IGNORED

Joe Morrell - Perm to Luton Confirmed (Merged)

B-Rizzle

22 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Dear Mr. me

There’s nothing to ‘agree to disagree’ over because I’m fairly apathetic about Morrell due to not really knowing much about him. I think I watched him once in the flesh whilst he was here.

If I and many others were advocating his immediate inclusion in the first 11 then you might have a point - but people weren’t.

There’s a few posters on here who’ve convinced themselves of the existence of some ‘Joe Morrell Ultras’ who’ve been fervently campaigning for his inclusion in the first 11. They’ve weirdly convinced themselves that posters will be distraught that he’s moved. I haven’t seen that at all.

The issue is that you’re making a very nuanced point, as @TransferForum said above, into a simplistic ‘he must’ve been crap because we sold him’. It’s the sort of vapid analysis you usually see on the ‘CITY TILL I DIE’ Facebook page rather than Otib.

I took issue with your opinion on this player because it was full of inconsistencies and hypocrisies. You would criticise others for being too positive about Morrell but then advocate Walsh’s inclusion in the team. You say a move to Luton or L1 is about right but admit you haven’t watched him play.

Correct, a team that was fighting off relegation last year feels closer to the level of Lincoln than us. Were blessed with MD options. Perhaps Luton have a gap

I'm not alone in thinking Luton is a good fit. Ask Luton management team, they seem to agree.

I only backed Walsh as I've seen him play, came with good reviews from a Prem team and helped win league one for Cov.

Fairly sure that's a consistent view. Based upon me see him play

Ref Joe. I only said reserve judgement and won't sing praises and make a fuss until I've seen him play. 

Hard to see how any of that is not logical. However, I'm sure you'll want to reply again to make another point and on we go again....

Winter nights must fly by in your house

32 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I think you’re ignoring the circumstances surrounding the finances of the club at the moment.

We are top heavy in the midfield department and need to trim the squad. 

I am persuaded that the club would have preferred to have had firm offers for other players than Joe but didn’t /haven’t so they just had to roll with it. 

It doesn’t mean that the ‘ experts’ didn’t rate him,that is too simple and naïve to have any credence.

Rubbish.... If it were based on finance we could of loaned him out easily. No wages.

The fee we got was apparently insignificant. 

A trim of numbers to ensure the best players got to play makes sense.

24 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

If it were based on finance we could of loaned him out easily. No wages.

You misunderstand, we, like most every other sports clubs, have significant reductions in revenue streams. 

We needed to reduce our wage bill , loaning him out whilst achieving that goal would not have augmented the club’s bank account by very much other than a nominal loan fee if we could have got one. 

A permanent transfer gets money in the bank and a player’s wages off the bill. 

It is , of course, never completely black and white. I am sure that the club didn’t let Joe go without some sadness. 

20 minutes ago, Sturny said:

What strikes me as odd is the fee being lower than I would expect, makes me wonder if we wanted him out all window but he was waiting for a champ team. I imagine some L1 teams could’ve even afforded that? 

We don’t know the fee.

We do know that the transfer market is suffering with the uncertainty over the future revenue streams. It is very hard to move players on at the moment let alone get a transfer fee for one. 

9 hours ago, TransferForum said:

Luton are currently 3 points behind Bristol City after Bristol City have had their best start in lots of years

That isn’t relevant to my point and I am sure you know that. That means zip.

My comment really did sound harsh but it wasn’t meant to be, I am disappointed and surprised that he’s gone. I guess my comment just meant that I have faith in the club that they wouldn’t let him go unless they thought we couldn’t manage without him now and not regret it in the future.

i am delighted for joe that he will be playing regularly, all players deserve their chance to do that and I am sure he will shine and it’s a shame it’s not here

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We don’t know the fee.

We do know that the transfer market is suffering with the uncertainty over the future revenue streams. It is very hard to move players on at the moment let alone get a transfer fee for one. 

