IGNORED

Joe Morrell - Perm to Luton Confirmed (Merged)

B-Rizzle

Totally fine with him going.

Think he'll be a good champ player, but he doesn't fit our current system and is unlikely to be a first team player for us.

He's 23, time to go play football for a team that wants you. Bakinson's 21, and ahead of him, Williams is 23 with a year and half of good championship games behind him, Walsh is 23 and "a big part of the way we want to play" Massengo is 19 and has more championship experience, and when Joe Morrell was 19 he was coming off failed loans to Sutton and Margate.

Watching him for Wales, he's a neat and tidy continuity player, an organiser, a disciplined trustworthy player for Giggs, but that's it IMO. He cannot play in the Prem with his size speed and lack of USPs to use a Johnsonism. Players have an opportunity every day in training, and every second they're out on loan. Holden's been really good SO FAR with his analysis on players so I'm pretty comfortable with this decision.

I think it's good for Joe who'll want first team football as he mentioned in that BBC interview, and it's good that someone came in and offered us something for a player who's low in the pecking order here, who's behind at least three players either his age or younger than him.

We already have players who can do what he can do. For those whining he hasn't had a chance, you get your chances every day. Every time you play on loan. How do you think Bakinson got a shot? By performing. Morrell was training with us for months at the end of last season. Walsh impressed enough, Moore impressed enough, those were both players out on loan and who came back to train with us who got the exact same shot Morrell did.

So totally fine with this. Hope he does well in his career except against us, time for him to move on, time for us to move him on. All good IMO.

23 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Hardly seen him play. So not that bothered he’s going. 

Finally a sensible voice.

Hilarious the replies of many on OTIB

23 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Henriksen, Massengo, Nagy, Palmer, Brunt and Williams all signed in the last ~18 months. 

How many of them were/are clearly better than Morrell? I personally think it's a travesty that he's going to leave with a single league appearance for us. 

Palmer, Nagy & Massengo cost ~£10m between the three of them. Would rather see any of them leave than Morrell personally. 

Callum O'Dowda has played more games in central midfield than Joe Morrell. 

Oh my, what an odd response.

Perfect example of someone seeing something in him that he hasn't ever done

7 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I remember similar comments and threads about Wes Burns, whatever happened to him

and look where he is now

6 hours ago, tin said:

Burns made 40+ appearances for City. He’d had a fair crack of the whip, you could see he wasn’t up to it and was rightly moved on. A bit ingenious to compare this to Burns’ exit, IMO.

I disagree, it is exactly like Wes Burns, in that at the time many were talking about him as the future of our club, yet was never setting the world alight anywhere

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

??????

Unless you are related this is a really unhealthy and concerning reaction from an adult

But would explain your obsession with trying to make him look better with all those numerous charts and screenshots

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Obviously a sad day not just for Joe but us all. Couldn’t quite fully complete the pathway. Right time to move on for Joe and Bristol City. Manager has been first class in his honesty and understanding. Good luck for the season. Roll on the 29th December ? <a href="https://t.co/kZGFeeRKd5">https://t.co/kZGFeeRKd5</a></p>&mdash; Dave Morrell (@MorrellDave) <a href="https://twitter.com/MorrellDave/status/1316752380277518336?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Been saying for a while, I don't get the hype.

All the analytics doesn't change the fact DH doesn't rate him

Luton or a LG1 team feels about right 

Good luck Joe if you're on your way. All the best ?

@Matthew me oddly there are a couple of people on OTIB that seem overly sensitive and obsessed with making him into a player he isn't yet

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You said you haven't watched him play much and have been critical of others for being too positive about Morrell without watching him play much either. Applying your own logic, how can you say the above?

Because he has consistently only done it lower league sides.

No matter how many stats your co-pilot shares won't make him look any better than he is

Personally think it is good business all round

Morrell can now get settled at a permanent club and settle where he is wanted

Speculation online appears to be anywhere between £200,000 - £1m, for me Joe could easily be worth a lot more this time next year if he has a good Euros so seems a strange decision to sell rather than loan to Luton unless Joe has explicitly said he wants to leave permanently. Given the fact Pato and Walsh are out of contract at the end of the season we've surely got to have them all but signed for extensions to allow Joe to leave. Losing all 3 in 12 months for all but nothing would be a disaster.

22 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

@Matthew me oddly there are a couple of people on OTIB that seem overly sensitive and obsessed with making him into a player he isn't yet

Where? I haven't seen that at all. Just a few people that have watched him play who've provided feedback and stats.. and the others who thought maybe they'd get a good look at him this season. Haven't seen anyone 'overly sensitive' or even 'obsessed' with bigging him up.

Because he has consistently only done it lower league sides.

Luton Town are in our league, so that doesn't work as a counter point.

No matter how many stats your co-pilot shares won't make him look any better than he is

?

Personally think it is good business all round

Morrell can now get settled at a permanent club and settle where he is wanted

I think if the fee is 7 figures and potentially wipes out some of the Bakinson sell on then yes. You never want to keep an unhappy player around, and if he's left to get games then good luck to him. We have a lot of competition in his role and couldn't guarantee him games that he'd need to push on with his career.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Good luck Joe, had promising moments when he did play for us, but I don't think he is a top end Championship player. Better options at the club already.

This is certainly a view point I share.

I like Fam and think he is a solid player at this level, but I don’t think he is ‘top end’ and if we have true ambition we always needed something better. 

Perhaps the club feel the same way about Joe? 

Good move for Joe.  He needs games to develop.  

Sad to see a homegrown player like him leave, bit probably for the best for all parties. 

Definitely a victim of the scattergun approach to recruitment i.e.  buy up and coming talent and figure out what to do with them later.  

37 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Just a few people that have watched him play who've provided feedback and stats.. and the others who thought maybe they'd get a good look at him this season. Haven't seen anyone 'overly sensitive' or even 'obsessed' with bigging him up.

Luton Town are in our league, so that doesn't work as a counter point.

I think if the fee is 7 figures and potentially wipes out some of the Bakinson sell on then yes.

I've not read anyone on here that has seen him play for Cheltenham or Lincoln. 

Oh come on there have been plenty bigging him up, just read through the comments discussing what a loss he will be.

Luton aren't Championship standard, fully expect them to be battling to stay up

7 figure fee, you're having a laugh. 

Completely unproven at this level, those more ITK are quoting nearer £200k

Just now, bristolcitysweden said:

We’ve had open and honest conversations since my appointment and he felt this was something he wanted to pursue. 

Bullshit.

You are stuck in Sweden aNd have hardly seen the guy play. The management and coaching team work with him EVERY DAY. He wants first team football, he can get it in Luton's much smaller squad. The statement is not bullshit, which you should be able to recognise as it makes up 99% of your posts.

Archived