Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Joe Morrell - Perm to Luton Confirmed (Merged)

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, I totally get the Brunt signing for experience and his playing ability (he still has a cultured left foot)...and probably the way he will enforce standards on and off the pitch, but I do wonder how many minutes he will get?  I’m happy to trust Holden on this signing, but I see it as a blocker for players, not just Joe.

Because football is so black and white isn’t it?  Very few (if any) are saying he’s amazing, they (me included) are saying he’s good enough to compete for minutes in this City team.  Football has too many dynamics to paint your attempt to sound clever. Unfortunately at this time, City have too many midfielders.

By your “logic” I might argue he must be brilliant, because another team actually want to buy him, unlike several other players!

Luton are 5th by the way!

Calm down Dave.  I’m not trying to be clever.  I just don’t see it with Morrell.  Decent lower championship midfielder who is way down the pecking order and rightfully so.  

You may remember me being big on youth players and backing the likes of Taylor Moore when many wrote him off. Semenyo as well.  But that doesn’t mean I need to blindly back all youth. Morrell has been overrated in his Wales performances and I can’t see him being missed.  

He’s a lovely lad though apparently.  He’s a friend of a friend who can’t speak highly enough of him and his dad so I hope he proves me wrong and realises his ambition to play Premier League football. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Morrell is behind Bakinson, Joe Williams and probably even Massengo in the position he is most likely to get picked for Wales. I don’t think Brunt has much bearing in this at all. 

I think Brunt is going to mainly be a sub for us and will get on most games. 

He offers a lot whether we are winning or losing I think. For a free transfer and maybe fairly high wages for just one year, I think he might be a very clever signing.

He offers things off the bench that Morrell would not offer. As long as he can still do it of course, which so far he has when coming on.

33 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Got to admit, this is what I find a bit disappointing about this.

No disrespect to Brunt and I know I'm being unduly harsh but I feel a 35 year old veteran who is not going to be a regular starter blocking a local lad from getting regular game time is something I hoped we were moving away from. I know that this isn't really fair - Vyner, Moore, Bakinson and Semenyo are all getting chances so it is hardly as if we have abandoned our young players - but I can't help feeling really disappointed Morrell hasn't at least had a chance. 

I think at this point, bakinson is the one who holds the dm role in the team, which is arguably what morrell would be looking at, brunt will be more of a holding sub to see games out if the early games of this season are anything to go by.

anyway, good luck joe, if the move happens!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Silly decision by the club to let him go, he'd offer us something different to most of our midfielders. 

I'd have him 4th in line for midfield level with Brunt. 

And £1m as well its an absolute steal for Luton imo. 

Luton will benefit him I hope he does well there really think he deserves it.Deserved his chance during our cup running season didn't put a foot wrong then gets shipped out on loan after. At least Giggs can see something in him. Disappointed if true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Henriksen, Massengo, Nagy, Palmer, Brunt and Williams all signed in the last ~18 months. 

How many of them were/are clearly better than Morrell? I personally think it's a travesty that he's going to leave with a single league appearance for us. 

Palmer, Nagy & Massengo cost ~£10m between the three of them. Would rather see any of them leave than Morrell personally. 

Callum O'Dowda has played more games in central midfield than Joe Morrell. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

If anyone wonders what an Internet forum looked like circa 1999, head over to the Luton one. Oh my eyes!

I could see one post that said he's currently having a medical based on this tweet.

Edited by Gazred
23 minutes ago, Street red said:

Luton will benefit him I hope he does well there really think he deserves it.Deserved his chance during our cup running season didn't put a foot wrong then gets shipped out on loan after. At least Giggs can see something in him. Disappointed if true.

Genuine question: can we take it from the above that you rate giggs as a coach/manager?

12 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Henriksen, Massengo, Nagy, Palmer, Brunt and Williams all signed in the last ~18 months. 

How many of them were/are clearly better than Morrell? I personally think it's a travesty that he's going to leave with a single league appearance for us. 

Palmer, Nagy & Massengo cost ~£10m between the three of them. Would rather see any of them leave than Morrell personally. 

Maybe he's just not good enough to play for a top half championship team. From what I have seen he is a very neat and tidy player but little more.

• Like 5

I'm going to play devils advocate here.