I’ve seen plenty of SM posts rumouring roughly 200k but of course we don’t know the potential add-ons etc. This was just an observation point of view from the rumoured numbers I’ve seen. I’m well aware that can change. Just felt it was still a tad low with all things considered 

1 hour ago, Matthew me said:

Correct, a team that was fighting off relegation last year feels closer to the level of Lincoln than us. Were blessed with MD options. Perhaps Luton have a gap

I'm not alone in thinking Luton is a good fit. Ask Luton management team, they seem to agree.

I'm not sure I understand your point here, if you're talking about Luton from a squad depth point of view - meaning Morrell may get more opportunities due to Luton having less midfield options then yes, that goes without saying. If you're making a point about squad quality - then that's inconsistent. You admit you haven't watched Morrell play very often so by your own metrics it would be hypocritical to state that.

I only backed Walsh as I've seen him play, came with good reviews from a Prem team and helped win league one for Cov.

Fairly sure that's a consistent view. Based upon me see him play

But as I pointed out a couple of weeks ago, you can't have watched Walsh play because he simply hasn't played for us very much over the span of his time here. He's only featured in 5 consecutive games for us on one occasion that that was 2 years ago. Not enough to go on. 

Ref Joe. I only said reserve judgement and won't sing praises and make a fuss until I've seen him play. 

Hard to see how any of that is not logical. However, I'm sure you'll want to reply again to make another point and on we go again....

Yes, but the only people making any informed comment about Morrell's ability or potential are those that have watched him play. There are more ways to watch a player than simply Bristol City games. Some people on this forum watch the game to a more in-depth level than you or I. 

Winter nights must fly by in your house

It may almost be winter but roasting you keeps me nice and warm ?

40 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm not sure I understand your point here, if you're talking about Luton from a squad depth point of view - meaning Morrell may get more opportunities due to Luton having less midfield options then yes, that goes without saying. If you're making a point about squad quality - then that's inconsistent. You admit you haven't watched Morrell play very often so by your own metrics it would be hypocritical to state that.

But as I pointed out a couple of weeks ago, you can't have watched Walsh play because he simply hasn't played for us very much over the span of his time here. He's only featured in 5 consecutive games for us on one occasion that that was 2 years ago. Not enough to go on. 

Yes, but the only people making any informed comment about Morrell's ability or potential are those that have watched him play. There are more ways to watch a player than simply Bristol City games. Some people on this forum watch the game to a more in-depth level than you or I. 

It may almost be winter but roasting you keeps me nice and warm ?

My god... You can't let it go

Yes squad comment ref Luton

Yes I can comment on Walsh as I've seen him play!!! Five games is enough .... Look at the hype bakinson is getting after a few matches 

These people that watch more in-depth are just amateurs like you and me! Just because they spend more time watching matches and looking at stats, that doesn't mean my opinion is wrong!!

If we want to play that game, check my previous messages. I tipped Luton to get off to a great start and for Joe to leave

On that basis I'm a genius ... I'm clearly not

• Admin
12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Some of these games were before I started working with his dad a while back. 

Ahh, that explains your commitment to JM

11 hours ago, TransferForum said:

Joe is a bit disappointed because he’d have liked to have made it with his home town club but is so excited to go to a championship club where he is no longer the Academy prospect and is there because the manager wants him not because he inherited him.

Football is the most bonkers industry(honestly one day I will write a book), so full of opinions which is why we love it. OTIB is the embodiment of that which is why Ill miss it now I don’t have to lurk in the shadows to see what you’re saying about my son. Finally I just want say good luck for the future, be nice to each other (especially Fevs) and there really is only one team in Bristol.

Dave Morrell

A very well written piece Dave ( @TransferForum )

Ultimately everyone on here can only with Joe all the best with his footballing career, it is some testament to Joe that so many people would follow his games at other clubs and that lot that are based in Cardiff

Some parents of players in the past have taken great offence to comments on here, and I am sure is can be as equally nice reading positive comments and is it difficult reading anything negative

Pass on our best wishes from all at BCFC

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Opinions backed up by information.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Consistent logic.

Eww look at you two, wanting logical consistency in arguments and using facts to back up thoughts. Gross!

