IGNORED

Joe Morrell - Perm to Luton Confirmed (Merged)

B-Rizzle

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

You are stuck in Sweden aNd have hardly seen the guy play. The management and coaching team work with him EVERY DAY. He wants first team football, he can get it in Luton's much smaller squad. The statement is not bullshit, which you should be able to recognise as it makes up 99% of your posts.

They left out the part where Dean mentioned they'd had a conversation about how much game time he was likely to get and thats where the wanting to pursue the Luton idea came from.

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

Totally fine with him going.

Think he'll be a good champ player, but he doesn't fit our current system and is unlikely to be a first team player for us.

He's 23, time to go play football for a team that wants you. Bakinson's 21, and ahead of him, Williams is 23 with a year and half of good championship games behind him, Walsh is 23 and "a big part of the way we want to play" Massengo is 19 and has more championship experience, and when Joe Morrell was 19 he was coming off failed loans to Sutton and Margate.

Watching him for Wales, he's a neat and tidy continuity player, an organiser, a disciplined trustworthy player for Giggs, but that's it IMO. He cannot play in the Prem with his size speed and lack of USPs to use a Johnsonism. Players have an opportunity every day in training, and every second they're out on loan. Holden's been really good SO FAR with his analysis on players so I'm pretty comfortable with this decision.

I think it's good for Joe who'll want first team football as he mentioned in that BBC interview, and it's good that someone came in and offered us something for a player who's low in the pecking order here, who's behind at least three players either his age or younger than him.

We already have players who can do what he can do. For those whining he hasn't had a chance, you get your chances every day. Every time you play on loan. How do you think Bakinson got a shot? By performing. Morrell was training with us for months at the end of last season. Walsh impressed enough, Moore impressed enough, those were both players out on loan and who came back to train with us who got the exact same shot Morrell did.

So totally fine with this. Hope he does well in his career except against us, time for him to move on, time for us to move him on. All good IMO.

Good summary of the current situation.

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Finally a sensible voice.

Hilarious the replies of many on OTIB

Oh my, what an odd response.

Perfect example of someone seeing something in him that he hasn't ever done

and look where he is now

I disagree, it is exactly like Wes Burns, in that at the time many were talking about him as the future of our club, yet was never setting the world alight anywhere

Unless you are related this is a really unhealthy and concerning reaction from an adult

But would explain your obsession with trying to make him look better with all those numerous charts and screenshots

Bad day hun?

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

You are stuck in Sweden aNd have hardly seen the guy play. The management and coaching team work with him EVERY DAY. He wants first team football, he can get it in Luton's much smaller squad. The statement is not bullshit, which you should be able to recognise as it makes up 99% of your posts.

I have seen Joe play for Cheltenham, I have seen Joe play for Lincoln, I have seen Joe play for Bristol City, I have seen Joe play for Wales

DH has been making noises about Walsh being a key player when fit. Wouldn't surprise me though if he also went tomorrow. If we need to move more midfielders out he's one you would think would be easier to sell. 

I'm sure Deano would find a way to spin it - e.g. contract negotiations took a turn for the worst 

Best of luck to Morrell. Sadly he seems to have matured at just the wrong time for our team.

But this is yet another example of the Bristol City academy successfully developing a boy into a young man who is making a successful career in the football league. Not every academy player can play for us, and for me the pathway is just as viable if it simply leads to a young person having a successful career.

In years to come we will see if he's one that got away, or if we perhaps made the right choice.

For now we can all just wish him well.

8 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I have seen Joe play for Cheltenham, I have seen Joe play for Lincoln, I have seen Joe play for Bristol City, I have seen Joe play for Wales

He played 8 games for Bristol City.

I'm impressed you can watch League One and League Two games in Sweden..... 

Just now, Selred said:

Hesgoal.com

1 minute ago, Selred said:

And I actually watch the games.

For the best. People have summarised well re the pecking order and how Ty, Williams, Massengo, Nagy are ahead of him. If we’ve got rid of Ty’s sell on and secured a fee, as seems to be the case, good business.

Best of luck Joe. Have a stinker against us please matey.