Holden is well aware of him and what he can do. If he currently can't get into our squad (or won't get in when fully fit if he's not quite ready), then why is he going to Luton?

No disrespect to Luton, but if he was THAT good, then surely he would be getting into our squad, or pushing for a move higher up the league standings?

I've personally not seen enough of him to form a decent opinion of him, but maybe he's not quite good enough to be where we are/want to be.

What I have seen of him, he looks a tidy player. We don't see him day in day out though.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Maybe he's just not good enough to play for a top half championship team. From what I have seen he is a very neat and tidy player but little more.

Back in April, I reckon most of us would have said at least two or three of Moore, Vyner, Bakinson and Semenyo weren't ready for Championship football and might never get there. All of them have grabbed their chance so far this season and I just find it a shame we'll never know with Morrell.

I'm not for a minute suggesting he's the missing piece of the jigsaw or anything like that but I do think that Nagy, Palmer, Massengo and O'Dowda haven't shown enough in central midfield to convince me they should be ahead of him. At the same time, I'm guessing economics play a part - specifically the fact that Nagy, Palmer, Massengo and O'Dowda have not convinced is precisely why we can't shift them and are having to shift the player there is a taker for...

• Like 6

Absolute madness. How we have arrived at this situation. Good young talented home grown international midfield being sold to Luton yet Johnson/club spent millions on Massengo/Nagy. You could not make it up for outright stupidity and mismanagement. Our loss will be Luton's considerable gain.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
19 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Couldn't put it better myself. Given more time, he might improve but, never set the third tier alight with dynamic performances and you have to trust the people that see him on a daily basis.

• Like 1

I reckon Morrell would of stayed if we could of shifted Nagy, Palmer & HNM on.

Unfortunately we do have far too many players for CM, and if the only player with interest is Morrell who is not a guaranteed starter then sadly we have to accept it if a reasonable deal can be made.

With Williams, Walsh, Pato, Bakinson, Weimann, Nagy, HNM, Brunt, Palmer all still here to occupy a 3 man midfield we need to shift on anyone whose not a guaranteed starter and wanted by another club, in my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
22 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

That probably what Deano thinks as well. 

The bottom line is that City have a plethora of midfielders and Morrell is seen as surplus to requirements. It happens all the time in football.

The fact that he’s a Welsh international means bugger all when you consider the likes of Dave Partridge and Mark Aizlewood were Welsh international ps as well..............:cool2:

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, Taz said:

I'm going to play devils advocate here.

Holden is well aware of him and what he can do. If he currently can't get into our squad (or won't get in when fully fit if he's not quite ready), then why is he going to Luton?

No disrespect to Luton, but if he was THAT good, then surely he would be getting into our squad, or pushing for a move higher up the league standings?

I've personally not seen enough of him to form a decent opinion of him, but maybe he's not quite good enough to be where we are/want to be.

What I have seen of him, he looks a tidy player. We don't see him day in day out though.

I think you are correct, but curious where you have seen him play?

14 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Absolute madness. How we have arrived at this situation. Good young talented home grown international midfield being sold to Luton yet Johnson/club spent millions on Massengo/Nagy. You could not make it up for outright stupidity and mismanagement. Our loss will be Luton's considerable gain.

Hasn't he only played one game for us?

I'd love to know what you base your opinions on?

22 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Genuine question: can we take it from the above that you rate giggs as a coach/manager?

I do rate Giggs hes a man that's been there and done it as a player in the biggest competitions and grew with the one of the biggest club in the world especially under the management of Ferguson out of all the former players ie scholes Neville butt etc Giggs is more in the management mold and yes the above doesn't make you a good manager but Giggs definitely has it about him..Managing Wales isn't the easiest of jobs from the perspective of limited players so seeing him develop younger players at international level is good to see especially below prem level and what better man Morrell can learn off.. Morrell is a quality and I still can't get my head around why he isn't playing regularly for city.

50 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I hope you are not forgetting the 35 minute sub appearance against Ipswich in the league... 

How could you forget the post games classic LJ quotes: 

"You could put him in the World Cup final and he'd still play the same way."

"He's got lovely hips"

A crazy statistic about Joe Morrell is that he made his debut for the club 7 years ago in a League Cup defeat against Wycombe Wanderers. That side contained Lewis Dunk and Marlon Harewood and I believe it was Marlon Pack's second appearance for the club. He's made 5 other appearances for the club in that time and three of them came in the FA Cup in the 18/19 season. 