I keep thinking I should keep a record of games I watch so that positively I can have notes to remember as I forget!, and negatively that I can show people on here who question it! I don't because of the negative side!

46 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

These people that watch more in-depth are just amateurs like you and me! Just because they spend more time watching matches and looking at stats, that doesn't mean my opinion is wrong!!

Being paid to do something doesn't make you good at it. I'm not saying you're doing this but there's a lot of people on here who like to try to shut down debate by saying something along the lines of "You're not the manager, you don't know", which is kinda correct, they have A LOT more information than we the average fan does, but it doesn't make them immune from criticism, and it doesn't make just amateurs wrong either. And it definitely doesn't make the professionals RIGHT

As you say your opinion isn't wrong because you've watched him less than me, mine isn't wrong because I've watched him less than Dave Fevs, and his isn't wrong because he's watched him less than people at the club (one would assume and hope!) because we're all people making judgements on the information that we DO have and hopefully not information that we don't have. I think you take issue with people doing that themselves, claiming that he's a world beater without having seen him play. I haven't seen that, but i have seen some real disappointed posts which is unjustified but understandable to me.

Where you are categorically wrong is saying he's been "bombed out" which means forced out by definition which he wasn't. That's just an error of language though so it's not a big deal but will cause people confusion. There's evidence to the contrary but no evidence in support of that.

Being sold from a club doesn't mean that someone isn't good enough or even thought of as not good enough. Good enough in this case I'm defining as being part of, (and being able to positively contribute to) a squad capable of winning promotion. It just means they don't fit the plans because we have an excess players who are ahead of him. But you're right in that it's clear we (Holden) didn't want him enough to keep him, because we had the power in this situation to keep him with his contract length. There also may have been pressure to get rid of him because of the squad size, so Holden may have had to compromise on losing a player he ranks higher than others who are still at the club because he was a saleable asset who had genuine interest.

There are definitely a few posters who are emotionally invested in ideas (academy) or players (creepy Taylor Moore stans!) but instead of fighting the forum as a whole you need to individually call them out when they post stuff you don't agree with.

53 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

My god... You can't let it go

Yes squad comment ref Luton

Yes I can comment on Walsh as I've seen him play!!! Five games is enough .... Look at the hype bakinson is getting after a few matches 

Out of those 5 games in 2018, Walsh only played a full 90 once. The difference with Bakinson is that he's looking top level in parts and noticeably impressive. Liam Walsh is a good player, I rate him and want to see more of him. I don't think anyone could argue that like Bakinson he's looked 'top level' for us yet.

On occasion you can accurately appraise a players ability on just the 'eye test' in a very small sample size - Tammy Abraham for example. I think in his first sub cameo it was pretty obvious we had something special. On the whole though you need a good sample size. Only 5 consecutive games (with 1 full 90') isn't really enough imo.

53 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

I would safely say that you can spot the posters on this forum that know football better than others. Obviously it's up to you who's analysis you read into and who's you ignore. Just because they're 'amateurs' doesn't mean they're wrong. 

I actually think we have the same opinion on Morrell, and it probably reflects the majority view on the forum. Something like this - We didn't really know whether he was ready as we haven't seen enough of him, but as he has enjoyed good progress over the last few years + international football maybe he's ready to feature for our first team this season.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Out of those 5 games in 2018, Walsh only played a full 90 once. The difference with Bakinson is that he's looking top level in parts and noticeably impressive. Liam Walsh is a good player, I rate him and want to see more of him. I don't think anyone could argue that like Bakinson he's looked 'top level' for us yet.

On occasion you can accurately appraise a players ability on just the 'eye test' in a very small sample size - Tammy Abraham for example. I think in his first sub cameo it was pretty obvious we had something special. On the whole though you need a good sample size. Only 5 consecutive games (with 1 full 90') isn't really enough imo.

I would safely say that you can spot the posters on this forum that know football better than others. Obviously it's up to you who's analysis you read into and who's you ignore. Just because they're 'amateurs' doesn't mean they're wrong. 

