IGNORED

Best start since 1927/28; what happened next

ashton_fan

Our best start for a long time so I thought I'd look back at the last time we won our first 4 league games, in Division 2 in 1927/28.

Our first four results then were:

Notts County(A) Won 2-1

Port Vale(H) Won 4-0

Oldham(H) Won 2-1

Grimsby(A) Won 4-1

Following this we won our fifth game beating Reading 4-1 at Ashton Gate. The winning streak ended there and we only got one point from the next five games, the whole season was a bit streaky like we have been lately and we went on to finish 12th.

In our opening five games Cyril Gilhespy scored 6 goals but only went on to play 13 games in the season so this could have been because of injury or loss of form, he was a big signing for us costing £350 from Liverpool. We sold him to Blackburn in 1929. Our main striker at the time was Tot Walsh who scored six in a 9-4 win over Gillingham the season before, I don't know if that's still a club record. That season we got promoted as Champions from Division 3 so it may be we got off to such a good start in 27/28 as we were still riding the wave of confidence from the previous year.

Let's hope for better this time, we are an established club at this level now so should do better than the newly promoted 27/28 team.

8 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

Apparently we got two spankings when the 27/28 run came to an end so hopefully this current run doesn't match that one, I know we went on a long winning streak of 14 games in 1905 but was that the start of the session or was the 27/28 season our best ever start?

That 1905/06 season we won 14 on the bounce after losing our opening fixture which was Man Utd(A) which we lost 5-1 in front of 25000 fans (our home gates at the time were around 8,000), we went on to win the league (Division 2) that season and the following year we finished 2nd in Div 1 which I believe was our best ever season in the league.

31 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

Apparently we got two spankings when the 27/28 run came to an end so hopefully this current run doesn't match that one, I know we went on a long winning streak of 14 games in 1905 but was that the start of the session or was the 27/28 season our best ever start?

I might (probably) be wrong but I seem to remember we lost the first game and then won 14 in a row?

*Edit*I was apparently completely right for once....

https://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/matches/season/1906/

We got humped 5-1 and 6-2 in games 6 and 7 and didn't win again until the 11th game. Our opening ten were WWWWWLLDLL. Quite possible/probable something similar happens this season.

Whilst we're all enjoying the moment, it's fair to say that both Coventry and Forest deserved something from their games. Yesterday in particular was fairly poor at times. Very much a case of playing well for 25 mins, then getting battered for an hour. Bar a MOTM display from our goalie that was a home win yesterday. Play like that consistently and we are going to drop down the table pretty quickly.

There's some massive improvements over last season, but a fairer, more normal set of results might be DWWL. 7 points. Now that's still good, still nearly 2 PPG, and would still have us in the top 8 most likely. But it indicates that we're a little fortunate to be topping the league right now.

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Our best start for a long time so I thought I'd look back at the last time we won our first 4 league games, in Division 2 in 1927/28.

Our first four results then were:

Notts County(A) Won 2-1

Port Vale(H) Won 4-0

Oldham(H) Won 2-1

Grimsby(A) Won 4-1

Amazing to think that was the equivalent of the Championship, look where those teams are now.

And South Shields were relegated.

Plus, Bury finished 5th in the Premiership.

The "Pirates" finished one point above Merthyr Town in the division below us.

44 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Amazing to think that was the equivalent of the Championship, look where those teams are now.

And South Shields were relegated.

Plus, Bury finished 5th in the Premiership.

The "Pirates" finished one point above Merthyr Town in the division below us.

"What happened next"?

We sold our best players (Keating, Walsh, Bourton) and were relegated not long after, taking 20 years to get back to the second tier.

T'was ever thus! 

4 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Unreal that we have to go back pre war for a streak of four wins at the start of the season 

Shows what a great job DH and the players have done

You shouldn’t say things like that as some knob will tell you not to get carried away, it’s only four games. (It’s a marathon not a sprint, don’t you know)

But yes it does! Well done to DH 

Archived