IGNORED

Joe Morrell - Perm to Luton Confirmed (Merged)

B-Rizzle

On 03/10/2020 at 20:22, B-Rizzle said:

Just a hunch. Yes, coming back from injury but will be interesting to see how involved he is for Wales as again no room for him on the bench today.

Tins mentioned a few times about players still to come back and name checked Walsh and Williams twice. Strange that he didn’t mention JM once even though he always champions the young home grown players.

Could be nothing but does he know something we don’t? Thoughts?

Can I mention in lieu of the recent apparent rumours. What a hunch.

Lottery numbers please Rizzle?

1 hour ago, ReggyRed said:

if morrell was half as good as people on here bang on about after hardly seeing him play he certainly wouldn’t be off to luton. 

Must admit I’ve not seen much of him play, but you have to say if Holden thought it would be a quality addition to the first team / squad he would want to keep him. Bakinson, Vyner, Semenyo are all now part of the squad  (appreciate injuries are playing a part) but Holden seems happy to give the youngsters their opportunity 

5 minutes ago, daored said:

Must admit I’ve not seen much of him play, but you have to say if Holden thought it would be a quality addition to the first team / squad he would want to keep him. Bakinson, Vyner, Semenyo are all now part of the squad  (appreciate injuries are playing a part) but Holden seems happy to give the youngsters their opportunity 

He is a victim of circumstances unfortunately, whilst he is a good player in his own right he isn't better than what we have in any of the three midfield slots defensively (Bakinson, WIlliams etc) or creatively (Pato, Walsh, Weimann, Palmer) nor does he offer experience and influence in the dressing room (Brunt and Rowe) and nor can he play in a different position (O'Dowda). It's right decision if he goes albeit a shame as he's never had an oppurtunity here over the last 5 years that arguably he deserved.

11 hours ago, RedRock said:

Just shows to me how bad our decision-making was back in January. Should have come back, along with Walsh and given games. We’d be a lot clearer on the likelihood of one, if not both, having the ability to play in the top echelons of the Championship. 

At the moment, both of them are likely to disappear on the cheap. 

It's easy to say this in hindsight however we did the same thing with Semenyo and that had a real negative impact on him? So there's no guarantee that it would have benefited these two, in my opinion getting a full season at League One Level would have been much more beneficial than a handful of starts/sub appearances for us. To be able to cement a place in a team over the course of a season even at a lower level is a skill that will serve them really well for the future.

Ultimately I think it seems a sensible move for all parties. Luton get a player who has impressed at a lower level, we get a fee for a fringe player and Morrell gets his chance to compete for a place at the Euros. People questioning the signing of Brunt however we also need to look at the here and now as opposed to the future, if Holden thinks Brunt will help contribute to more points on and off the pitch this season then so be it. We have a real opportunity this year given the state football is in and every point matters. 

As said previously, ideally we'd have seen others go before Morrell but if he wants to play 30-40 games this season then Luton is a logical move for him. Would a loan move have suited us more? Possibly, although I don't know his contract situation, but this is a fresh start for Morrell and one that could really benefit him long term and it wouldn't surprise me if he has pushed for this.

Will be an interesting few days in terms of outgoings and think there will be more in that midfield area.

15 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Henriksen, Massengo, Nagy, Palmer, Brunt and Williams all signed in the last ~18 months. 

How many of them were/are clearly better than Morrell? I personally think it's a travesty that he's going to leave with a single league appearance for us. 

Palmer, Nagy & Massengo cost ~£10m between the three of them. Would rather see any of them leave than Morrell personally. 

Callum O'Dowda has played more games in central midfield than Joe Morrell. 

While it could be argued that he should have been given a chance 2 seasons ago, he wasn't and that's a huge shame. However, although the academy's first task is to produce players for us, it's other tasks include making money and producing league standard players generally. I feel Morrell falls into the second and third part of that equation.

As far as Dean Holden's view on him, it seems from the signings and the players he has played so far, his view is similar to my late fathers.... "generally, a good big 'un is better than a good little'un". There are exceptions of course.

41 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I remember similar comments and threads about Wes Burns, whatever happened to him

Yep we were definitely right to let go of Burns in hindsight. Obviously people get a bit more attached to academy products, but the reality is not every single one will make the grade for one reason or another. 

I reckon Morrell wants to leave to get first team football - a brave and mature decision really and he should be commended for it. It is probably better for his career to be playing regular games at Luton than on the bench/loaned out here.

46 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I remember similar comments and threads about Wes Burns, whatever happened to him

Burns made 40+ appearances for City. He’d had a fair crack of the whip, you could see he wasn’t up to it and was rightly moved on. A bit ingenious to compare this to Burns’ exit, IMO.

Anyway, good move for Morrell and I wish him all the best. 