I actually think we have the same opinion on Morrell, and it probably reflects the majority view on the forum. Something like this - We didn't really know whether he was ready as we haven't seen enough of him, but as he has enjoyed good progress over the last few years + international football maybe he's ready to feature for our first team this season.

I want to disagree on sample size a little and say that I think 5 games can be enough IF it's an established player/in a system where they're set up for success.

I don't think have a huge read on Walsh for example because whenever he played for us it was in short bursts, and there were flashes of immense talent and also poor play. When I watched him for Coventry last season (twice) he was very good, but I'm not a huge fan of judging players in the lower leagues because I don't think it's that good! So I'm intrigued by his talent, and he seemed to be more consistent at a lower level but I'm more unsure of whether that translates that Morrell.

For Morrell watching him I think twice maybe three times for Lincoln last season, and definitely the last 4 Wales games so 6-7 times (+ the games for us, but not using those in my current opinions), I think I have a much better read as he was an established player for Lincoln, who played consistently each time (and I think he's easier to judge than Walsh because he's a less flashy? talent) and with a side that was setting him up to use his skill set in Wales. Again with Walsh he was in a two sometimes which I'm not sure suits him.

2 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I want to disagree on sample size a little and say that I think 5 games can be enough IF it's an established player/in a system where they're set up for success.

I think it can be in certain circumstances. If Walsh had started 5 FULL games I think it might be more acceptable - he didn't though. It was also 2 years ago so difficult to judge in the current context of his ability. 

I don't think have a huge read on Walsh for example because whenever he played for us it was in short bursts, and there were flashes of immense talent and also poor play. When I watched him for Coventry last season (twice) he was very good, but I'm not a huge fan of judging players in the lower leagues because I don't think it's that good! So I'm intrigued by his talent, and he seemed to be more consistent at a lower level but I'm more unsure of whether that translates that Morrell.

Agreed. From what I've seen of Walsh, he clearly has excellent vision, passing range and tenacity. Those qualities are clear from his appearances and I think he's potentially very exciting. He could complement our midfield really well I think. 

I agree on judging players on lower leagues, it's difficult to gauge the quality. I think there's a fairly big jump up in intensity and quality from L1 to Champ. 

For Morrell watching him I think twice maybe three times for Lincoln last season, and definitely the last 4 Wales games so 6-7 times (+ the games for us, but not using those in my current opinions), I think I have a much better read as he was an established player for Lincoln, who played consistently each time (and I think he's easier to judge than Walsh because he's a less flashy? talent) and with a side that was setting him up to use his skill set in Wales. Again with Walsh he was in a two sometimes which I'm not sure suits him.

Agree on 'less flashy' talent too. Even Bakinson is more 'flashy' but in a different way. Midfielders like him (think Marvin Elliot) breaking up play, winning big tackles and aerial duels will always stick out more than a 'busy' defensive minded midfielder. Based on what I've seen, Morrell seems to be a 'cog in a midfield system' type player. Not the goalscorer or primary ball winner - but someone who dictates the tempo and links the defence and attack. I can see why LJ would have liked him based on that.

33 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it can be in certain circumstances. If Walsh had started 5 FULL games I think it might be more acceptable - he didn't though. It was also 2 years ago so difficult to judge in the current context of his ability. 

Agreed. From what I've seen of Walsh, he clearly has excellent vision, passing range and tenacity. Those qualities are clear from his appearances and I think he's potentially very exciting. He could complement our midfield really well I think. 

I agree on judging players on lower leagues, it's difficult to gauge the quality. I think there's a fairly big jump up in intensity and quality from L1 to Champ. 

Agree on 'less flashy' talent too. Even Bakinson is more 'flashy' but in a different way. Midfielders like him (think Marvin Elliot) breaking up play, winning big tackles and aerial duels will always stick out more than a 'busy' defensive minded midfielder. Based on what I've seen, Morrell seems to be a 'cog in a midfield system' type player. Not the goalscorer or primary ball winner - but someone who dictates the tempo and links the defence and attack. I can see why LJ would have liked him based on that.