Even though I never saw him play for us and saw glimpses at Lincoln and Cheltenham, I feel annoyed that we let him go. Only natural I suppose for someone who has came through the process. The Irony is former Luton player Bakinson has kept him out the team. I wish him luck .... Luton's a poppy hole!!!!

4 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

For the best. People have summarised well re the pecking order and how Ty, Williams, Massengo, Nagy are ahead of him. If we’ve got rid of Ty’s sell on and secured a fee, as seems to be the case, good business.

Best of luck Joe. Have a stinker against us please matey.

I’m not convinced in the current financial landscape we will have traded any future sell-on.  I would think we’d want a deal purely based on Joe, to maximise what we can get now.

No ITK, just my thinking.  We may never sell Bakinson!

There was a good piece in the Athletic re sell-ons, and the likes of Exeter earning a whole season’s revenue from Ollie Watkins.  On the flip side, Walsall were desperately hoping Deeney was gonna get sold from Watford last year....but he didn’t.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You said you haven't watched him play much and have been critical of others for being too positive about Morrell without watching him play much either. Applying your own logic, how can you say the above?

Well, it appears my.logic is closer to DH than yours..

8 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Hesgoal.com

And I actually watch the games.

Out of interest, where would you put him in a list of our midfielders’ ability? How many of Williams, Bakinson, Walsh, Nagy, Massengo, Brunt, Paterson, Weimann, Palmer etc is he ahead of? Certainly was in the frame for time in the team, but not an automatic pick.

Anything else is sentiment. A better chance at Luton is probably a sensible choice that he decided to make. We’re clearly not selling him to make money.

• The title was changed to Joe Morrell - Perm to Luton Confirmed (Merged)
42 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I've not read anyone on here that has seen him play for Cheltenham or Lincoln.

@Davefevs and @Shtanley have watched him fairly extensively as far as I know. They're the two that have expressed opinions the strongest. @Shtanley was bang on about Bobby Reid and Lloyd Kelly well before the rest of us and @Davefevs, as we all know, clearly understands his football and backs his views up with stats. I'm not sure how much more you could ask for as far as OTIB anecdotal testimonials go. 

Luton aren't Championship standard, fully expect them to be battling to stay up

They're 5th and we're top - what does that say about us then?

7 figure fee, you're having a laugh. 

Completely unproven at this level, those more ITK are quoting nearer £200k

It seems it is nearer 200k, but I was basing 7 figures on speculation I read elsewhere. Potentially after add-ons, potential cancelling out of Bakinson clauses etc it could easily end up being 7 figures.

What's weird about Morrell is that there are a couple of posters who'd seemingly rather he performed badly in games (see comments post-Wales vs England) or was sold to be 'proven right' about others overrating him. It's a bit strange.

It would be interesting to know if management favoured Joe Morrell above HNM, Nagy, O'Dowda and Palmer. They may well have done and, personally, I do although HNM is definitely 'one for the future'.   It's disappointing they got plenty of games last year when Morrell may well have shined.

The others mentioned are not so easy to move compared to a young international on more reasonable wages.   Joe was almost certainly behind the midfield pecking order of Weimann, Paterson, Walsh, Bakinson , Williams and Brunt.   

Morrell is a terrific player and gets stuck in but City have suffered in the past in terms of  letting in set piece goals from a lack of midfield / full-back height and being out muscled and Dean Holden has quite rightly addressed that in the team through personnel and formation changes.

So a really difficult decision and I'm disappointed he didn't get a chance last season, but the right decision now if a good sell-on fee has been negotiated.  Only fair on the player too.   I hope the Walsh contract is sorted as it would be disappointing to see both him and JM leave for a relative pittance.

30 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

How? You have made a judgement which contradicts your own criteria!

My logic was simple. Too early to be raving about how wonderful he is. Reserved judgement 

On that basis I was unsure ..... It appears DH also unsure about his ability to make it, hence he's gone to Luton. Logic sound. 

Those who have banged on about him and had stats and Welsh reports of stardom etc, surely you can take a deep breath now and accept the real experts don't think he will cut it at a team like city.

End of debate

Good luck Joe ?

Archived