Not too worried about letting Joe go to Luton if we can get a decent fee for him and a sell on clause as these decisions need to be made to balance the books and we have plenty of other lightweight midfielders anyway. A loan may have been better, but maybe he didn't want that.

A bit early in his career to know whether he has star quality, but what I've seen so far from him looks decidedly average.

1 hour ago, hinsleburg said:

It's easy to say this in hindsight however we did the same thing with Semenyo and that had a real negative impact on him? So there's no guarantee that it would have benefited these two, in my opinion getting a full season at League One Level would have been much more beneficial than a handful of starts/sub appearances for us. To be able to cement a place in a team over the course of a season even at a lower level is a skill that will serve them really well for the future.

Ultimately I think it seems a sensible move for all parties. Luton get a player who has impressed at a lower level, we get a fee for a fringe player and Morrell gets his chance to compete for a place at the Euros. People questioning the signing of Brunt however we also need to look at the here and now as opposed to the future, if Holden thinks Brunt will help contribute to more points on and off the pitch this season then so be it. We have a real opportunity this year given the state football is in and every point matters. 

As said previously, ideally we'd have seen others go before Morrell but if he wants to play 30-40 games this season then Luton is a logical move for him. Would a loan move have suited us more? Possibly, although I don't know his contract situation, but this is a fresh start for Morrell and one that could really benefit him long term and it wouldn't surprise me if he has pushed for this.

Will be an interesting few days in terms of outgoings and think there will be more in that midfield area.

Problem is, that isn’t said in hindsight. Several of us said it at the time. 

I think both of them are in the final year of their contracts. That makes a decision even more bizarre, at least to me. 

Consistently of the view that LJ created a squad of midfielders in the image of himself. So we have a surfeit if small, lightweight midfielders that are often out-powered in the Championship by ‘big’ teams. While agreeing of the current strategy of bolstering the midfield with the likes of William’s and Brunt, it would have been interesting to see what Morrell and Walsh could have done for us. Now we’re in a fire sale situation with the risk of them running their contracts down and leaving for nothing. One, or both of them, could be real gems who may have helped us to the promised land or generated £££’s. Likely, for others to find out now with a low risk gamble buying them for knock-down prices.  

Still, at least LJ secured CoD on a 4 year contract (and some of us also said at the time that decision would cost him his job). 

We're basically selling a near 24 year old reserve in an area where we have other, younger, players with more potential to really shine.

Morrell looks to me to be a reliable, consistent, if unspectacular midfield player who is unlikely to forge a career above mid Championship level.

Eminently dispensable in the current situation and no great loss at all imo.

Good luck to him - he'll probably turn out to be a solid player at this level, but I really don't see his departure as a cause for any regret.

Not bad a deal all round really; approx £1m profit (not including fixed costs) for a player the club were probably going to let go of a couple of seasons ago + a reasonable sell on assumed. 

I remember reading somewhere LJ was the one who had faith in his development and pushed for a new deal when he was probably going to be released, but then again take that with a pinch of salt as he did like to blow his own trumpet.

JM's loans have paid off - having increased his value & desirability and given us an extra income stream.

Think it's a great opportunity for him & a good result for the academy, can't all make the 1st team but if it can launch academy lads into the professional game and provide revenue then its working.

7 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Been saying for a while, I don't get the hype.

All the analytics doesn't change the fact DH doesn't rate him

Luton or a LG1 team feels about right 

Good luck Joe if you're on your way. All the best ?

You said you haven't watched him play much and have been critical of others for being too positive about Morrell without watching him play much either. Applying your own logic, how can you say the above?

It's a sort of funny conclusion to a long City career.

He finally gets a good season in the League, looks like a regular for Wales and then off he goes.

It reminds me of one of those fireworks that start off doing little, build up to a crescendo of a little bit more and just as you think something big is gonna happen   - it just fizzles out.

Best of luck to Joe and hope he sparkles elsewhere.

Re Wales performances you have to ask whether Giggs is getting more from that team than you would think from an individual standpoint. Morrell has played well for them but you also have other championship or lower players doing well in that squad that aren’t exactly household championship names. Look at Williams who scored last night. Can barely get a kick for Charlton at the minute in league 1. Morrell is looking good in that team because they have built a balanced team.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It's a sort of funny conclusion to a long City career.

He finally gets a good season in the League, looks like a regular for Wales and then off he goes.

It reminds me of one of those fireworks that start off doing little, build up to a crescendo of a little bit more and just as you think something big is gonna happen   - it just fizzles out.

Best of luck to Joe and hope he sparkles elsewhere.

Isn't it similar to the career Tomas Kalas had at Chelsea? 9 years at the club and 2 appearances 6 clubs on loan before being sold.

• The title was changed to Joe Morrell - Perm to Luton (Confirmed)

Archived