IGNORED

Staying under the radar

sticks 1969

3 minutes ago, City oz said:

Depends on how old you are.

good times

76/77 at Arsenal, the Big all mighty cheese got us a 1-0 win.

Coventry away in the same season where Donny Gillies and sir Gerry Gow scored in a 2-2 draw.

Liver pool at home the same season where Chrissy Garland scored both goals in a 2-0 win.

I remember one of first away matches I attended and it was at Oxford 72/73 I was about 11 years old and there were thousands of City supporters and we won 2-0. Most of my school mates at Bris school were also there on the day.

my first home match in 1968 where my dad took me and we were in the east end against Middlesbrough.

Freight rover matches at Wembley 

Away games I attended - Oxford, Coventry, West Ham, west Brom, Arsenal, The gas under the Tote End, 

Please do not underestimate the good times as these far out way the bad times.

The good times are not just reserved for wins though. The joy of travelling to watch football with my mates are some of my best memories. While I didn't want City to be in the old 4th division travelling to watch us play at such exotic locations as Hartlepool, Darlington, Halifax, York (all now out of the league) and Rochdale was a joyous adventure. 

Get this month over and see where we are.

Win or draw against Bournemouth, Swansea and even Middlesborough (like him or loathe him, Warnock gets headlines), we'll no longer be flying under the radar. Otherwise, the radar will need a shake to register us.

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The good times are not just reserved for wins though. The joy of travelling to watch football with my mates are some of my best memories. While I didn't want City to be in the old 4th division travelling to watch us play at such exotic locations as Hartlepool, Darlington, Halifax, York (all now out of the league) and Rochdale was a joyous adventure. 

As we went down (and down) and got worse (and worse) I went more and more. Those 4th division days are among my fav time following City. The Chester promotion game probably my fav away game. 

55 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

As we went down (and down) and got worse (and worse) I went more and more. Those 4th division days are among my fav time following City. The Chester promotion game probably my fav away game. 

How could I miss Chester from my list. Living in London at the time me and a mate went up on the Saturday and stayed in a small local hotel near the station with a bar open until the early hours. Went to the funfair on the Sunday, joyously watched City gain promotion at the football on the Bank Holiday Monday, and having taken a couple of days off work went to the first day of Chester races (Chester Vase day) where I won enough money to pay for the weekend. What a trip! 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

It seems, so far at least that Ashton and Junior have made the right decision in appointing  Deano. However we are only four games in and there’s a long way to go yet...............:cool2:

Sure maximum points so far is a good start but the real test will come **if** City lose a couple of games and start slipping down the table...... 

Corrected that for you. 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't have the time or patience or inclination to go looking for the thread, I am sure there is some stato on here that can help, your favourite @Davefevs perhaps?

Nah, can’t be arsed.  ???

Busy looking at pass maps and average positions.  Sometimes the data shows some real anomalies.

4 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

By not appointing a big name manger we avoided the fanfare that brings

no big money sighings though we’ve made some good signings 

it’s going to get harder to stay out the spot light 

a

If it's down to the BBC website we're way below Wayne Rooney's Derby County! 

3 hours ago, Matthew me said:

The longer we remain top, the more sky games will follow.

Our sky record is shocking. I hope we go about our business under the radar and without fuss.

Let reading have the Tele games ?

This year more than most I guess a bit of extra income from being the sky game wouldn't hurt.

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

True. Getting there (into the 4th division I mean, not Darlington!) wasn't a lot of fun though. 

3 hours ago, Matthew me said:

The longer we remain top, the more sky games will follow.

That’s partially true, but Sky will always televise the games which they think will attract the most viewers. Prime examples, Leeds and Villa - even before they both went up.

We’re far more likely to be on TV against the likes of Forest, Sheff Weds or Norwich etc than Rotherham, Luton or Wycombe. 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

It seems, so far at least that Ashton and Junior have made the right decision in appointing  Deano. However we are only four games in and there’s a long way to go yet...............:cool2:

Sure maximum points so far is a good start but the real test will come when City lose a couple of games and start slipping down the table...... 

Who's to say we will, I know we are a pessimistic lot but you never know this just might be the year they surprise us all, I mean it has to happen one day surely.

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

How could I miss Chester from my list. Living in London at the time me and a mate went up on the Saturday and stayed in a small local hotel near the station with a bar open until the early hours. Went to the funfair on the Sunday, joyously watched City gain promotion at the football on the Bank Holiday Monday, and having taken a couple of days off work went to the first day of Chester races (Chester Vase day) where I won enough money to pay for the weekend. What a trip! 

See if you'd had a wife you could never have done all that. 

4 minutes ago, pillred said:

See if you'd had a wife you could never have done all that. 

Depends on how carefully you choose your wife.

My girlfriend (now wife) came on many away trips with us lads.

She didn't fancy hitch hiking up to Chester with us that day though!

7 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I think people should be happy with the start but it’s the same people that  when we lose a couple in a row will want Holden out, Lansdown is the devil and we should have had Hughton. Dems da breaks with forums though and fickle minds.

Well if you're looking for balance and rationalisation you've come to the wrong place ?

I'm intrigued. Anything could still happen this season but the positive start has made it exciting. Bound to be a bumpy ride along the way, no matter what.

36 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I think people should be happy with the start but it’s the same people that  when we lose a couple in a row will want Holden out, 

I don't think so.

The fact is many previously far from convinced by Holden's appointment have already stepped forward to say how delighted they are that DH has surpassed all expectations - of any incoming manager that is, not just DH.

Or in OTIB terms they are thoroughly enjoying 'eating humble pie.'

Dean is now a very popular figure amongst supporters - and not just because of the results - and I don't see that changing just because we lose a game or 2 now.

This under the radar question that pops up now and again, is really one about ego's and why there's little or no recognition of our club and it's standing within the football pyramid. The reasons in my opinion, are a mixture of things from lack of a history in terms of success, to lazy journalism from the media. We're not seen as a big club because we have no history of success, so the media look no further than that when it comes to making assessments on teams chances.

How do you measure how big club a club is? The media seem to judge it solely on history, so a club like Blackburn with attendances much smaller than ours, are seen as bigger, the same goes for teams like Reading, Preston and numerous others. Despite being in the top ten for actual and stated attendances, we are still thought of in the lower echelons of this division.

In some ways I'm pleased, in other ways it infuriates me, because it does also hold our club back. An example would be when competing with other teams for the signature of this or that player, we are often the also rans in winning that battle due to our clubs perception within the football community, I'd like to think it's changing but, when you have a commentator such as Ally McCoist writing off our chances of a top spot based on the evidence of one performance, it would seem to be entrenched into peoples minds, that's just lazy journalism.

This perception hasn't changed one little bit in the fifty odd years I've been reading about, or listening to views on our club, we are rarely held out as favourites to win any match, let alone challenge for promotion. Back in 75/6 a journalist predicted the final table with six games to go and we were in 2nd spot I believe, with WBA in the pack behind. He predicted that they'd overtake us and nab the 2nd place. It was lazy journalism based on their history, not on the remaining fixtures. I wrote to him and questioned his predictions which had us losing three times and how he could possibly come to that conclusion. He wrote back saying he hoped I was right, the history proved him wrong.

So if you're starting out on your journey of becoming a lifelong fan of this club, you'd better get used to being upset at not getting any pundits tipping us for promotion, get used to being ignored when it comes to highlights and get used to the newspapers talking all about Scunthorpe United, their manager and upcoming young player, in the Sunday write up of the match we won 4-0.

Archived