half championship team. From what I have seen he is a very neat and tidy player but little more.

He’s going to Luton who are 5th.  They might not end there admittedly.  Ultimately we have too many CMs and we have interest from another club.

1 hour ago, tin said:

Think it did at Newport too....but in many respects playing CM in Lg2 can mean you end up watching a lot of ball going over your head.

I don’t think we are taking much of a risk with Tyreeq, we have several other options in there.

Im gutted he is leaving, but I understand why from his side and the club’s side.  That’s football.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Holden said today that clubs are interested in a few of our players.

more outgoings are possible....couple of days of manic behaviour ahead.

Brunt and Rowe are out of contract next summer I think- that's 2 down from CM for a start.

I dunno selling, doesn't feel a good move- why not loan with scope to negotiate further or even just loan to Luton to utilise next season? Quite shocked by this move tbh, albeit he does need football from his POV for the Euros.

I dunno, this doesn't feel a great move- he certainly hasn't had a proper chance.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think it did at Newport too....but in many respects playing CM in Lg2 can mean you end up watching a lot of ball going over your head.

I don’t think we are taking much of a risk with Tyreeq, we have several other options in there.

Im gutted he is leaving, but I understand why from his side and the club’s side.  That’s football

Bakinson’s made a great start, but it is a risk to pin our hopes on him. If he continues to excel, he won’t be with us next summer. If he starts cruising again, like he has before, we will be exposed in CM. As I said, Nagy and Massengo have shown promise but nothing to suggest they’re up to the hustle and bustle of this league. 

Of course I understand Morrell’s motivation for leaving, but I also know he’d run through a brick wall for City. He needs to play. He’s good enough to do that for us IMO and if his path is blocked he has to move on, even if Nagy, Massengo or Palmer moving on would’ve been preferable.

1 hour ago, CiderHider said:

He wants games, gaffer can't guarantee them and he's asked to leave

Yeah I think it's probably as simple as that. I don't imagine he's a high earner, so we could've kept him around. But is that fair? It's the right thing to do to let him leave if he wants games that we can't guarantee.

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I really don't think Massengo moving permanently would be preferable to Morrell moving permanently, if that's what you mean. Massengo has amazing potential, so selling him now would be a very bad move imo

Massengo has potential but it’s only that at the moment. Lots of players show promise they fail to realise. I also think he has plenty of it but it’s not tailor made for this level of football and I’d take Morrell over him right now. 

Bit of a shame as I’d like to have seen him given a chance. 

Definitely a player there but we’re so overloaded in his position, with players of a similar age too, if we can get a decent fee with a sell on clause then it makes sense all round.

Good move for him I think and a clever signing by Luton. Good luck to him. 

Just shows to me how bad our decision-making was back in January. Should have come back, along with Walsh and given games. We’d be a lot clearer on the likelihood of one, if not both, having the ability to play in the top echelons of the Championship. 

At the moment, both of them are likely to disappear on the cheap. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Morrell at 19, or 20 or 21 I doubt looked tailor made for this level. He was loaned to Margate at about 20 I think, and was on the bench for every game.

Massengo looks tailor made for this level imo considering he's 19 and has at times played really well. He's not even close to what he should become. Swansea, Derby, Hudderesfield and more games last season he was exceptional for someone so young. 

I don’t disagree about Morrell at 19, Jon. There were reasons City fought hard to keep him out of the clutches of Liverpool, just like there were reasons Liverpool tried to poach him from our academy.

In terms of comparing him with Massengo at the same age, it’s a bit futile because players mature at different ages. I want to see homegrown players succeed with us, ideally, and that involves giving them a chance. Massengo is another hopeful investment, like Szmodics or Palmer. He might come good, he might not, but at least he gets a chance. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He did win Lincoln player of the season.  Think a lot of people were well aware of his impact....plus he didn’t have the bonus of playing for a table topping Lg1 club either.

Became fully-fledged member of Wales squad due to his performances for Lincoln.  Had previously received one call-up (unused sub) last summer.

In a nutshell imho.  With Euros coming up, he needs to play.  Can he afford to take a gamble of waiting for a chance to play?

He’s going to Luton who are 5th.  They might not end there admittedly.  Ultimately we have too many CMs and we have interest from another club.

Im gutted he is leaving, but I understand why from his side and the club’s side.  That’s football.

more outgoings are possible....couple of days of manic behaviour ahead.

As I said Dave, didn't set the third tier alight but, obviously did enough to impress the supporters of a team that finished 16th and lower than Rovers. They were on a wretched run of form prior to lockdown, which if continued would have seen them join the fourth tier. I'm not knocking him but it sounds bang average to me, something I would like to think we're aiming higher than. 

2 hours ago, tin said:

He’s good enough to do that for us IMO and if his path is blocked he has to move on, even if Nagy, Massengo or Palmer moving on would’ve been preferable.

I'm with you on this but in the present financial situation I can't see anyone coming in for the likes of Palmer with his wages, demands etc, as good as he is he's been very very disappointing. I think it's a good move for Joe & wish him well, lets trust DH & Co on this one :thumbsup:

Archived