It's fair to say he wasn't given a chance and it may be one that we regret. However, we have a ridiculously large squad with many talented players and, as others mention, we can only move players on if there's interest. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Street red said:

I do rate Giggs hes a man that's been there and done it as a player in the biggest competitions and grew with the one of the biggest club in the world especially under the management of Ferguson out of all the former players ie scholes Neville butt etc Giggs is more in the management mold and yes the above doesn't make you a good manager but Giggs definitely has it about him..Managing Wales isn't the easiest of jobs from the perspective of limited players so seeing him develop younger players at international level is good to see especially below prem level and what better man Morrell can learn off.. Morrell is a quality and I still can't get my head around why he isn't playing regularly for city.

we will have to agree to disagree on giggs, personally i don’t think he,s up to much, as for not getting in our team,he ain’t as good as bakinson

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Street red said:

Giggs without question was one of, and has played with some of the best players in the world over the last 20 years, but while morrell has played for wales, like cod with ireland, and Northern ireland at the moment, any pro in the english leagues is likely to get a call up for their team if they qualify for the squad.

as it stands, bakinson has the midfield role in our side at the moment and has been a revelation, and thats why morrell isnt playing regularly for city.

16 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Giggs without question was one of, and has played with some of the best players in the world over the last 20 years, but while morrell has played for wales, like cod with ireland, and Northern ireland at the moment, any pro in the english leagues is likely to get a call up for their team if they qualify for the squad.

as it stands, bakinson has the midfield role in our side at the moment and has been a revelation, and thats why morrell isnt playing regularly for city.

I worry we might be putting all our eggs in a Bakinson-shaped basket here. What if TB’s form tails off? It has done previously at Plymouth where he’s been accused of coasting after a promising start and he’s played just four league games for us. Then what? Go back to relying on Nagy and Massengo in the heat of Championship battle? That bit of grit and composure from Morrell would’ve come in handy and I suspect his sale will bite us on the ass. Poor decision but I hope he does well. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I agree with bakinson playing he deserves it 100% but Morrell deserved that chance a couple of seasons ago and my feeling is if given the chance then he would of provided the energy bakinson gives us now that's whats frustrating for me instead we went into the transfer market when we didn't need to... Yes any player can be called up but he's been regularly picked by Giggs so that says to me Giggs trusts him and rates him.

24 minutes ago, frenchred said:

we will have to agree to disagree on giggs, personally i don’t think he,s up to much, as for not getting in our team,he ain’t as good as bakinson

That's what's great about this forum and footie in general everything's up for debate 👍 Bakinson is different player all together to Morrell but that doesn't mean they can't play in the same team but we still have to go easy with bakinson it's early days and we don't want him disappearing like morrell has. 

6 minutes ago, tin said:

I worry we might be putting all our eggs in a Bakinson-shaped basket here. What if TB’s form tails off? It has done previously at Plymouth where he’s been accused of coasting after a promising start and he’s played just four league games for us. Then what? Go back to relying on Nagy and Massengo in the heat of Championship battle? That bit of grit and composure from Morrell would’ve come in handy and I suspect his sale will bite us on the ass. Poor decision but I hope he does well. 

On the contrary surely Joe Williams will be in that position possibly with Tyreeq as cover. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I think you are correct, but curious where you have seen him play?

Hasn't he only played one game for us?

I'd love to know what you base your opinions on?

Highlights mainly. As I said haven't seen enough of him, like many others.

Highlights can be very misleading though, so even then looking tidy doesn't really mean much. 

Presuming this goes through, we really have to presume that the coaching team doesn't rate him that much. With that in mind we're going to have to trust them. He may just be unfortunate in that he has too many people in front of him, and the club feels it would be better to let him go elsewhere.

Could end up being that we have a buyback option, or a very decent sell on, just in case he kicks on later. 

One other thing we need to remember though, is that David Partridge was also a Welsh international. Perhaps some people are seeing Joe Morrell Welsh International, and being blinded by the International bit.

I hope he kicks on and does well, with or without us, as it would be another success for our academy.

• Like 1
  • elhombrecito changed the title to Joe Morrell - Perm to Luton Confirmed (Merged)