My views on Morrell are earlier in the thread and pretty much align with what you say.

On Bakinson I watched him vs Leeds under 23s for us at the start of last season, he was absolute trash and miles off the standard. Now that game was too small a sample size/not established/not set up for success. For Plymouth (1 game + highlights) he looked like he was playing vs children, but he still made mistakes and I'm glad he was making them in a lower league for someone else! Thought the natural progression was a league 1 loan this season so I expect a form dip/when teams work out to press him.

I don't think Bakinson is Marvin Elliot at all. Not accusing you of this as I've seen this comparison elsewhere but I wonder if there's a tendency to go he's black/defensive/central midfield/good and just compare them without watching/remembering the play. There's a difference in the quality of delivery and Bakinson isn't all action running everywhere. He's a rangey sweeper but the stand out thing about him for me is the ability to play the ball forwards. Marvins energy/strength and bursting forwards as well as his doggedness were his best features IMO. Joe Williams is more the Marvin Elliott type with more ability IMO. Marvin played best/we were most successful alongside Lee Johnson which was why I was very interested in a Morrell/Williams tandem as the dynamic is one we've seen work before and because I think of them of having extra attributes over the previous generation I think still could work in the modern game.

9 minutes ago, Prinny said:

My views on Morrell are earlier in the thread and pretty much align with what you say.

On Bakinson I watched him vs Leeds under 23s for us at the start of last season, he was absolute trash and miles off the standard. Now that game was too small a sample size/not established/not set up for success. For Plymouth (1 game + highlights) he looked like he was playing vs children, but he still made mistakes and I'm glad he was making them in a lower league for someone else! Thought the natural progression was a league 1 loan this season so I expect a form dip/when teams work out to press him.

Agreed 

I don't think Bakinson is Marvin Elliot at all. Not accusing you of this as I've seen this comparison elsewhere but I wonder if there's a tendency to go he's black/defensive/central midfield/good and just compare them without watching/remembering the play. There's a difference in the quality of delivery and Bakinson isn't all action running everywhere. He's a rangey sweeper but the stand out thing about him for me is the ability to play the ball forwards. Marvins energy/strength and bursting forwards as well as his doggedness were his best features IMO. Joe Williams is more the Marvin Elliott type with more ability IMO. Marvin played best/we were most successful alongside Lee Johnson which was why I was very interested in a Morrell/Williams tandem as the dynamic is one we've seen work before and because I think of them of having extra attributes over the previous generation I think still could work in the modern game.

There definitely is, the comparisons of Essien/Viera etc were lazy. It's a bit persnickety of you, but the reason I chose Marv as a basic comparison is due to their fundamental style meaning fans remember their impact. 

I could have probably chosen a more accurate direct comparison if I was going into detail about their attributes but it was just a quick reply to you in a couple of minutes to emphasise a point about how fans remember players due to their style rather than 'Bakinson plays exactly like Marvin Elliot'.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed 

There definitely is, the comparisons of Essien/Viera etc were lazy. It's a bit persnickety of you, but the reason I chose Marv as a basic comparison is due to their fundamental style meaning fans remember their impact. 

I could have probably chosen a more accurate direct comparison if I was going into detail about their attributes but it was just a quick reply to you in a couple of minutes to emphasise a point about how fans remember players due to their style rather than 'Bakinson plays exactly like Marvin Elliot'.

That's definitely fair from an "impact/notability" perspective.

14 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I haven't really posted about Morrell. I've never pretended to have watched him extensively. I haven't really advocated his inclusion in the team, just countering the silly posts like yours and @Matthew me who have some sort of bizarre agenda about one of our academy products for some reason.

Nope, Shtanley was well ahead of the curve on Kelly and backed Reid when many (myself included) wanted him sold. 

Not really, he's got a respectable move to another Championship side who are currently only 3 points off our position. Not a bad move at all really. Reading between the lines he's moved for first team football. We're well stocked in central midfield and probably can't guarantee him starts. Doesn't necessarily mean he's been 'overrated' - just a victim of the circumstances.

I backed Reid as well, so does that add weight to me not being that bothered about Morrell going?

I think Morrell will have a decent career in football, but don't think his abilities will be at the level needed for City, at least not at the right time.

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I backed Reid as well, so does that add weight to me not being that bothered about Morrell going?

Not necessarily - it's up to you what you think and which posters opinions you take notice of. I just trust Shtanley's opinions on young players because I know he specifically watches youth team games and has a good track record. He'll probably be proven right on Semenyo too.

My own feeling that a Morell that stayed here would have become a Cole Skuse type player with the fans. That same consistent central midfield performance that would have brought some praise during a good run and castigation during a bad one, an easy target for the boo boys.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Ahh, that explains your commitment to JM

A very well written piece Dave ( @TransferForum )

Ultimately everyone on here can only with Joe all the best with his footballing career, it is some testament to Joe that so many people would follow his games at other clubs and that lot that are based in Cardiff

Some parents of players in the past have taken great offence to comments on here, and I am sure is can be as equally nice reading positive comments and is it difficult reading anything negative

Pass on our best wishes from all at BCFC

It shows my commitment to wanting to watch him play..  It certainly doesn’t mean a commitment to blow smoke up his arse.  I try to be fair in my opinions of all players.  

Even the ones I’m more critical of it’s mainly because I think they have more to offer than they do.  I don’t think any of our players are shite.  I don’t think any of them are “League One”.  They might not be good enough to force their way into a regular slot in a top 6 team every week, but all of them are good enough footballers.

@Port Said Red and @Prinny good debate.  Lots to agree with on both sides, and lots you are joined up on too. ??

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

My own feeling that a Morell that stayed here would have become a Cole Skuse type player with the fans. That same consistent central midfield performance that would have brought some praise during a good run and castigation during a bad one, an easy target for the boo boys.

Do you mean someone for whom playing professional football at L1 and even Championship level looked fairly easy when the whole team was playing well, but who couldn't raise his game above very average when the team was struggling?

54 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not necessarily - it's up to you what you think and which posters opinions you take notice of. 

It would be nice to hear your own opinion rather than just going off the basis of someone else

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It shows my commitment to wanting to watch him play..  It certainly doesn’t mean a commitment to blow smoke up his arse. 

You have certainly been blowing like a chimney recently, maybe without realising?

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Do you mean someone for whom playing professional football at L1 and even Championship level looked fairly easy when the whole team was playing well, but who couldn't raise his game above very average when the team was struggling?

Yes that's a good summary, although I have to say that Skuse often looked our best player when we played good teams in the cup, maybe because he just did what he was good at. I remember when we played Ipswich a few seasons ago, we were 2-0 up and Skuse picked up the ball for them, took it on 20m or so and passed to one of their players, all neat and tidy as usual. I turned to my daughter and said that I felt that summed him up, you got the same whether you were 2-0 up or 2-0 down. Didn't Mick McCarthy call him "Mr 7/10"?

14 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

It would be nice to hear your own opinion rather than just going off the basis of someone else

I don't really have one on Morrell because I didn't get to watch him too much. I hoped he might feature this season, but seeing as we have lots of competition for places it was always going to be tough. Luton looks like a good move for him to get first team football.

I watched 17 mins + injury time of Joe Morrells 23 minute + debut on a second monitor.

He came on at 0-2 down to Stoke. He played in the continuity role, getting the ball off the defenders and spreading the play/passing the ball slightly further forward and he had a tame side footed shot from 25 ish yards out. He also ran into their box once!

Meh! Obviously not judging him off this! But it's the same consistent and unspectacular performance as every time I've seen him.

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thought i'd just bring this thread back up. Could not even make the bench again last night.

Luton play 3 central midfielders, and have 3 central midfielders on the 9 man bench.

So I guess that means Morrell is 7th choice central midfielder for them?

Still early days, but so far it doesn't look a bad decision selling him

I thought he was injured.

Archived